Hunter

Yale

Slade

UCLA

UW(u of Washington)

Calarts

Columbia

SAIC

I have heard all these are great schools but don't know too many specifics of why they are good/bad. Got my BFA in Painting so my knowledge on 3d programs is not as good. Anyone else applying to sculpture? Any advice or suggestions concerning certain schools?

Hi all,

I'm applying to MFA sculpture programs right now for Fall 2010:

Hunter

Yale

Slade

UCLA

UW(u of Washington)

Calarts

Columbia

SAIC

I have heard all these are great schools but don't know too many specifics of why they are good/bad. Got my BFA in Painting so my knowledge on 3d programs is not as good. Anyone else applying to sculpture? Any advice or suggestions concerning certain schools?

I am applying to Hunter for sculpture as well. I'm also applying to SAIC but for fiber. I don't have any advice or suggestions, just wanted to say hey because this is the first i've seen for sculpture mfa on here.

I am applying to Hunter for sculpture as well. I'm also applying to SAIC but for fiber. I don't have any advice or suggestions, just wanted to say hey because this is the first i've seen for sculpture mfa on here.

How is the fibers program at SAIC? I was considering it as well since I use a lot of thread in my work...but I'm not sure which direction my work will take in the near future.

Thanks for saying hi! There are so many Painting MFA topics thought I'd start one for Sculpture.

Hi...I am also applying to sculpture MFA programs.

I also chose Yale and Columbia.

In addition, I am applying to VCU and Bard. VCU has a fantastic sculpture + extended media program. I guess it just comes down to whether or not you want to live in Richmond for 2 years. I have heard that they have fantastic funding though, so that is a huge plus for me. I am interested in Bard's low residency program...as a different option.

I chose schools in which I really like the work of former students and faculty, but also have great reputation.

I might apply to NYU, but haven't decided completely yet.

At first I was happy only ten images were required for Hunter but now that I'm actually picking out which pieces, it just feels less cohesive and incomplete. Oh well.

Someone suggested applying to VCU and it sounds like a great program but I really didn't want to live in Richmond. All the schools I'm applying to are in cities that I wouldn't mind living in, except for Yale maybe...but it's Yale. Ha!

Good Luck everyone! Hopefully we'll all be hearing some good results soon.

I'm only applying to yale for sculpture...applying to UCLA for New Genres, and to UCI/USC for studio

I heard Yale's Sculpture is very diverse, everyone I talked to told me to apply to it. I was told it was like SFAI/UCLA's New Genres program which is based on video/installation/performance art.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thanks for starting a sculpture thread! Atumble, I was also a painting undergrad now applying for my MFA in sculpture - it's great to find some camaraderie.

The four programs I've applied to are

Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD)

The University of Georgia

The University of Tennessee

and Pratt

I just heard back from Tennessee this afternoon and have an interview next week. (!!!) I am super nervous and definitely did not expect to hear from anyone until March! I know very little about this whole MFA process and didn't even realize an interview is normal protocol. Or is it?

Good luck to you all and I'll look forward to hearing how things go!

And for those of you considering Richmond - I spent the past couple years in Charlottesville, Virginia (about an hour west of Richmond) and can tell you, as long as you keep to the right areas (VCU included) you will be fine. Richmond is surprisingly nice. And this is coming from someone who is incredibly liberal, artsy, and gay! VCU is a great school with such a strong sculpture program. I say go for it, if it's not too late!!

Hello all,

Thanks for starting a sculpture thread! Atumble, I was also a painting undergrad now applying for my MFA in sculpture - it's great to find some camaraderie.

The four programs I've applied to are

Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD)

The University of Georgia

The University of Tennessee

and Pratt

I just heard back from Tennessee this afternoon and have an interview next week. (!!!) I am super nervous and definitely did not expect to hear from anyone until March! I know very little about this whole MFA process and didn't even realize an interview is normal protocol. Or is it?

Good luck to you all and I'll look forward to hearing how things go!

And for those of you considering Richmond - I spent the past couple years in Charlottesville, Virginia (about an hour west of Richmond) and can tell you, as long as you keep to the right areas (VCU included) you will be fine. Richmond is surprisingly nice. And this is coming from someone who is incredibly liberal, artsy, and gay! VCU is a great school with such a strong sculpture program. I say go for it, if it's not too late!!

Congrats!! That is really soon. Good luck with the interview. It seems a lot of the more competitive schools do have interviews.

I know I probably won't know anything til at least late Feb. but am already getting nervous... Back when I was working on my portfolio, I couldn't wait until applications were all done. Thought I would feel so great for finally being done with the horrendous application process...but I only felt relieved and happy for a few days. Now I'm back to feeling nervous and anxious.

Alright guys, heres my list:

University of Washington

NYU

MIT

University of Michigan

University of Texas

Northwestern

University of Chicago

University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Colorado at Boulder

University of California at Santa Barbara

University of California at Davis

Fortunately for me, my mind is at ease. I've already been accepted and nominated for fellowships at the University of Illinois at Chicago (full-funding fellowship!) and University of California at Santa Barbara. Didn't even have to interview.. I hope you guys get your phone calls soon! And if this year doesn't work out don't let it deter you from applying again. I applied to four schools last year with minimal success, and took another year to work like a maniac; creating a new portfolio, completing an internship at a gallery, joined a cooperative run gallery, received some grants & publicity, and was accepted for a residency program (VSC), and exhibited at a few shows... all to ultimately build my resume and make my application more competitive. My strategy for applying to this year's programs was mainly to get good funding! University of Texas, Northwestern, and University of Michigan offer very strong funding if you get in, and many of the other schools have good funding that is a bit more competitive/not as strongly guaranteed.

Also, for anyone's future knowledge, University of Colorado at Boulder offers in-state tuition through an alliance of graduate schools for residents of 17 western states..

Good luck everybody!

Congratulations on your success! I am taking a year off between undergrad and grad school, and your list of activities has inspired me. Obviously your strategy worked out very well for you. Can I ask how you supported yourself while making art, starting a non-profit artists group, and doing an internship at a gallery? It seems like a very daunting prospect in the future. Also, I was considering approaching a local gallery for a volunteer internship. How did you instigate your internship, or was it already open for applicants? The gallery I would like to apply to has never had an intern program before. Thanks again. I appreciate your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a rejection letter from SAIC today. Two down six to go...

@turnip: Hang in there!! I'm sure good news is just around the corner!

Thanks! I only applied to 4 schools, any of which I would be honored to attend. In hindsight 4 seems so few so I am just trying to think positive thoughts. eeeek!

I applied to

Yale-Rejected today

Columbia

UCLA

USC

RISD

CCA-Interview

I am surprised more people are not applying to CCA. They have amazing facilities and you can work with people in any department. They have a paid Independent study option with any artist you want to work with, and most of the great faculty from SFAI now working at CCA as well. So you can make your own program. I also heard they have great funding...soon to find out. The only down side is San Francisco for 2 years.

I just heard back from two schools about interviews.

SAIC Sculpture- Interview

SAIC Performance - Waitlist

CCA Social Practice- Interview

and I am waiting on hearing back from

Carnegie Mellon

Columbia

UCLA

Calarts

UNC

and UNC Greensboro

SAIC is the only school I applied to sculpture though.

Can't remember if I ever shared my list:

Yale: Rejected

Still waiting on:

Bard

VCU

Columbia U

I just noticed someone in a painting forum mentioned getting an interview at VCU....I've heard that they don't do interviews, just accept or reject. Does anyone know if that is specific to the painting department? Any sculpture applicants hear from anyone else lately? I'm getting increasingly nervous.

Edited by turnip

Hi everyone.. I've recently heard back from two additional schools:

U Chicago: Accepted..!

U Michigan @ Ann Arbor: Rejected (this is the program that lost my air-mailed, signed for and delivery-confirmed portfolio and asked me to resend another one within two days so they could review it.. I should have followed my gut instinct and withdrew my app rather than paying another $20~ to send the extra portfolio. On a different note, I heard from an unaffiliated art prof that the grad students at UM weren't terribly happy with the department.. good luck to anyone that is accepted to and chooses UM.)

• 3 weeks later...

anyone for sculpture hear from columbia, hunter, ucla or uw(seattle)?

Applied to sculpture:

Columbia

Hunter

USC

UCLA

Columbia just sent me an email for an interview this afternoon. Haven't heard from anyone else yet. Scanning the forums no one has heard back from many of these yet.

• 3 weeks later...