ASHA Requirement Online Suggestions?

Hey all -- seeking your best advice for those online Stats and Physics requirements.

Looked up taking stats at my local community college...but my undergrad math doesn't transfer over. I'd have to take TWO courses before even taking stats. The cost AND time commitment will certainly add up.

I'd rather pay the costs for an up front Statistics course. Any places you'd recommend? I'm doing my google research as we speak.

Thanks all! Have a wonderful week and best of luck prepping for grad school apps. 

1. I literally just finished signing up for https://is.byu.edu/description/PHYS-100-M001

I searched the forum for suggestions and found it.  It's around $549 for the course, cheaper than other online classes and less of a hassle to sign up.  The other schools I was looking into made registering for one class such a process.  Also, I just want to get this requirement out of the way without having to waste 6 hours going in person to my local community college since this is my first semester of my grad program, and still trying to work while I can.  I really hope it is not a scam and ASHA takes it.  I emailed my advisor about it and she said it looks ok.  But you can never be too sure :/ .  They give you a year to finish the course and you have to get a proctor to watch you complete both midterm and final exams, which sort of makes it feel a little bit more legit I guess.  Btw I can't believe I graduated without ever taking a physical science course, I felt lucky at the time never thought I would need one. 

Edited by Curlylets
words

Just found another one I might switch to this since I'm still iffy about BYU https://rcde.usu.edu/coursesearch/results.cfm?q=&classroom=false&blended=false

It's Utah State University online, and the intro to chem course is about $900 which is around $400 more but seems more legit since ASHA specifies physics or chem and I don't want anything affecting my ability to get my license.  I don't know if chem is a better choice than physics but I hated physics in high school and did well in chemistry. 

Edited by Curlylets

On 8/29/2016 at 7:09 AM, butteryles said:

Hey all -- seeking your best advice for those online Stats and Physics requirements.

Looked up taking stats at my local community college...but my undergrad math doesn't transfer over. I'd have to take TWO courses before even taking stats. The cost AND time commitment will certainly add up.

I'd rather pay the costs for an up front Statistics course. Any places you'd recommend? I'm doing my google research as we speak.

Thanks all! Have a wonderful week and best of luck prepping for grad school apps. 

Did you try asking the community college if they'll let you enroll directly in the stats class? Sometimes they'll do that if you explain your reasoning. 

As for Physics, I did it online at my local community college - you can check them out here: http://www.mcckc.edu/classes/credit/internet.asp you could register as an "out of area" student, and pay the extra fee's perhaps. 

Had a meeting with them today -- although my SAT scores are high enough to place me into the Stats class, they are too old. I guess I'm too old? :) 

I saw MGH has an online course with no prereqs. 1,500 bucks seems like a steep price to pay, but I'm weighing it against time as well as cashflow it would take to enroll in 3 different community college math classes. 

Thanks for your advice! I'll check it out. 

Hey, off topic but I want to confirm that these are ASHA requirements for certification and not a prereq for grad school RIGHT?!@!#%!@#$! I swore I saw these ASHA prereqs as a part of some programs prereqs and it gave me a heart attack. 

Edited by imunster

3 hours ago, imunster said:

Hey, off topic but I want to confirm that these are ASHA requirements for certification and not a prereq for grad school RIGHT?!@!#%!@#$! I swore I saw these ASHA prereqs as a part of some programs prereqs and it gave me a heart attack. 

You have to check with the schools you are applying to.  These are definitely ASHA requirements, and some schools do not require you to complete them before accepting you into the program.  I was accepted at Montclair State and NYU and I was missing the physical science requirement, plus most of my program prereqs. 

Edited by Curlylets

20 hours ago, imunster said:

I believe you are right that they are requirements for certification.  The clinical director at my school said some people still need to complete some of their ASHA requirements and obviously we are already enrolled in grad school.