Early action/Regular action/Early decision

Hima

Question

I have a GPA of 3.9. But I really want to get into Ivy League or some top Engineering colleges. I understand it's a really tough task. So I want to amplify my chances of getting in. I realised that my profile will not see any significant improvements in the time between applying early or regular. If that is the case, is it advisable to apply early? I heard that only those students who have strong profiles and are confident will apply increasing the early pool's competition. So what should I do?

Edited by Hima

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Hima said:

@rising_star, for grad schools they do exist. Like CMU has early decision whose deadline is 1st Nov whereas for regular it is in December.

This is what I get for posting before I'm fully awake. I meant to say for programs that offer funding at schools that have signed the CGS Resolution. In those cases, you aren't required to decide before April 15, which makes the question of regular vs early decision moot.

4 hours ago, Hima said:

@rising_star, for grad schools they do exist. Like CMU has early decision whose deadline is 1st Nov whereas for regular it is in December.

Where do you see early decision?

Application Deadlines

The following deadlines apply to single degrees within the Mechanical Engineering department. Applicants to dual degree programs should review application deadlines for both programs and submit their application by the earliest deadline.

Fall Term of Entry
PhD programs – December 15
MS programs – January 15

Spring Term of Entry
MS & PhD programs – September 30

The only thing I can see from that is the opportunity to start in the spring semester if you submit early. It isn't the same as early decision or early action.

Hey @rising_star and @Warelin , thanks a lot! I was under the wrong impression, just realised my mistake. Thanks again!

So, whenever I search for early applications it mostly ends up only for undergraduates. Are there any top Engineering Universities which offer MS in CSE with early action/early decision protocols?

Edited by Hima

1 hour ago, Hima said:

So, whenever I search for early applications it mostly ends up only for undergraduates. Are there any top Engineering Universities which offer MS in CSE with early action/early decision protocols?

As far as I'm aware, there's no early action/early decision for any Engineering schools. Just a word of caution: What reasons do you have to applying for "top" engineering schools? Have you evaluated your interests and what they specialize in? Sometimes, some smaller programs can be a better bet if its better adapted to your interests and research. If you're applying and hoping to land in industry, location is also an important factor. Programs do have to get accredited in order to be legitimate.