How important are GRE scores for Masters of Criminology Programs

Hello everyone!

I have been studying for and taking the GRE the past couple of months. I took it in August and got average scores in both Verbal and Quantitative (I'd rather not say exact scores as I am not too proud of them). A 5 in writing. I am taking it again in October. The truth is I absolutely blow when it comes to these types of tests. I did okay when I took the ACT in high school as well. I really do want to go back to school and earn a master's degree in criminology. I'm very worried that my GRE score will prevent me from going to a good program. Can anyone give me an idea of how important GRE scores are for masters programs in Criminology. I'm applying to masters programs at the following schools: 

University of Illinois at Chicago
Loyola University Chicago 
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Northeastern University 
University of Colorado - Denver 
University of Nebraska - Omaha 
University of Cincinnati 
Illinois State University.

I just don't really know where to find this information and it's really stressing me out about the whole thing. I'm worried that my GRE scores will be the reason I get rejected from schools.

I graduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago with a bachelors in Criminology. I would say I had a good overall GPA (3.12, I started as a business student and that really messed up my GPA my first year and a half of school). I have relevant internship and work experience. 

If anyone could share anything they know that would be awesome and very appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

@sdiaz1924 Hi there!

I'm on the same boat as you, except I'm applying for the PhD programs in Crim&CrimJustice for this upcoming fall 2017 semester. Being from Canada, this is my first time doing a standardized test for university admissions, but based on what I'm reading from these forum threads, the GRE scores can be very important -- especially at the Master's level. Even in Canada, I was told that GPA is really important for admissions in the Master's programs, whereas for the PhD, soft scores such as research experience, fit with faculty, and work experience are weighed more favorably.

That being said, I think a decent score/safe score for the GREs is around the 300-315 mark. Obviously, aim for higher, but if your application is competitive, the GRE shouldn't the breaking factor.

I'm preparing for the GRE myself and will be taking it this November -- I'm going for a one shot wonder, no retakes. I'm also pretty horrendous with standardized testings, but I'm just aiming for the average'ish score of 310-315. Try to email the schools that you're applying to and ask them what the average GRE score is for the students admitted. They should tell you a rough average and also answer any other questions you have.

Good luck my friend! Best of luck! I want to do my PhD at Northeastern as well, so if you get into NE for your MA, that would be super cool! 

Cheers!

My best advice to you would be to look at these programs' websites and see what their criteria is.  For example, Illinois State University does not require GRE scores for their master's program, and you must have at least a 3.0 GPA from the last 60 credit hours of undergrad.  There are plenty of master's programs that do not require GRE scores.

There's gonna be a huge variance among your list of schools of what they're looking for. Just do the best that you can.

For reference though, this article has admitted students gre scores, but it's for PhD students and a bit out of date: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10511250601144258

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have been reaching out to the schools I plan on applying to and many of them have said the similar things you all have mentioned. The scores are a requirement but application is looked at as a whole. That gave me sense of ease. I was stressing out about not being able to get into a good school because of it. 

@AspiringScholarPhD Cincinnati and Northeastern are my top choices. I would love to go to either. Best of luck to you as well!

Edited by sdiaz1924

@sdiaz1924 Cincinnati has recently emerged as one of my top choices too! I'm going to have a hard time debating between UCin, NE, and MSU if I'm admitted to all three! That is the dream...

Did you do your GREs already, by any chance? Gosh...I'm super nervous. They say that 50th percentile is a requirement, but the application is looked at as a whole. What does that concretely mean? Doesn't the word requirement mean "must" in order to be admitted? Haha, just me being nervous and anxious about applying and the results -- excuse me if I sound a bit silly and asinine.

It would be super amazing if we got into both UCin and NEU! Which one would you pick if you were admitted to both?

@AspiringScholarPhD You know I currently work with someone who is working on her doctorate at UCin's program and she's told me a lot of good things about the Criminology program there. It has actually emerged as one of my top choices as well! If I had to choose between UCin and NEU, I am not sure what I would choose. If I had to choose today, I would probably go with UCin. 

I actually take the GRE tomorrow. I'm super nervous about it. My Powerprep practice exam scores have not been super convincing and I have spent a lot of time prepping for it. I'm just hoping for the best.