Admissions committe workings

katalytik

Does anybody know how admissions committees work to decide? Do they ranks all candidates and give admissions to the top ones? Or do they pretty much allow the most powerful admissions committee members (maybe most research money) to decide? I know nothing about how this works, but it seems from listening to others........the approach is all over the place!

Every program is going to be different. For instance, I know UVA's Religion program takes their large stack of applications and looks for ANY (and I do mean any) reason to get rid of an application. Typo? Throw it out. Dislike syntax in the SoP? Throw it out. Somewhat low GRE? Throw it out. Then they go through the remaining stack and look for reasons to let you in.

Every program is going to be different. For instance, I know UVA's Religion program takes their large stack of applications and looks for ANY (and I do mean any) reason to get rid of an application. Typo? Throw it out. Dislike syntax in the SoP? Throw it out. Somewhat low GRE? Throw it out. Then they go through the remaining stack and look for reasons to let you in.

Is that why you didn't apply to UVA? tongue.gif

It varies. I think in areas that have researchers with independent funding, professors may choose their favorites independently. Then they meet and make final decisions together. In fields where funding comes from the university, a committee meets and deliberates together. I guess some cases might be agreed upon easily, in other cases there would be a discussion. Who wins? Who knows. Could be the professor from the subfield that currently has less enrolled students, or the professor who is looking for new advisees, or the powerful professor, or the one who wins the coin toss. I doubt there's one answer that's true in every case.

Terrible...

Man, that sounds rough. It is amazing how we could potentially be tossed out for simple reasons -- maybe even by accident.

Anyone know generally how many people are on an adcom? 5 or so?

I think this varies also. I do know about the Harvard program only cuz they are open about it. Each of the 5 or so tracks has one or two leads, and they all sit down to make decisions. So I assume anywhere from 7-10 on that committee. I guess the ones with less tracks may have fewer, but I think it varies with schools.

This topic would make such an amazing piece of investigative journalism.

Oh, I'm sure it's coming. The undergrad admissions process has become a big deal recently. I fully expect that we will see something similar with respect to grad admissions when those journalists' kids* start looking for grad schools.

Unfortunately, that won't help most of us.

* The writers who have focused on college admissions in depth all seem to have kids applying to college either recently or right now. Which makes it absolutely hilarious when their articles include the advice to parents "don't make the process about you" and "don't let it consume your life."

Oh, I'm sure it's coming. The undergrad admissions process has become a big deal recently. I fully expect that we will see something similar with respect to grad admissions when those journalists' kids* start looking for grad schools.

Unfortunately, that won't help most of us.

* The writers who have focused on college admissions in depth all seem to have kids applying to college either recently or right now. Which makes it absolutely hilarious when their articles include the advice to parents "don't make the process about you" and "don't let it consume your life."

That is a very good idea. I don't know if anyone saw that independent film on origami ("Between the Folds"), but something like that about committees would be interesting to watch. I am sure there will be a ton of interest outside.

I've heard the same thing about programs with high numbers of applicants. One typo, grammar error, misspelling, etc. and your app is trashed and they spend the fee.

I've heard the same thing about programs with high numbers of applicants. One typo, grammar error, misspelling, etc. and your app is trashed and they spend the fee.

Just curious - where do horror stories like these originate from (don't get me wrong, I am not being sarcastic at all)?

I guess each program is different. A grad program coordinator from one very large university assured me that they look at ALL applications and they would not just trash them because of a low GRE element or a typo. Maybe he was being dishonest, maybe not, who knows... I also got an interview from one very big program and I for sure know that I had a typo in my CV:). So I will remain hopeful:)