Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi!

I'm in the process of researching graduate programs to apply to for fall 2017. I currently work in a corporate archive and I absolutely love the work I do there. Though I realize a corporate archive is different from most archives, I'm interested in archives and special collections. I've been looking into programs in Archives and Public History, Library Science, and dual degree programs at NYU (MA in Archives and Public History/MSLIS with LIU), Rutgers (MI), UMaryland (MA in History/MLS or "HiLS" program), and others. From what I've read on other Grad Cafe posts, I've noticed that many people encourage a dual-degree program. I'm very interested in the dual-degree option, but worried about expense (especially for a school like NYU, which is a school I'm very interested in), post-grad debt, program opportunities, and job prospects upon graduation.

Does anyone have any helpful hints or tips about applying or researching programs? Is it more conducive to apply to an MA in Archives/Public History and MLIS dual-degree program? Or should I opt for an MA in History/MLIS dual-degree (certificate in Archives)? Or should I disregard the dual-degree altogether? Any, or all, information would be greatly appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!

I have just applied to three schools (University of Michigan, University of Texas, and UNC), for library science, and I plan to focus on archives and records management at whichever I go to. I am studying abroad this winter so I wanted to get my applications in early and done with, but now I'm waiting, and stressing. Since I did get them in so early, and most are rolling, I think there's a chance I could find out in December, but I feel like it will be in Feb (maybe Jan?) but definitely by March.

I will be coming right out of undergraduate, but I will have 4 years of experience, as I have worked at my college's Special Collections since I was a freshman, and I have another library internship experience. Could you tell me how corporate archives are different? 

The three schools I applied too are the highest ranked for archives-- along with Simmons, but I didn't apply there based on the negative things I've heard.

I can't say for sure, but I would suggest getting a master's in library science/information science with a concentration in archiving instead of a masters in history with a focus on archiving-- it's totally different things, and if I go off of what the archivists at my university have advised me, you want the library background NOT history. If you chose to get a dual degree in history AND library/information, that would be great. But if you're only going one, go library.

I didn't look at NYU as I just chose based on archives speciality, and since that's what you're interested in, I may suggest to check those out! The University of Maryland also has a good archives program, but I didn't apply there as it isn't *as* good, and it's too close to where I live, and one of the archivist (who went there) said they're still a little archaic in their methods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there's only two of you visible at this point, but I wish you the best of luck. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neist said:

I know there's only two of you visible at this point, but I wish you the best of luck. :) 

Thank you! I hope some more people start posting soon! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the process of applying for the Information Science PhD right now. Just about everything is complete, all I need to do is finish the SOP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2016 at 2:14 PM, avflinsch said:

I am in the process of applying for the Information Science PhD right now. Just about everything is complete, all I need to do is finish the SOP.

 

Good luck! Those are always the hardest! Where are you applying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Katie Herring said:

Good luck! Those are always the hardest! Where are you applying?

Rutgers New Brunswick - taking advantage of employee tuition benefits.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All,

I'm applying for Library Science and Archival degree as well. Possible schools I'm looking at are: University of British Columbia dual degree in MLIS and Archival, University of Washington MLIS, and a few online programs. I hope to get into University of British Columbia because I think Vancouver would be a great place to live. I feel like most MLIS programs are pretty much the same and what really matters is experience. I say this hoping my undergrad GPA won't totally kill my chances of getting into a Graduate program. I became really depressed and dropped out of school half way through a semester. By the time I got better and went back to school they couldn't do anything about the grades. So I'm really hoping that my ten years of experience working at both public and private libraries with some bookbinding, book repair, and conservation courses under my belt will be enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AceofCurls said:

Hello All,

I'm applying for Library Science and Archival degree as well. Possible schools I'm looking at are: University of British Columbia dual degree in MLIS and Archival, University of Washington MLIS, and a few online programs. I hope to get into University of British Columbia because I think Vancouver would be a great place to live. I feel like most MLIS programs are pretty much the same and what really matters is experience. I say this hoping my undergrad GPA won't totally kill my chances of getting into a Graduate program. I became really depressed and dropped out of school half way through a semester. By the time I got better and went back to school they couldn't do anything about the grades. So I'm really hoping that my ten years of experience working at both public and private libraries with some bookbinding, book repair, and conservation courses under my belt will be enough. 

 

It's difficult to say without knowing your GPA, but a lot of schools do not have incredibly rigorous standards, at least compared to many other disciplines.

Some brief thoughts on the school in BC. I'm not sure how schools in Canada are accredited nor am I sure how a Canadian degree translate into the US workforce. Something to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck everyone! I was in your shoes last fall! For lurkers and anyone else who may be interested, Texas Tech University's museum science program is really awesome. Its very interdisciplinary and you are able to to tailor the degree to fit your needs. Plus the museum offers employment and possible fellowships so you would actually make some money ha. For example, my focus is primarily on libraries, science museums, and national/state parks in the interpretative/educational programing. Only downside is that this isn't an accredited program for libraries but we are accredited by the American Alliance of Museums which is a close partner of ALA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2016 at 9:52 PM, gradnick said:

I've submitted my applications for Spring.  Wishing everyone the best of luck.

Good to see that you're still around. :) Good luck with your applications (as well as everyone else's)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got around to submitting my PhD app yesterday, hopefully i should know by late February (historically when the first round of acceptances went out)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

 I applied to the P.h.D in Education program and the Rutgers Graduate of Education request my university to send official transcripts for the application process. The thing is, I was born and I live and Brazil and here universities do not send transcripts. They (my university) gave me a official transcript which I took to a certified translator and then, I uploaded through the "supporting materials" page. Do you think they might decline me because of my transcripts situation? Are they so "stricted" about it?

 

Thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm applying to Drexel, University of Washington, and St. Johns University as an online student. I'm very interested in both archival studies and digital information management. I just finished my undergraduate Fall 2016 and am seriously nervous as I undertake all of this. I've been doing a bit of looking at dual master's but not sure yet if I'll attempt that. Anyway, just chiming in as another voice wanting to get involved in library science. Great to see all of you out there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2016 at 6:37 PM, Hernandez22 said:

Hello!

 I applied to the P.h.D in Education program and the Rutgers Graduate of Education request my university to send official transcripts for the application process. The thing is, I was born and I live and Brazil and here universities do not send transcripts. They (my university) gave me a official transcript which I took to a certified translator and then, I uploaded through the "supporting materials" page. Do you think they might decline me because of my transcripts situation? Are they so "stricted" about it?

 

Thank you very much!

I can't be certain, but it is doubtful. I would try directly contacting admissions to explain the situation-- just in case!

Edited by Katie Herring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2017 at 6:54 PM, Simplytrenton said:

I'm applying to Drexel, University of Washington, and St. Johns University as an online student. I'm very interested in both archival studies and digital information management. I just finished my undergraduate Fall 2016 and am seriously nervous as I undertake all of this. I've been doing a bit of looking at dual master's but not sure yet if I'll attempt that. Anyway, just chiming in as another voice wanting to get involved in library science. Great to see all of you out there!

I'm graduating this May-- so I'm pretty nervous about transition right into grad school as well! One of my coworkers went to Drexel and says positive things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2017 at 8:02 PM, avflinsch said:

Just got an email from one of my POIs - Interview scheduled for Tuesday.

 

Congrats! I hope it went well/good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Katie Herring said:

Congrats! I hope it went well/good luck!

Yes it did, our research interests aren't quite the same, but do overlap in many areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any experience with online MLIS or MLS programs, specifically U. Alabama? I have applied to U. Maryland, and am trying to select a fallback school with a 100% online option and tuition comparable to my Maryland in-state tuition. Good luck to everyone!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard back from the UMD iSchool PhD program? It seems like from previous years' results interviews start mid-January and acceptance letters start early February. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2017 at 11:11 AM, Adam G. said:

Does anyone have any experience with online MLIS or MLS programs, specifically U. Alabama? I have applied to U. Maryland, and am trying to select a fallback school with a 100% online option and tuition comparable to my Maryland in-state tuition. Good luck to everyone!  

I don't know of anything, I'm sorry! Good luck.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:34 PM, poopyhead said:

Has anyone heard back from the UMD iSchool PhD program? It seems like from previous years' results interviews start mid-January and acceptance letters start early February. 

I haven't heard of anyone that's heard back yet. I'm waiting to hear back from UNC, UMich, and UT myself. I'm really anxious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2016 at 9:55 AM, Katie Herring said:

Hey!

I have just applied to three schools (University of Michigan, University of Texas, and UNC), for library science, and I plan to focus on archives and records management at whichever I go to. I am studying abroad this winter so I wanted to get my applications in early and done with, but now I'm waiting, and stressing. Since I did get them in so early, and most are rolling, I think there's a chance I could find out in December, but I feel like it will be in Feb (maybe Jan?) but definitely by March.

I will be coming right out of undergraduate, but I will have 4 years of experience, as I have worked at my college's Special Collections since I was a freshman, and I have another library internship experience. Could you tell me how corporate archives are different? 

The three schools I applied too are the highest ranked for archives-- along with Simmons, but I didn't apply there based on the negative things I've heard.

I can't say for sure, but I would suggest getting a master's in library science/information science with a concentration in archiving instead of a masters in history with a focus on archiving-- it's totally different things, and if I go off of what the archivists at my university have advised me, you want the library background NOT history. If you chose to get a dual degree in history AND library/information, that would be great. But if you're only going one, go library.

I didn't look at NYU as I just chose based on archives speciality, and since that's what you're interested in, I may suggest to check those out! The University of Maryland also has a good archives program, but I didn't apply there as it isn't *as* good, and it's too close to where I live, and one of the archivist (who went there) said they're still a little archaic in their methods.

hey Katie, I've applied to the UT iSchool as well for the MSIS program. It's the only school I applied to, so I'm a little concerned. I'm officially freaking out. It looks like they historically send out acceptances after the first week of March, so we only have a few weeks until we know. How are you feeling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, katokajmuso said:

hey Katie, I've applied to the UT iSchool as well for the MSIS program. It's the only school I applied to, so I'm a little concerned. I'm officially freaking out. It looks like they historically send out acceptances after the first week of March, so we only have a few weeks until we know. How are you feeling? 

Hey Katokajmuso!!! (Kato?)

I am freaking out. I applied reaaally early (end of September), so I've been waiting for four months. I knew it would be awhile, but the waiting is really stressing me out! I really don't think I can wait till March. I really thought I'd be hearing back by now, or at least February! Texas is not my top choice, because it's quite far (I'm on the east coast), but I'm planning on going to whichever school offers me the most financial aid (which I hope is UNC!!!) 

Even if we hear soon, I don't think financial information goes out until later. So I won't really know for sure for awhile... Which makes me hectic.

Are you still in undergrad? If not, how long have you been out? I am graduating this May. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.