38 minutes ago, Katie Herring said:

Hey Katokajmuso!!! (Kato?)

I am freaking out. I applied reaaally early (end of September), so I've been waiting for four months. I knew it would be awhile, but the waiting is really stressing me out! I really don't think I can wait till March. I really thought I'd be hearing back by now, or at least February! Texas is not my top choice, because it's quite far (I'm on the east coast), but I'm planning on going to whichever school offers me the most financial aid (which I hope is UNC!!!) 

Even if we hear soon, I don't think financial information goes out until later. So I won't really know for sure for awhile... Which makes me hectic.

Are you still in undergrad? If not, how long have you been out? I am graduating this May. 

Hey Katie, I actually graduated from undergrad in 2012 and I'm finishing up a masters in public administration right now. I'm just in love with the iSchool's curriculum and want to maybe use it as a career switcher. We'll see! 

On 2/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, katokajmuso said:

Hey Katie, I actually graduated from undergrad in 2012 and I'm finishing up a masters in public administration right now. I'm just in love with the iSchool's curriculum and want to maybe use it as a career switcher. We'll see! 

That sounds like a great idea to me! I'm actually a biology and English double major, but I've worked at my school library since I was a freshman, and I love it. Are you from Texas?

On 2/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, poopyhead said:

It looks like Cornell already did interviews for their Information Science PhD program a couple weeks ago. Has anyone heard back? And do you know if no interview => rejection?

I think that's how it works... but I'm not sure. I guess someone could just have an amazing package and not need an interview?

On 2/11/2017 at 5:31 PM, Herringk said:

That sounds like a great idea to me! I'm actually a biology and English double major, but I've worked at my school library since I was a freshman, and I love it. Are you from Texas?

Yep - I live here in Austin right now actually. Looks like they usually send out admissions notices around the first and second week of March. Looking forward to finding out... I hope! 

Edited by katokajmuso

14 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

There was an acceptance from the UMD Information Systems PhD program posted on the survey. Has anyone else heard back? Does anyone have any info on interviews and timelines?

I just heard back from UNC (on 13/2), but I'm afraid I don't know about UMD! I'm sorry! I would try looking at the results page on here. It could give you an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear back from the UMD iSchool PhD program yet? Here's what I know so far ...

• There's an acceptance posted on the survey, but it doesn't look right. It was posted 2/15, but it says that they were accepted 12/15. The iSchool website says that the deadline for applications was 1/17 and they don't start looking at them until after the deadline. If you posted this result, can you clarify? 
  • I sent an email asking when we should expect to hear back. The reply was super generic saying they'll make decisions by mid March, but that's true of all programs by default unless otherwise stated. 
  • Last year there was only one acceptance posted to the Survey, and it says that they got in on 2/16, which has already passed. Although there is no other information, it's really tempting to say that the only interview posted to the Survey last year was posted by the same person. The interview was on 1/22, which would indicate that those of us who haven't heard back yet are in trouble.

On 3/1/2017 at 12:31 PM, Herringk said:

@katokajmuso I just heard back from the University of Texas-- I got in! Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the University of Michigan. 

@poopyhead I haven't heard/seen anything about UMD, nor the University of Washington. I'm sure things will start be announced rapid fire now! I've been checking the results page very regularly.

Thanks for the info. I wonder who that lone acceptance is from ...

17 hours ago, Herringk said:

@katokajmuso I just heard back from the University of Texas-- I got in! Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the University of Michigan. 

Me too! Very exciting - I'll be attending. It's the only school I applied to. Good luck with the rest of your applications! Let me know if UT will be your home - my work friend will also be accepting admission to UT. 

3 hours ago, Herringk said:

I actually just heard back from Michigan today-- good news!

Now comes the hard part. If anyone has advice about going with your heart or following the money, let me know!

Follow the money.

In my opinion, library folks don't make enough money to justify significant loans. And library schools are largely similar in that the students who gain the most from library school are the students who make the most of library school (i.e., most schools can be pretty good, if you make the best of it).

14 hours ago, pynchonmlis said:

Been following this thread for some time, but just made an account now. This afternoon I was admitted to UCLA!

Congrats! :) 

11 hours ago, Adam G. said:

I just accepted an offer of admission to the MLIS program at UMD iSchool. Very excited; best luck to everyone!

Congrats! Do you know if their PhD program already sent out acceptances?

It looks like someone just posted a rejection from the UMD iSchool PhD program. However, when I checked my application status, it still says "under departmental review." Has anyone else heard back?

19 hours ago, poopyhead said:

It looks like someone just posted a rejection from the UMD iSchool PhD program. However, when I checked my application status, it still says "under departmental review." Has anyone else heard back?

I haven't heard anything-- I'm sorry. I know exactly how you feel. Waiting is the worst part. It'll probably come any day now, though! So don't lose hope!

Hi everyone!This is my first post.

I am an international student and I have applied to four MLIS programs: UW, UCLA, UW-Madison and Umich.

Got accepted to 3: UW,UCLA and UW-Madison. Pending:Michigan

Any advice?

9 hours ago, fantastic356 said:

Hi everyone!This is my first post.

I am an international student and I have applied to four MLIS programs: UW, UCLA, UW-Madison and Umich.

Got accepted to 3: UW,UCLA and UW-Madison. Pending:Michigan

Any advice?

Which one do you want to go to? I was admitted to Texas, UNC, and Michigan (got in 2 March), but I am deciding between UNC and Michigan. My choice is ultimately going to come down to finances, so as of now I'm leaning towards UNC, but I'm waiting to hear back from UMich about scholarships...

What are you planning on focusing on? Is money an issue? I think those are the two most important factors to consider.