New hobbies?

mastermind1886

I'm not sure how many of you are in a similar position, but here it goes anyway. I graduated from college a few years ago, spent some time in full time employment, and am now employed part time to devote more time to applications. Very part time. I work in education, and with schools off for break and whatnot, my time spent doing things of import is... limited.

So, I'm not sure how many of you are left with a wealth of free time that's driving you bonkers, or some free time that's driving you bonkers, but what kinds of hobbies or activities are you undertaking or beginning to keep busy and engaged?

For me:

1) I was accepted to present at a conference in late March, so I have to whittle down a paper into a presentation as well as do some additional research so I don't look like a moron.

2) I started constructing a Revell model of a submarine... I need paint thinner.

3) I bought some photo albums to FINALLY organize my mounds of old photos from years past.

4) I have been reading and watching movies more - currently reading Watergate in American Memory (Schudson) and Diamond Age (Stephenson). And going to be watching the LOTR trilogy.

5) Going to random minor league sporting events (cheap and entertaining!).

6) Learning classic rock songs on my ukulele. Cross Stairway off my list; beginning some new ones soon.

How about you folks? Anyone learning a new language or building a scale model of the Taj Mahal out of pretzel sticks?

I'm still a bit frustrated about my missing LOR, but my hobbies normally include the following:

1) Playing badminton (no...not that backyard stuff)

2) Computer graphics: animation, modeling, crowd simulation, particle simulation, shader development

3) Topcoder (programming competition)

4) Playing video games

5) I'm really into self help stuff now (books, audio, video)

6) Apply for a job (only applying for one job actually and I'm sure they'll understand if I tell them I'm going to grad school)

I took a class in cedar weaving last month. I think I'm addicted. If anyone is familiar with Northwest Coast Native art, it was in the Haida-style. Sort of like these baskets but mine are not at all pretty. It's a very good hobby for someone that wants to really focus on one thing for a long time. It's really let my brain turn off which I totally need.

4) I have been reading and watching movies more - currently reading Watergate in American Memory (Schudson) and Diamond Age (Stephenson). And going to be watching the LOTR trilogy.

<3 for Neal Stephenson; awesome. :D I hope you are enjoying TDA!

As for me, I don't have an overload of free time--I'm working on an M.A.--but in what little time I have my hobbies/what keeps me sane are basically running and, um, Netflix. I think Netflix InstantWatch has done more to kill my social life than grad school has. :P I also do Celtic art. Same type of release that jennyb mentioned re: cedar weaving.

Does child rearing count as a hobby? :)

I've been running a lot as well, and am wearing my running gear right now, in fact, to head out after I've get a little work done. I've done some 5Ks over the last few months and will do my first 10K in March. I've found that it really evens out my mood and makes me feel more productive. Otherwise, my time is pretty well booked. I would like to play music with my husband (keyboard, bass, bagpipes) and oldest son (guitar, drums, trumpet), and they just got some awesome recording equipment, so I may start playing drums again.

Glee... I've only watched the first episode so far, but it's definitely proven a form of escapism that will come in the handy over the next couple of months. (I've still got 13 episodes to catch up on before the show comes back in April.)

Chick-lit... since with my certainty of getting into ANY graduate English program rapidly diminishing, I'd rather not torture myself by reading anything that would count as "real" literature and thus reminding myself of all the opportunities to study such books that I won't, in fact, have.

I'm trying to fix my house up so I can sell it if I get into school. This is less of a hobby than a horrible black cloud of annoyance hanging over my head. I guess my other hobby would be drinking margaritas, making plans to drink margaritas, and complaining about drinking too many margaritas. (Kidding... sort of.) Also trying to find another second (and possibly) third short-term job to finance both of those other activities.

I wish I had free time. I'm in a financial bind and have to work full time so when I'm not applying to better paying jobs I've developed a new hobby: cleaning/organizing EVERYTHING.

I've always been a neat freak but now I color code, professionally label and alphabetize everything. I also try to get rid of stuff that make me feel like I'm still in undergrad (i.e. the bobblehead of the University President I won at a basketball game in 2002).

I organized my closet, under the stairs--EVERYWHERE. I wipe down everything with Clorox wipes...scary I know. Cleaning/organizing make me feel like I've got control over something, which is a nice feeling to have especially when deep down I know I don't have control over those darn grad apps.

Solving the daily New York Times crossword puzzle with a friend over Skype.

working as a full-time high school Spanish teacher while finishing the MA full time.

Also, reading for comps in April.

Also, training for triathlons.

Also, single, which explains why i can fit it all in a day. Boyfriends are a full-time job.

I just picked up a new hobby I thought I'd share: Selling stuff I don't need on Craigslist. So far, I've posted some computer equipment and some cell phone accessories. Next: Collectibles my kids received as gifts and never liked. Now I just need to make sure I don't BUY anything, and we'll come out ahead.

I gave in and purchased a guitar after playing (at least okay) ten or more years ago. This is going to take time.

And planning plan b, should the app thing fail, purchase of veblen goods. ;)

what kinda guitar? I have ten Hamers; I used to be pretty serious about rock, and studied classical piano and jazz improvisation at the New England Conservatory. Haven't played a gig in about four years; teaching has completely sucked up all my time.

aren't you in a bit of a catch-22? Grad school = better job = Veblen goods galore :)

I tune cars, specifically the Nissan Skyline GT-R. I've squeezed over 700 horsepower out of the thing. I studied engine building and programming ECUs on my own; it's a very deep and complex field, this whole thing about internal combustion engines. Especially when you add a pair of turbos to make a 2.8 liter engine act like a 9 liter engine! I'm also an avid sportbike rider, and around the time decisions come out, my preordered BMW S1000RR will arrive; the most powerful production sportbike on the market. So that'll either be a congratulatory self-gift, or a prepared consolation prize to commiserate on if I get rejected!

I used to rock climb, but gave that up after watching someone fall over 3500 feet off of El Capitan in Yosemite Valley; I was on a somewhat easier part of the Southeast Face when I saw the person take the ultimate crater, but I suddenly lost the desire to be pasted tenuously to a huge cliff. Haven't climbed since.

Anyways, that's two out of three "real" sports, according to Hemmingway. I don't plan on bullfighting, so I think that pretty much caps it off.

what kinda guitar? I have ten Hamers; I used to be pretty serious about rock, and studied classical piano and jazz improvisation at the New England Conservatory. Haven't played a gig in about four years; teaching has completely sucked up all my time.

aren't you in a bit of a catch-22? Grad school = better job = Veblen goods galore :)

Nice set (guitars and skill); a red Hamer flying v is on the list. Something fast is part of plan b.

I bought the guitars I wanted when I was younger: 89 RG550 and a minty 91 UV7BK (so very worth it). I am having a blast learning how to play again. Sadly, I am one of those “bad guys” you read about in the news, so my expected grad/post-grad income will be far, far lower than now.

Well, I graduated from college 2 years ago, and has been working full-time since. After I started working, it's just a matter of juggling between work, household chores and getting-8-hours-of-sleep.

Makeup and beauty related stuff has been my hobby for the past 2 years (and I do some occasional makeup jobs for weddings and what not). But recently, I've picked up a new hobby -- going to the gym. I used to go when I was in college, but stopped since I started working. And now, I just kind of picked it back up. Helps me relax. And, I love to plan holidays. LOL. Even if it means not actually going on one, I just like doing the whole planning thing. Weird, I know. :P