Is NYU Steinhart's Speech Therapy Program considerably easier to get into than other grad programs?

Lor780

Question

I am not a very good student over all, GRE scores were in the mid 140's and got a 4 in writing. My cumulative GPA is 3.48 but in my speech courses it's only a 3.0. I am desperately trying to find Speech Pathology masters programs that are not ridiculous to get into. I'm asking about NYU because I spoke to an advisor there who was VERY optimistic about my getting in. Compared to everyone else I've spoken to, this was a major relief and is even making me consider paying the stunning $76,000 for the degree!!

Anyways, this advisor told me that NYU does not have a cap on how many students they accept into the online program, and do not even list their GPA and GRE requirements online because they want to encourage all students to apply even if they do not think they have very good scores. I would like to hear from someone who has gotten into the program or knows any information about it whether or not this is true. I am strongly considering the online option, but would also like to know whether the in person MS program is more difficult/competitive? 

2 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Lor780 said:

I am not a very good student over all, GRE scores were in the mid 140's and got a 4 in writing. My cumulative GPA is 3.48 but in my speech courses it's only a 3.0. I am desperately trying to find Speech Pathology masters programs that are not ridiculous to get into. I'm asking about NYU because I spoke to an advisor there who was VERY optimistic about my getting in. Compared to everyone else I've spoken to, this was a major relief and is even making me consider paying the stunning $76,000 for the degree!!

Anyways, this advisor told me that NYU does not have a cap on how many students they accept into the online program, and do not even list their GPA and GRE requirements online because they want to encourage all students to apply even if they do not think they have very good scores. I would like to hear from someone who has gotten into the program or knows any information about it whether or not this is true. I am strongly considering the online option, but would also like to know whether the in person MS program is more difficult/competitive? 

I was going to apply to this program, but after looking at the tuition costs and being harassed by a ton of phone calls, I decided not to. I completed the SOP and the two required essays and then found out it's a 'live' program which doesn't work for me. I looked into it and filled out an online form to receive more information by email. I did receive one email, but I have also received a ton of phone calls. Last week alone, they called me over five times. I was not interested in speaking with a recruiter, I only had a few questions regarding the program.

There is another person here that created a NYU - SLP program thread that said she got accepted with having decent GRE scores and GPA.

You may want to consider applying and see what happens. Since it's New York and expensive, I figured it would be pretty competitive, but it doesn't seem that way. I know it's a newer program and they are still working some things out with it, but it never hurts I guess.

I would apply and see what happens. I personally applied to ENMU SLP program online (great curriculum and no application fee) and TSU SLP program online. They look like good programs and don't seem too competitive. You may want to consider those two as well.

Keep in touch and we can discuss other programs too if you want. :o)

I applied with the same GRE scores and a cum gpa of 3.24 (I majored in speech for undergrad) and I got in. I am married with 2 kids so I HAVE to do an online program so that I can still support my family. I am willing to pay this in tuition because this program simply works best for me. I would go ahead and apply. ;)