I know acceptance is going to depend on a lot of other factors, but just looking at the GRE, what do you consider a good, sound score? What scores did you use/plan to use?

I got a 158V and 158Q.  After taking the test, I was very happy.  Since then though, I've looked on different blogs and people say they got 162 and aren't happy.  I'm in the Midwest, but am planning on applying to competitive schools in the region, specifically The University of Kansas and The University of Nebraska-Lincoln.  I'd rather not have to spend time focusing on the GRE for another month.  Thanks for any thoughts!

Edited by speechykourt

Those look solid to me. Somewhere in 150s at least makes you more competitive generally. My first time I had 155s both and second time math stayed the same and verbal went up. It may have helped me get in my second time applying but I think it had more to do with the schools I chose to apply to. 

Keep in mind, there's a third part to the GRE score too- the analytical writing.  That could make a big difference in how your score is calculated by the admissions committees and how you are perceived.  For example, an applicant with a 165 Verbal but a 3.5 AW score may not look too great on an application because there is such a large discrepancy between the two scores.  On the flip side, an applicant with scores in the low 150s but a 5 on the AW could become a more attractive candidate.

When I applied to grad school, I had a pretty average Verbal + Quant score, both were in the 150s.  My score was in the "competitive range", but I didn't feel like I stood out.  At the time, I asked a professor if I should retake the GRE to raise my V and Q scores.  He hemmed and hawed, until I told him my AW score.  His tune immediately changed to, "No! Don't retake it!  You are more than fine with that AW score.  It offsets the other stuff.  I wouldn't touch the GRE again because you might mess up what you already have."  Make sure you are considering your AW score as it may weigh more than we think.

Also remember, the GRE is just one part of the application.  The GRE doesn't tell the committee your skills as a clinician.  It won't tell them how you plan or approach therapy.  It won't tell them your experiences in and outside of the field.  It won't tell them your research interests.  It won't tell them why you are choosing to apply to those specific programs.

It's easy to focus on all the details and stress yourself out.  I've been there.  As someone who got into grad school, completed my Master's program, went through my CFY, and now has my Cs... think big picture.  You have the whole application to show yourself off and make them say, "I want this person at our school in our program!"  Your GRE score alone isn't enough to do that.

What's your GPA? What relevant work experience/extracurriculars/etc. do you have? How compelling a "story" do you have for why you want to become a SLP?

I'd only prepped for the verbal portion when I took the GRE last year because I felt it was more important to do well in my 2nd bachelor's courses than to raise my quant score. I'd gotten a 720 (max was 800) on the math portion when I took the GRE back in the late '90's so I know I could do better with prepping. But I decided against retaking the GRE because I don't think it would improve my chances enough to be worth spending less time on schoolwork, volunteering, etc.

I have been told to aim for over a 310. I have a 312: 154 Q 158 V. Also, I have a 5.5 AW. I am happy with this score because when I first started taking practice tests six months ago my math scores were in the low 140's range. I was wanting to achieve at least a 160 in verbal, but I am very happy with my writing score and am not sure that I could make such a score again. Writing is my strong point, however, so hopefully this good AW score and a strong personal statement will make up for my 3.6. I am in a less competitive part of the country, however.