Medievalists?

I'm applying for English with a focus on Medieval Lit, and I've also applied for several Medieval Studies PhDs. I was just wondering how many of us are out there, what others are interested in, and also if this field is being 'done to death' (that of course is my fear, that they'll look at my application, roll their eyes, and chuck it in the bin!).

Anyhow, I'm interested in Middle English and French Lit primarily, with a focus on romance and the interplay between French and English material and the Norman presence and assimilation into England. I especially love Arthurian romance!

I'm not sure an entire field can be done to death, though a topic certainly can. I'm an Early Modernist but I really enjoy Medieval Lit. as well. I wrote a recent term paper on Julian of Norwich and Christ as a mother figure. The period is so great because there are still texts that are being rediscovered; its like a giant treasure trove!

I'm applying to Classics programs, but one of my interests is medieval reception. I double majored in Classics and Medieval Studies, so I guess I got into it that way. I'd love to know French (and I'll have to learn it sooner rather than later if I get in somewhere) and take a critical look at something like the Roman d'Eneas from a Classical perspective. I think someone focused on medieval lit. really needs to be exceptionally well-grounded in everything Greek and Latin, because the people who wrote medieval lit. were. This is especially true of anyone writing a commentary on a medieval work: so often, allusive references and even things that would probably be considered key points to a Classicist are overlooked.

Anyway, I don't want to clutter up your thread with my diatribe! I think that there are a lot of people working on the periphery of medieval lit. because of its inherently interdisciplinary nature and the scarcity of "Medievalist" positions. I think what really deterred me from working in the medieval period is the extensive work that's essentially required in religion/theology. Of course issues of Christianity are at the core of many of the works, it just isn't something that interests me at the end of the day.

I've always liked Arthurian romance as well. Have you read anything by Geoffrey of Monmouth? I did a senior capstone project on an aspect of his big work. I struggle to find people who have even heard of him, much less read and enjoyed any of his stuff.

Edited by spozik

Oh, sweet. Medievalists!

My field is actually religious history, not lit, and I hope you don't mind that I'm thread-crashing, but given that it's the MA religion is all over a lot of the literature. I do high/late medieval continental.

the extensive work that's essentially required in religion/theology. Of course issues of Christianity are at the core of many of the works, it just isn't something that interests me at the end of the day.

Let me be clear, I do NOT study Thomas Aquinas. :P I am all about depictions of hell (lit and art) and the evolution of the Holy Grail legend compared to lay piety and subversive writing and some pretty out-there stuff. I fully understand. Although if your medieval interest is in medieval reception of classical lit, wouldn't you have to get into that anyway?

Anyhow, I'm interested in Middle English and French Lit primarily, with a focus on romance and the interplay between French and English material and the Norman presence and assimilation into England. I especially love Arthurian romance!

There's quite a bit of scholarship on Arthurian works. On the other hand, France does not seem to be the most popular country to study, except with respect to heresy and Paris. At least, this is true in medieval religion studies and in early modern French lit studies, so I'm kind of assuming an intersection here.

Edited by Sparky

Let me be clear, I do NOT study Thomas Aquinas. :P I am all about depictions of hell (lit and art) and the evolution of the Holy Grail legend compared to lay piety and subversive writing and some pretty out-there stuff. I fully understand. Although if your medieval interest is in medieval reception of classical lit, wouldn't you have to get into that anyway?

My medieval interests at this point are more of a hobby than anything. Like I said, I did my degree doubling in medieval studies and Classics, but I'm applying to Classics programs and not medieval ones for a reason. :) My "real" interest is the same thing, only back about 1200 years: the reception of Hellenistic poetry in 1st century BC/AD Rome.

You are correct that if I wanted to look seriously at the kind of thing that I referenced in my first post, I'd have to get into all of it. As it is, I just think that it's supercool that the literary dialog spans millennia, not just centuries. :)

Yay, it's great to see other Medievalists! Good luck to us all...

I've always liked Arthurian romance as well. Have you read anything by Geoffrey of Monmouth? I did a senior capstone project on an aspect of his big work. I struggle to find people who have even heard of him, much less read and enjoyed any of his stuff.

I love Geoffrey of Monmouth! Arthurian Lit in the Medieval period would not exist without his 'History of the Kings of Britain', and it's great fun to read in its own right. I haven't read his 'Merlin' though.

And to Sparky- France is actually quite popular for studying Arthurian romance, as the first Arthurian romances (or at least the first well-known, good ones) were written in French by Chretien de Troyes, and there's loads of scholarship about him. They're amazing, and well worth a read!

the first Arthurian romances (or at least the first well-known, good ones) were written in French by Chretien de Troyes, and there's loads of scholarship about him. They're amazing, and well worth a read!

They totally are! I remember being so puzzled by Perceval when I read it the first time. I mean, what kind of would-be-knight/hero steals, cheats and violently rapes a young girl on his first day adventuring??? ..Ah, but that was before he had been initiated (quoth my prof, with a compassionate sigh) lol

Another very popular sub-field in French medieval studies right now is women's writings, especially Marie de France and Christine de Pizan.

And to Sparky- France is actually quite popular for studying Arthurian romance, as the first Arthurian romances (or at least the first well-known, good ones) were written in French by Chretien de Troyes, and there's loads of scholarship about him. They're amazing, and well worth a read!

Oh absolutely. I have great love for Perceval especially (...predictably). And influential to the extent that "Le morte d'Arthur" is actually in...English. (It was, right? That is one of my favorite Irrelevant Facts of all time, and I will be sad if it is not true). I meant overall, not any specific areas; sorry for the clarity fail.

My mentor from undergrad focuses on Christine de Pizan. :)

Edited by Sparky

Oh absolutely. I have great love for Perceval especially (...predictably). And influential to the extent that "Le morte d'Arthur" is actually in...English. (It was, right? That is one of my favorite Irrelevant Facts of all time, and I will be sad if it is not true). I meant overall, not any specific areas; sorry for the clarity fail.

My mentor from undergrad focuses on Christine de Pizan. :)

Sorry Sparky, didn't mean to lecture! Naturally other medievalists would know about Chretien, I'm just used to explaining his existence to my parents etc. I like Perceval, but only the Gawain adventures. I did my dissertation on Gawain, and so have a real soft spot for him! Perceval always acts a little too strangely for my tastes- like you melusine I didn't like the whole beginning bit where he steals food and steals a kiss and a ring from that poor girl (I didn't think that he raped her! Perhaps I didn't read into it enough...or indulged in a little wishful thinking).

And yes, 'Le Morte d'Arthur' is in English, so you may keep your random fact! Malory is hilarious, I especially love it when Arthur says that he doesn't mind the loss of Guinevere as much as he minds the loss of Lancelot and his knights of the Round Table. What a cold fish, no wonder Guinevere preferred Lancelot!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also interested in Medieval lit -- primarily how medieval tropes are reiterated and reconstructed in modern mass media. Because my research cuts across time periods, it's been a bit difficult to find appropriate PhD programs, but I'm excited about the possibilities. For example, one of my interests is the evolution of Beowulf from the original poem to Heaney's translation, Gareth Hind's acclaimed graphic novel, the recent Zemekis movie, and the upcoming computer game.

Oh boy, am I ever a medievalist.

I took one full semester of Chaucer in college, and another of Medieval lit (including the Arthurian cycles, Geoffrey of Monmouth, Morte d'Artur, etc.), and my honors thesis was based on Welsh medieval legends in modern children's lit. I also took a fabulous class called "12th century writers and lovers" that concentrated on the writings of Eloise and Ableard, and Hildegard, as well as Bernard of Cluny. And boy, was my professor tough. However, my overall concentration was Medieval and Renaissance.

I'm waiting for answers from 4 grad schools for fall 2010 (although I have very little expectations of getting in this time around, my first GRE general scores were pretty abysmal, compared to my second round - which was yesterday, a bit too late for this round of applications, so I'm gearing up for a second round next year), and right now I'm teetering between Medieval and Renaissance, or delving into Early Modern (I have a thing for the Restoration period, and of course, for the 18th century satirists). I'm also still trying to figure out how to incorporate my favorite periods into other stuff that I love - like children's lit and sci-fi / fantasy. So Nighthob - I'm with you on crossing periods.

Since I figure I have some time to solidify my ideas for the field of study, I've decided to take advantage of the intense review I have to do for the Subject GRE (after all, I haven't been studying English lit for over 8 years...), and remember what I love, where my interests lie, and what moves me passionately.

If I do decide to go for the Medieval lit - I'm considering programs that enable a double PhD with Medieval Studies. On the other hand, I'm also hoping to get into Cornell's Creative Writing MFA / English Lit PhD program.

Oh my, I can't wait to go to grad school.... :)

Branwen,

1. Do you mean Bernard of Clairvaux?

2. If you end up taking a year off, and you haven't done this yet...LEARN LATIN.

3. Pick medieval, darn it!!! :D

1. Yes I do. Just finished a book on medieval history and got muddled, since there is also a Bernard of Cluny (testy bastard).

2. I've already had 8 years off (I graduated in 2001). And I'm planning on taking some Latin online (I found some interesting free classes), to prep for 3 very intensive summers of languages (Latin, French, and Italian).

3. Ahh, we'll see. I'll probably start focusing and narrowing the storm in my brain over the next few months. I've also thought of concentrating specifically on Medieval Welsh stuff (which means learning Welsh, too hahhahaha).

This might be a silly question, but...what is the difference between Renaissance and early modern? And would premodern encompass early modern? Sorry if this is hugely ignorant. I'm a modernist and am so confused by all the pre 19th century categorizations. (especially since I often hear Renaissance being used interchangeably with early modern and premodern. Thanks for enlightening me! :)

This might be a silly question, but...what is the difference between Renaissance and early modern? And would premodern encompass early modern? Sorry if this is hugely ignorant. I'm a modernist and am so confused by all the pre 19th century categorizations. (especially since I often hear Renaissance being used interchangeably with early modern and premodern. Thanks for enlightening me! :)

Renaissance is definitely not Early Modern in the lit genres. Early Modern is generally post 1660 (post Restoration), While Renaissance is pretty much from 1450 up to Cromwell's revolution (historical period wise), and encompasses Shakespeare, Spencer, Marlowe, Johnson and others of the period. Early Modern is much more affected by an influx of "fashionable French" - especially in Drama (Comedy of Manners began around this time). Early Modern lasts until the very early 18th Century, and includes many a heroic couplet (Dryden, Pope, etc.) Milton is also considered Early Modern.

I'm not sure what you mean by "premodern" - I've actually never come across the term. Maybe it's a different word for Medieval and Renaissance?

Medievalist here!

In undergrad I've been focusing on Chaucer (my thesis looks at astrology in The Canterbury Tales) but I want to do something more interdisciplinary in grad school. In my SOPs I mentioned dream visions, since I like the intersection of literature, philosophy, and history, and the cross-language analysis that could happen. I'm also interested in the blending of science, philosophy, theology, and mysticism during the time, but I don't know much about that at this point, so it's a vague interest of mine.

At this point I'm just hoping to be accepted somewhere, and then I'll work to concentrate my interests based on where I'm accepted.

I'm a medievalist too, but my interests are in the early part of the period, whereas it looks like most of the folks here skew to the later part. Old English and Anglo-Latin stuff, that's my niche, though I do enjoy Middle English literature, particularly alliterative revival works and some of the Christian "mystical" material. I don't get the sense that there are many of us Anglo-Saxonists floating around out there, but I kinda doubt that makes my chances of admission any better. There probably aren't a whole lot of spots open for Anglo-Saxonists either, so it all balances out. I think the long and short of it is that getting into any program is hyper-uber-ultra-competitive no matter what your proposed specialty is. I've been through this before and talked to lots of people about it, and I'm believing more and more that it's all a great big gamble, in which we pay lots of money and devote lots of time to the process and can only hope the stars align and we get admitted and funded (much better odds than the Powerball Lottery, but the same helpless feeling). Unless of course you've got an airtight application, which I most assuredly do not. It's worth a shot though! Good luck to all of you, and here's hoping there's a spot somewhere for all us medievalists out there...

Sparky, great advice about learning Latin. I never had the opportunity to learn Latin while I was an undergrad, and my graduate degree was in English Education, so I didn't need it. I'm teaching myself Latin using Wheelock currently because I couldn't find a course at any of the local colleges that fit into my work schedule.

Shaky, I can't call myself an Anglo-Saxonist, but I am deeply interested in the modern resurgence of interest in Beowulf and how it has recently been used in mass media. If that interests you at all and you want to connect, shoot me a line.

In reading this discussion thread, I have a lot of similar interests as you guys - Arthuriana, the Mabinogi, the Lebor Gabala. Ultimately, however, I'm not sure that I'm a medievalist so much as a mythologist (but not in a cheesy Dan Brown kind of way) with a focus on medieval mythological tropes. I have no idea what to expect as far as my applications are concerned. My background is vast and varied, and I think I'd be a great catch, but who knows? It IS all a gamble. In the meantime, like Branwen, I'm trying to continue to make myself a better candidate in case I don't make the cut this year.

I suppose the good news is that I've gotten application confirmations and in-review notices for most of the schools I've applied to. I haven't received any interview offers or acceptances yet. Then again, I haven't been axed from any programs yet either.

Sparky, great advice about learning Latin. I never had the opportunity to learn Latin while I was an undergrad, and my graduate degree was in English Education, so I didn't need it. I'm teaching myself Latin using Wheelock currently because I couldn't find a course at any of the local colleges that fit into my work schedule.

I'm also trying to work on my Latin and don't have a decent local course available (a local language institute offers one, but seeing as it promises me it will teach me to 'speak like a native' I don't think it's very good...). So I've decided to study with the aim of taking the SAT Latin exam (which is intended for high schoolers with four years of Latin). I thought you might consider it as well- it's good to have something to aim for, and it would also mean you would end up with proof of your skills!

I'm not an English or Literature major, but I saw the word "Medievalist" and clicked. I'm also interested in the earlier part of the period (from the historian's perspective, although for this period that tends to involve reading the more "literary" works as well as the dry bones stuff), and very frustrated at how little attention it seems to get in history and medieval studies departments! I had so few options for places to apply to. Anyways, good to see a nice number of medievalists, plus the occasional Anglo-Saxon fan. I am hoping, probably in vain, that having an unusual focus/period of interest will help me in the admissions process, but that thinking hasn't given me any results yet.

Renaissance is definitely not Early Modern in the lit genres. Early Modern is generally post 1660 (post Restoration), While Renaissance is pretty much from 1450 up to Cromwell's revolution (historical period wise), and encompasses Shakespeare, Spencer, Marlowe, Johnson and others of the period. Early Modern is much more affected by an influx of "fashionable French" - especially in Drama (Comedy of Manners began around this time). Early Modern lasts until the very early 18th Century, and includes many a heroic couplet (Dryden, Pope, etc.) Milton is also considered Early Modern.

I'm not sure what you mean by "premodern" - I've actually never come across the term. Maybe it's a different word for Medieval and Renaissance?

I'm Renaissance and have often seen Early Modern/Renaissance used interchangably. Renaissance is more specific, but I would argue that it's definitely considered E.M.

I'm also trying to work on my Latin and don't have a decent local course available (a local language institute offers one, but seeing as it promises me it will teach me to 'speak like a native' I don't think it's very good...). So I've decided to study with the aim of taking the SAT Latin exam (which is intended for high schoolers with four years of Latin). I thought you might consider it as well- it's good to have something to aim for, and it would also mean you would end up with proof of your skills!

That's actually a good idea - I was wondering how to prove the new Latin skills since they won't be on any transcript anywhere. I also scoped out a few books in Amazon, for self study, and found a few basic classes, and I also found one website promoting itself as teaching "Latin of the Vulgate Bible" which might be appropriate for Medieval Latin. However, all the places I've applied to this year have intensive summer Latin, and if not this year, then the ones I'll chose for next year will have the same. I just want to enter the program with a basic grasp of the language (I actually recognize a lot of stuff from studying Latin roots in English, and from my basic French).

Anyhow, the more I read up on stuff, the more it seems that I will remain a happy Medievalist. After all, how many Israelis are out there who love Latin and Middle English, as well as having an ardent desire to read The Red Book of Hergest and The White Book of Rhydderch in Welsh? As much as I love Shakespeare and the Renaissance, I think I love Medieval more. Especially since so much of the folklore that I love either originated or was first written down then... it's also my best way to push for a semester abroad in Wales :lol:

I'm Renaissance and have often seen Early Modern/Renaissance used interchangably. Renaissance is more specific, but I would argue that it's definitely considered E.M.

Heh. Well, serves me right for quoting my profs :lol: One of my Renaissance profs hated being "lumped with Early Modern" as she said.

So everyone knows the importance of Latin for Medievalists, but what other languages do you think grad schools look for?

As many as possible is, of course, the best...but which do you think they look for specifically, and how proficient do you think they'd want you to be while applying? Do you think they take into consideration that you could become proficient in a language during the summer before matriculation, or do they just assume that wouldn't happen?