medical program for SLP?

It isn't "better" per se, it's just more tailored to individuals who are already certain they want to go the medical route.  That said, every program has to teach you enough to to be successful in both school and medical settings.  

You can get an idea by comparing the curriculum from the UW Med SLP program with our Core program.  The first year is identical.  The curriculum and externship opportunities in the *second* year are what seem to really differentiate the two.

19 hours ago, hopingtogetinsomewhere said:

-does anyone have any suggestions on why a medically based SLP program is better than an education based?

-what is so different?

thanks!

I'm interested in SLP programs and have already applied to a few. Which universities or programs have you found that are medically based? I didn't know there was a medical program at all. I know you can work in a medical setting (hospital or rehab) with a Masters in Speech Pathology, but didn't know about a medically based SLP program. Are these medical-related courses?

New York Medical College

MGH

Uni of Akron

Case Western 

U of Pittsburgh 

Rush

Vanderbilt

U of Illinois 

(Are all schools that I've seen floating around as more "medically based" on these forums). 

My anatomy professor, who also works as an SLP in a city hospital, recommended students who want to work in the hospital setting (particularly a high ranking hospital) should definitely try to get the edge in a Masters program that provides excellent clinical and academic opportunities geared toward the medical setting. Many medical CF positions are easier to obtain if you come in with that extra training. She went to New York Medical College. The above is merely one opinion, not fact, haha. 

My daughter is graduating from CSU Fresno in couple months and she is having internship at hospital right now in her last semester. I think most of the schools offer in school clinics, elementary school program and then hospital/nursing homes internship. That way you know what do you like to do and what kind of job are you interested in. My daughter is interested in Medical field as well but it will be hard to find in hospital right after she graduate so most students do jobs in school and after year or 2 they start applying to medical. That's what I heard from her.

Hope this helps!