Jump to content

Acting MFAs 2017


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

 HI! 

I'm applying for Acting MFAs and MAs this spring! I'm just starting getting things together. I'm rather late in the game but very hopeful!

I'm looking for interdisciplinary acting programs.. Programs with directing and writing courses as well, or ensemble programs.

Looking so far at: Brown Trinity, UCLA (MFA Acting and MA Theatre),  Goddard College (interdisciplinary Arts), UC Davis (Dramatic Art), SITI, University of the Arts (MFA Devised Performance), Royal Central School of Speech and Drama (UK, MA/MFA Advanced Theatre Practice), RADA (UK, MA Theatre Lab), Rose Bruford (UK), (maybe) Julliard as they have a really great "citizen artist" focus, .... others maybe.

I'm probably going to apply next spring at this rate. In the interim, will to apply to summer programs (BADA, SITI, A.C.T., Shakespeare & Company, NTI? Moscow Art Theatre?)

Would love to hear from others!

KATHWANTSANMFA!

Link to post
Share on other sites

hey @kathwantsanmfa! I'm over on the MFA Directing thread and thought I'd give some insight. Having done an MA in Acting at a drama school in the UK that worked with the RSC and The National, just think about the future. Think about where you see yourself (besides hollywood, broadway or the RSC)....Where do you see yourself after the program? MA degrees are not terminal, thus you cannot teach. Teaching is how most performers survive between gigs (except soul detroying restaurant jobs), so I would look more heavily into the MFA programs. Also, I was the last graduating class that could apply for a post-study work visa. So you will not be able to stay in England after graduation unless you get married. No theatre will be able to work sponsor you, not even The National. Just some things to think about! Good luck!  

Edited by Boseph16
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm Marc, this is my first year ever applying to any MFA programs. I applied for Wayne State MFA-acting, Florida State/Asolo Rep- MFA-acting, and Case Western/CPH MFA-acting. I just wanted to know if there were any people who also went for theses programs, to ask whether they'd heard anything back from them. And if not, does anyone know when you typically hear from a program? Provided you hear anything at all unless selected. If you can, let me know, I'd be much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2017 at 1:13 PM, Marc J said:

Hi,

I'm Marc, this is my first year ever applying to any MFA programs. I applied for Wayne State MFA-acting, Florida State/Asolo Rep- MFA-acting, and Case Western/CPH MFA-acting. I just wanted to know if there were any people who also went for theses programs, to ask whether they'd heard anything back from them. And if not, does anyone know when you typically hear from a program? Provided you hear anything at all unless selected. If you can, let me know, I'd be much appreciated.

 

Hey Marc. I shot you a message with what I know!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheKingLives said:

hey everyone, it seems that first round offers have gone out for Brown/Trinity Rep Acting MFA. sorely disappointed, but hoping for a waitlist offer.

Did you audition for the program? What was it that drew you to it? Also, as someone who was going into acting, how did/do you feel about having to take classes across disciplines (directing, playwrighting, etc).

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HopingForMFA said:

Did you audition for the program? What was it that drew you to it? Also, as someone who was going into acting, how did/do you feel about having to take classes across disciplines (directing, playwrighting, etc).

I did! I auditioned in New York. The greatest draws for me were the program's relationship with Trinity Rep and the opportunity to take directing and playwriting as an actor. I had heard fantastic things about Brown from my professor, who's an alum of the program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else hear anything from brown? I've had radio silence - no rejection, not wait list, nothing - and my status online hasn't been changed. 

 

Also, anyone been accepted to Cleveland/CWRU? I reached out to them last week because I had an offer and they said they'd be making decisions soon and to hang tight but I haven't heard anything at all since then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, winkydobby129 said:

Also, anyone been accepted to Cleveland/CWRU? I reached out to them last week because I had an offer and they said they'd be making decisions soon and to hang tight but I haven't heard anything at all since then. 

 

I know rejections went out last week because I got one! ;) So if you haven't heard anything, unless they're sending rejections in waves, then I'd speculate that's a good thing!

Congrats on your offer! Where were you accepted, if I can ask?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I got into the MA acting program at central. Excited, but not sure if I want a program that lasts only a year. 

also, this is my second time through this process and I can affirm for anyway who's first time this is that this process SUUUUUCKS but the second time was easier. Love to all! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 1:38 PM, winkydobby129 said:

Anyone else hear anything from brown? I've had radio silence - no rejection, not wait list, nothing - and my status online hasn't been changed. 

 

Also, anyone been accepted to Cleveland/CWRU? I reached out to them last week because I had an offer and they said they'd be making decisions soon and to hang tight but I haven't heard anything at all since then. 

In terms of the Brown Acting program, the email that we got after auditions were finished implied that we wouldn't be hearing unless we were either admitted or added to the waitlist. Here's a quote from the email:

Acting candidates who are admitted on our Primary Acceptance List will receive a phone call by March 2. 

Acting candidates added to the Wait List will be contacted by the second week of March. 
 
If you have not heard from us by March 15, you should feel free to consider other options available to you. 
 
The good news is, it's not March 15th yet! So there's still time to be contacted within the next few days.
Edited by runfree113
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 7:36 PM, runfree113 said:

In case anyone was wondering, admissions decisions for the DePaul MFA Acting program have been sent out via email.

Got my waitlist offer last week from Depaul.

Anyone else?

Anyone have experience with this in the past, can enlighten on timeframe, when you were either eventually accepted or denied?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, waitingformfa said:

 

Hi friends, I am STILL waiting to hear from Case Western and USD. I know Case has sent out some acceptances and some rejections, but I didn't get either. I haven't heard of anyone being accepted or rejected from San Diego. Any insights?? Thank

 

Hello! I auditioned for Case Western MFA Acting Program this year and just wondered if you (or anyone) has any updates or further insights now about the process or program?

Thanks so much!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 1:38 PM, winkydobby129 said:

Anyone else hear anything from brown? I've had radio silence - no rejection, not wait list, nothing - and my status online hasn't been changed. 

 

Also, anyone been accepted to Cleveland/CWRU? I reached out to them last week because I had an offer and they said they'd be making decisions soon and to hang tight but I haven't heard anything at all since then. 

Hello! Waiting on CWRU/CPH this year! Any update on how this went for you? Thanks for any and all info! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.