Leaving PhD After First Semester

shm2016

Hello, I'm hoping to get some advice about leaving my PhD after the first semester.

A bit of background, I'm currently doing my PhD in public policy at a well ranked university where I have full funding via RA/TA work for 4+ years. This has been something I've said I wanted to do for years. After I completed my MA, I spent 5 years working in the field with low-income individuals to get first-hand experience about the system they need to navigate. My plan was to use that experience to shape my PhD studies in policy to help make that system better. Well, now that I'm here, I've been confronted with the fact that along the way I changed through my work with clients. I have been miserable since the program began, I don't actually want to be in academia, and doing high level research that is disconnected from the individuals whose lives it impacts makes me sad. I have no passion for my classes, excluding the social work elective I’m taking, no excitement for my RA work which should have been exactly what I wanted. It is doing research that is going to be used by a department of human services, but it all feels so completely impersonal to me.

I have no desire to stick it out and see if I can make the program work for my goals. I am still interested in doing program evaluation and legislative advocacy to improve the lives of the poor, but do not feel the PhD is needed for me to do those tasks. I realize I need a client centered, bottom up approach as opposed to the top down approach the PhD leads to. I am hoping to apply instead for an MSW program with an administrative/policy concentration, as I believe this will help me further on my career path as opposed to the pure research focus of the PhD.

I have not yet talked this over with my advisor, he is pretty hands off and any time I’ve mentioned how unsettled I’ve felt it’s been chalked up to first year transition. I’m sure that is part of my stress, but when I did my MA I moved to a new country and had to learn a new system and felt none of the constant dread I currently have at the thought of continuing to pursue my Phd. I plan on talking to the head of the department (who teaches one of my classes) in a few weeks once we are a bit closer to the end of the semester. Does anyone have any advice about how to tell the department you wish to leave to pursue a different degree? I know that I can walk away, but have no clue what impact that would have for wanting to pursue further schooling in a different field. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you should indeed leave your program. My advice would be to have a meeting with your advisor and/or DGS/chair and say a version of what you said here, concentrating on the personal aspects of "I have come to realize I want to work with people, not conduct research, and therefore I've concluded that the PhD is not the right choice for me anymore." You might mention that you've decided that a MSW is a better fit for you, and you might also describe your future career goals and how this new path would be better suited to help you get there than the PhD. I'd see how the conversation goes and choose how many details to give based on that. Your advisor and other professors might be surprised or sorry to see you leave, but hopefully they should understand. Keep in mind that while this has been on your mind for a while, it may come as a shock to them. So give them time and understand if they don't react as well as you'd like initially; but I don't think there is anything you can do other than tell your truth. Remember to thank them for everything they've done for you, their support and the time they've invested in your education so far. It'd be good if you could leave on good terms, with everyone rooting for you to be successful in your new chosen path.  

If I were in your shoes, I'd do some informational interviews and CV/resume-stalking before quitting the program. Here's why. You said, "I am still interested in doing program evaluation and legislative advocacy to improve the lives of the poor, but do not feel the PhD is needed for me to do those tasks." I would make sure you really don't and won't need the PhD to do the work you want to do before dropping out of your current PhD program. Talking to those doing this kind of work about the skills and degrees needed not only to get in the door but get promoted is a valuable step and one you really should take.

Assuming that you really don't and won't need the PhD, then I wouldn't wait a few more weeks to let people know that you plan on leaving since they may want the chance to make your funding available to another grad student for the spring or it could be that they need to scramble to find someone to pick up your TA assignment. I'd be honest in talking to the DGS or department head about your reasons for leaving, focusing in particular on your intended career path and how the PhD isn't needed for that. 

Also, assuming you had a funded place in a PhD program, you may want to start applying for jobs now so that you have an income source once you exit your PhD program. Good luck!

Your reasons were all the reasons I ended up being very dissatisfied with my PhD program as well, especially "Doing high level research that is disconnected from the individuals whose lives it impacts makes me sad."* You sound pretty set and pretty clear about your goals, so I would say that leaving is most likely the right move for you.

I would honestly tell your advisor an abbreviated version of what you said here. You've realized that the PhD does not align with your career goals, and you're unhappy, so you're planning on leaving the program. I agree with rising_star that I would wait until you know you're ready to move on (have secured a job or other source of income). Giving them enough time to fund someone else in the spring is a nice goal but make sure that you're supported first.

Leaving the PhD program is likely to have very little impact on going into a professional master's program. If you later decided to get a doctoral degree, you may be called upon to explain why you left your current one, and you might be asked to submit a letter from your current advisor.

In addition to MSW programs, you may want to consider an MPA or MPP based on your career goals. Good luck!

Thank you all for the input. It has been extremely helpful in getting my thoughts lined up. I haven't done any formal informational interviews, but I have been an expert at CV/resume stalking. The majority of the people whose work I admire do typically have a masters degree, a few more have law degrees but I know that would not be the right option for me to pursue. I have talked to a number of people who have completed their MSWs and I feel very excited about the things I can learn through that venue and the skills and perspective I will gain. I have looked at MPA and MPP programs and they tend to be pretty similar to the master's I've already completed, whereas I feel like the focus of the MSW is a nice complement to the studies I've already done and very practical for future work. I don't currently have a permanent, alternative source of income lined up, but I am very fortunate that a number of my extended family run their own businesses so I have a transition plan in place while I search for something more permanent. I think for my mental health, it is better to depart now, than linger around knowing I intend to leave especially since I am confident that I can support myself in the interim.  

I'm starting to talk to people in the department this week and I'm still definitely nervous about making sure I communicate my thoughts clearly and without burning any bridges, especially as the department has been nothing but supportive so far. Thank you for the advice!