Reasons for program choice?

YayYayYay

I am curious as to why people choose the programs they chose. What are the strengths and offerings of each program that makes them so attractive to you?

One thing in my research I have a tuff time finding out is why people are applying to the programs they are applying to. For instance, I want to apply to Columbia because of their faculty mentorship to students. Each student are teamed up with 2 mentors who regularly visit your studio, and go onto outings together with. A friend of mine who attended the program even curated a show with one of her mentors. For RISD, I have read that they focus on the commercial aspects of working as an artist within the market context. Business education for artists was seriously lacking in my undergraduate program, and something I regularly am reminded of as I continue with my practice.

For places like Yale I can't find anything specific, just reputation, and alumni history.

Grad school wasn't an option for me until unexpectedly the middle of this year, so now I'm just rushing to meet the deadline with you guys. So I would appreciate any information that would help my understanding of this question. Specifically am curious about Hunter and MICA ;)

Edited by YayYayYay

I've dedicated the past 7 months really focusing on applying. Last fall, right after undergrad I visited portfolio day in Chicago to get a feel about where I was at. Was reassured that I wasn't ready at the time. But I did get an invitation to visit MICA, so I did in April during their MFA thesis week and I'm glad I did. 

I think you really shouldn't worry about ranking, and that is what I've been told. I know someone in undergrad who applied to all the top 20 ranked schools and didn't get into one. (Had good skill, but not a good artist, had to much ego and money from his parents.) I know someone else who has applied twice now and I honesty think it's because she cares to much about ranking and doesn't do enough research into the school.

Im applying to Hunter, Pratt, Tufts, and Tyler. I'm drawn to all three because I'm applying in painting but really want to explore sculpture and installation, all of those schools say after starting the program, students are considered "artists" and not "painters" or "sculptors" and encourage exploration. I really have my heart set on Hunter because of its affordability, location, faculty and curriculum. I'm like praying I get in. I went to their prospective student week and asked A LOT of questions. It aligned with their open studios so I really got a feel for the school. 

I visited the later 3 during portfolio day and got real positive feedback and again asked a lot of questions. Every school is looking for something specific, and it's important to know more about the program and also HOW TO CRAFT YOUR STATEMENT. Most important thing I can say is to be honest, don't use a bunch of vocabulary you don't actually use to try to set an impression, they see right thru that. Your statement isn't going to be a copy and paste deal. I visited Pratt last minute after portfolio review since I was in NYC for hunter and got a good feel. My concern tho is their studios are pretty open and there isn't much privacy, which I'm an introvert and have a lot of anxiety and panic due to over stimulation so I'm afraid the studio setup wouldn't be good for me.  

When I visited MICA I had a good reaction but someone I know who finished their MFA told me there is a stigma in the ny scene against grads from MICA, and their programs only have one director so you really only work with one faculty member, there also isn't much rigor in theory and academia so I don't think it's right for me. 

I say apply this year! But if by chance you don't get in, don't be distraught. Take it as an opportunity to look more into each program, their faculty and curriculum and really do your research. Try to go to portfolio days and visit as many schools as you possibly can. I just took a week off work and drained my savings to do portfolio reviews and visit Hunter and Pratt and I am so happy that I did. 

Edited by meghanmetier

Also get in contact with your former professors. Show them your recent work, talk to them about it. You need your professors to write your letters of reccomendation so keep them up to date and show them you're serious. They might know the faculty at programs youre applying to and it can really help a lot. Someone told me when she applied, she packed her car with her work and drove 6 hours to show them her to work. 

On 11/12/2016 at 7:32 PM, meghanmetier said:

Also get in contact with your former professors. Show them your recent work, talk to them about it. You need your professors to write your letters of reccomendation so keep them up to date and show them you're serious. They might know the faculty at programs youre applying to and it can really help a lot. Someone told me when she applied, she packed her car with her work and drove 6 hours to show them her to work. 

Thanks for your reply Meghanmetier! These are all very helpful tips, and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day towards helping me :) 
I especially needed the advice on statements as I'm working on that right now. I had jobs where I write about other people's work, but when it comes to writing about myself I'm just lost. I cannot agree with you more on not using vocabulary unfamiliar to you.

I'm not too worried about ranking, but it is where I am starting from when trying to figure out which school to apply to. I'm still editing my list of schools to send applications to. It does seem the more obscure a program is, the more you need to know someone who has attended the program to get information about it.

No money to travel for portfolio days or campus tours, saving that for in person interviews, and application related fees.

Good luck for Hunter, I know one person who has attended and overall she seems very happy with her experience (also a painter/ sculptor.) 

And thank you for the tip on references. Two of the letters will be coming from previous professors, and one is from my supervisor from a recent job as an artist mentor for artists with disabilities. Geez, kudos to your friend; that is dedication. Luckily for me, I've kept up with my professors, and we all live in the same city. Which is great because I have no money to spare for gas :wacko:

Ah awesome. I kinda realized I didn't answer your question directly, but when I decided to choose schools it was a choice of location, (get me out of the Midwest please) whether the curriculum was heavy in theory and history, faculty I'm interested in and having meeting with someone from the school and getting positive feedback.

Someone once gave me a long list of links about writing statements, I can send them to you if you want? Also I was told to have professors review over them and friends. You could also try contacting admissions to the schools and ask for more guidelines and expectations about the statement? Like when I talked to temple they told me they don't want an artist statement they want to hear what I want to get out of being in school for two more years. Hunter told me they want me to explain my work and talk about my personal history.

Edited by meghanmetier

On 11/15/2016 at 4:24 PM, meghanmetier said:

Ah awesome. I kinda realized I didn't answer your question directly, but when I decided to choose schools it was a choice of location, (get me out of the Midwest please) whether the curriculum was heavy in theory and history, faculty I'm interested in and having meeting with someone from the school and getting positive feedback.

Someone once gave me a long list of links about writing statements, I can send them to you if you want? Also I was told to have professors review over them and friends. You could also try contacting admissions to the schools and ask for more guidelines and expectations about the statement? Like when I talked to temple they told me they don't want an artist statement they want to hear what I want to get out of being in school for two more years. Hunter told me they want me to explain my work and talk about my personal history.

Location is very important. It's why, while I respect the program, I'm not applying to Chicago. I just don't believe I can handle even one winter there. The coldest it's ever gotten for me in Los Angeles was maybe 50s or 40s at night. Slept with 3 comforters lol :rolleyes:

To call admissions for statement pointers is a good idea. Especially for programs that don't have a description of what they are looking for when reading statements. I'm gonna use that.
That is very generous of you to offer, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share the list with me. Thank you so much!