penn fels

saranyc234

Hello - I am attempting to finalize my list of schools I plan on applying to this admissions cycle.

I was wondering why Penn Fels is not commonly mentioned on this board. What is the reputation of the program? I am also confused how Fels graduates are seen versus Lauder graduates. I understand Lauder is the more prestigious program, so is it an issue when you are coming from Fels? I do not have the language requirement for Lauder.

Thanks!

Different focus. Lauder is international business, intercultural management, obligatory study abroad, area studies and business language training to conduct business abroad.

Fels: local government, strong relationship to Philadelphia public organizations, balance btw problem solving and theory, small class intake, more New England catchment area with fewer internationals. Fels gets less publicity as it does not feed into federal /international organizations and small class compared to SIPA, SAIS. But if you want a small, friendly and excellent program with easy access to profs, quant policy analysis and inter-departmental opportunities (electives at Wharton B-School), Fels would be a great choice. Many alumni  work in senior positions in City of Philadelphia and state government. Good opps to do internships or capstone project guided by Fels alumni. I would think Fels is more selective than some higher profile schools on this board such as GWU or NYU.

• 3 months later...

@Ohhsojenna I spoke with a recent alum and it was more of a conversation about my interest in social policy and what I hope to gain as a result of earning an MPA. I asked a lot of questions about life as a Fels student and their current work, because it was directly related to my field of interest. He seemed most interested in seeing if my goals and interests aligned with the program to gauge whether or not I would be a good fit: policy interest, work history, moving from the west coast to the east coast, career interests, self-sufficiency, etc. Hope that helps, but I'm sure it depends on whoever you end up talking to. Good luck!

@Ohhsojenna Is this for the MPA (Fels) or the MSSP (SP2)?  I had an alum interview for the Fels MPA back in February that was very similar to @Garcia's. 

If you're asking about the MSSP, I had a Skype interview with Mary Mazzola from admissions on Friday and she asked pretty typical interview questions: why you want to pursue the degree, why Penn, what are your three biggest strengths, what are your plans after you graduate, stuff like that.  If there is anything questionable in your undergrad transcript she may also ask about that.  

@CPRMPA I am asking about the MSSP! My interview is with the assistant director of the MSSP program Azahara Palomeque, who I've met with prior to ask about the program and we had about a 45 minute "interview" and just me asking questions about the program before applying. So Since I've already met with her, I'm not 100% sure what to expect. I've also skyped with the director since she does a lot with health policy is what I want to do. I know she'll bring up my GRE's since they're SO low. We talked before I took my GRE's and told her how I was so anxious because I'm just not a great standardized test taker. Anything else you can think of that they'll ask?

and @Garcia thank you! And if you have anything else to add, I'm all ears!