Sample Format

Dialectica

Does any one have a preferred format for their sample? Anyone think one format is better than another with respect to adcoms? I've heard some advice that says one should offer something readable, and for that reason should opt for single-spacing or at least 1.5. What do you think? Margins? Font? 

This assumes there aren't specific requirements for the application in question. Though, I realize some applications require that you have a certain format. Does anyone think flouting that for paper-quality/time reasons can be reasonable?

Double-spacing is, I think, standard for the writing sample. For example, NYU asks for 20-25 pages double-spaced. With respect to margins and font, it's probably best to keep it simple: Times New Roman with 1-inch margins. 

59 minutes ago, be. said:

Double-spacing is, I think, standard for the writing sample. For example, NYU asks for 20-25 pages double-spaced. With respect to margins and font, it's probably best to keep it simple: Times New Roman with 1-inch margins. 

Well, they say it's a reasonable length. Many programs state that as a measure of how long they prefer samples to be, but less as a stringent requirement for format (though, some, of course, do have such requirements). And from my limited experience, I've seen a good handful of successful samples formatted differently, many single-spaced. Though, I think you're right that double-spaced is standard. 

1 hour ago, Dialectica said:

Well, they say it's a reasonable length. Many programs state that as a measure of how long they prefer samples to be, but less as a stringent requirement for format (though, some, of course, do have such requirements). And from my limited experience, I've seen a good handful of successful samples formatted differently, many single-spaced. Though, I think you're right that double-spaced is standard. 

I agree that it doesn't need to be double-spaced. I suppose your formatting choice, to some extent, will depend on how long your paper is. If it's on the long side, perhaps single-spacing is okay. 

Do not single-space it. Double-space it. Once you've done some of your own grading, you'll quickly realize that single-spaced work is a royal pain in the visual ass, especially when (unlike a journal article) it's novice-level work. Single-spacing is an invitation to skim your sample or junk it entirely. Remember, the committee members have hundreds of these to read (or dozens, if they winnow before reading samples). Single-spacing to ensure you fit into the page limit is a recipe for disaster. If I were handed a 20-25 page paper that was single-spaced, I wouldn't bother reading it. I'd just reject the applicant. There are hundreds of other applicants, after all, who were able to follow the guidelines, and who demonstrated at least minimal familiarity with the editorial process by keeping their papers to the limit. (Note: I think it's OK to be a page or two over the limit.)

Remember, this is not a fair process. Your goal here is to make it through the first few cuts, so that the adcomm actually looks at your file carefully. For the first few cuts, they're looking for reasons to junk your application. Don't give them reasons to do so.

Also, make sure your text is justified and not left-aligned. It looks a lot better (as long as you deal with false returns) and scans more easily.

@maxhgns I never meant to suggest that one should break any would-be guidlines for samples. I was asking what might be a preferred format, given that the program in question doesn't have any explicit guidlines other than for general length requirements. And I certainly didn't mean to suggest one could or should single-space to stay within the page limit. 

That said, I'm still not sure regarding what's more readable. I've heard from more than a few folks that single-spaced papers are *more* readable. So I'm not sure what to make of this. 

Edited by Dialectica

I have no advice on margins or spacing, but I will pass along something I learned from Luca Fererro in my MA writing workshop: change your font to Garamond. It's both better-looking and actually easier to read than Times New Roman (Luca claimed there are studies about this). A lot of books are set in Garamond, so it still looks professional. And it's slightly smaller than TNR, so you can squeeze in a little bit more. If you're using Calibri, we need to have a serious talk.

50 minutes ago, MentalEngineer said:

I have no advice on margins or spacing, but I will pass along something I learned from Luca Fererro in my MA writing workshop: change your font to Garamond. It's both better-looking and actually easier to read than Times New Roman (Luca claimed there are studies about this). A lot of books are set in Garamond, so it still looks professional. And it's slightly smaller than TNR, so you can squeeze in a little bit more. If you're using Calibri, we need to have a serious talk.

EASY! ...I was using Calibri lol.

I don't have word, I use libreoffice so I'm tinkering now to see if I can't find a more suitable font.

9 hours ago, day_manderly said:

Try Liberation Serif, it's perfectly Times-New-Roman/like. :)

Good look!

Do other people do cover pages for their writing sample? Part of me feels like it's pretentious (...it's just a writing sample...) but part of me is like "well a cover page can't count toward the page limit, and that's another half a page of real estate I could use..."

On 11/22/2016 at 9:41 AM, desolesiii said:

I work as a senior editor for an academic legal journal. It's boring, but I found the true love of my life. Century Schoolbook has captured my heart, though I admit that Garamond is pretty cute, albeit a little immature for her age.

Century Schoolbook looks like a thrice-scanned, nigh-illegible PDF of a British paper from the 1930's, the sort of thing Bertrand Russell might quietly 'harrumph' at in approval. I can see why a certain personality might get attached to it. I can't help but see it as a bit stodgy.

On 11/24/2016 at 11:32 AM, MentalEngineer said:

Century Schoolbook looks like a thrice-scanned, nigh-illegible PDF of a British paper from the 1930's, the sort of thing Bertrand Russell might quietly 'harrumph' at in approval. I can see why a certain personality might get attached to it. I can't help but see it as a bit stodgy.

It is the perfect font and it is the truth. ?