Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

Any good advice on how to go about wording an email rejecting an admissions offer? I am really struggling to find the right words because this was a really hard decision for me and I had a lengthy correspondence and an actual on campus visit to this university. Ultimately, I was accepted to my top choice program and the fit is a lot better but nonetheless, I still am having a hard time wording this rejection! Anyone else send a rejection email care to share how they worded it? 

1 hour ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Any good advice on how to go about wording an email rejecting an admissions offer? I am really struggling to find the right words because this was a really hard decision for me and I had a lengthy correspondence and an actual on campus visit to this university. Ultimately, I was accepted to my top choice program and the fit is a lot better but nonetheless, I still am having a hard time wording this rejection! Anyone else send a rejection email care to share how they worded it? 

The subject of the email was "Declination of [School] admissions offer" because I wanted to temper expectations before it was even read. 

[PI name],

After careful consideration, I have made the difficult decision to decline [School]'s offer of admission. While I very much appreciated the opportunity to meet the faculty and graduate students at [School], I believe another program is a better fit for my research interests. Thank you for your time and consideration during this process.

Best,

[Me]

The PI wrote back and said they were sorry it didn't work out and asked where I ended up accepting and why. I said, "I really enjoyed my time at [School], am very honored to have been accepted, and hope to convey this was not an easy decision. However, based on my academic background and research interests, I accepted an offer from [program] at the [Chosen School]."

The PI wrote back again and very kindly said I made a good choice and will have a good experience. Overall the conversation went as well as could be expected. 

Edited by dormcat

Not accepted, ended on 1 waitlist and 1 school that never contacted me (looking at you, Mississippi)

Working my same job-  teaching high schoolers and community college students

Reconsidering why I ever considered a shift from I/O, and thinking about HRWD programs - I only want a dr behind my name to be in a university classroom :) and a HRWD program may have less stringent requirements for publications and GRE quant

Best wishes to everyone !!!

On 4/15/2017 at 3:01 PM, canessa said:

So, I'm curious...

Any final decisions for anyone who got accepted?

Made a really tough choice (narrowed down my acceptances to three great programs that I absolutely loved), accepted an offer from one of them, finishing up my undergrad (yay to almost being done, not so much yay on having to get all my work done).

Otherwise mostly just excited (and also a bit stressed) about moving to a big city (although I do consider myself a city person), and looking for suitable places to live.

Ultimately, feels nice to have made a choice, now onwards to more research (which is the best part!).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

I ended up getting accepted to 2/8 programs I applied to. One PhD and one Master's program. I elected to choose the PhD program as the research match was too good to pass up (Plus who wants to go through this process again if they don't have to? #noMoreGRE) Have registered for courses and looking forward to class in the fall! Have been in contact with two faculty members I will be conducting research with in the fall and am excited to meet members of the cohort. Waited two years before I applied, so I am excited to get started. Very blessed to get into a program in my first application cycle. Hoping anyone reading this finds this site helpful, a lot of nice folks here makes the awful application process a bit less awful :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear All Greetings, I hope everybody doing very well, My wife has M.Phil Applied Psychology (18 years qualification with Thesis) she got opportunity to do PhD in General Practices, As it does not 100% relate to her educational background but have some relevancy specifically she can do research in Psychology and produce thesis but her degree will be awarded in General Practices which is more related to Medical Research and education, My Question is should we go for this PhD opportunity or look for anything more related to Psychology??

2 hours ago, Farhan2017 said:

Dear All Greetings, I hope everybody doing very well, My wife has M.Phil Applied Psychology (18 years qualification with Thesis) she got opportunity to do PhD in General Practices, As it does not 100% relate to her educational background but have some relevancy specifically she can do research in Psychology and produce thesis but her degree will be awarded in General Practices which is more related to Medical Research and education, My Question is should we go for this PhD opportunity or look for anything more related to Psychology??

First off, if you have a question only post in relevant existing threads/create a new one and don't bump old ones.

And it depends on what doors that degree can open and what her goals are. Also I'm assuming she wouldn't be a doctoral student in the US so you might need to specify what country she'll be getting her degree from.