Should I even bother applying to grad schools at this point?

Nico Corr

I am a non-traditional student who just graduated. I decided about 2 years ago that I wanted to go to graduate school to study international relations and conflict resolution, and started researching different grad programs that would suit my interests and that I would have realistic chances of getting into. I narrowed it down to about five schools, and went to as many webinars and open houses as I could in between working full time and going to school full time. I originally had planned to apply to attend classes in the Fall of 2017, but with a promotion at work, and a thesis paper I had to complete on top of  my course work, I haven't found any time to take the GRE. Application deadlines for most of the schools I wish to apply to are in the beginning of January, and I know I need to allow enough time for these scores to get in by the deadline. I also haven't had any time to study for the exam and fear a month's time isn't enough as I am hearing people say you  need at least a good three months to prepare. I'm also worried the professors I want to get LORs from won't have enough time to get them in. Should I just hold off until next year to apply?

Since you haven't studied for or taken the GRE and you would be giving letter writers less than a month's notice it would be a stretch to apply this season.  Different fields/programs use GRE scores differently, but you still want to perform as well as you can.  If you apply next season you have the next 6-9 months to take the GRE, stay in touch with your letter writers, and do whatever else (research, volunteering, not sure what is specific to your field) you should be doing to stay connected to your field and boost your CV.  Applying next year when you will be more prepared and not working at the last minute (or asking others to) doesn't seem like the end of the world.

41 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Since you haven't studied for or taken the GRE and you would be giving letter writers less than a month's notice it would be a stretch to apply this season.  Different fields/programs use GRE scores differently, but you still want to perform as well as you can.  If you apply next season you have the next 6-9 months to take the GRE, stay in touch with your letter writers, and do whatever else (research, volunteering, not sure what is specific to your field) you should be doing to stay connected to your field and boost your CV.  Applying next year when you will be more prepared and not working at the last minute (or asking others to) doesn't seem like the end of the world.

Thanks for the reply. That is the direction I am leaning towards. This could also give me time to fulfill the econ pre-reqs I have yet to take. The only concerns I have about holding off applying is the fact that as a non-traditional student in a non-traditional program, I have very little interaction with any of my professors who I would like to write my LORs. I have one in mind that I have worked closely with write my thesis, but other than that, I have sparse communication with the rest, and by holding off, I'm afraid their will be a disconnect.

32 minutes ago, Nico Corr said:

Thanks for the reply. That is the direction I am leaning towards. This could also give me time to fulfill the econ pre-reqs I have yet to take. The only concerns I have about holding off applying is the fact that as a non-traditional student in a non-traditional program, I have very little interaction with any of my professors who I would like to write my LORs. I have one in mind that I have worked closely with write my thesis, but other than that, I have sparse communication with the rest, and by holding off, I'm afraid their will be a disconnect.

That is a valid concern, but think of it this way.  You'll only be disconnected if you allow yourself to be.  There are plenty of threads from nontraditional students on these boards that discuss getting creative to stay connected to their field and in regular contact with potential letter writers on top of working full time and family obligations.  Do your potential letter writers need assistance with any special projects?  Are they conducting research?  Can you guest lecture for any of their classes?  Are you doing any independent work that they are willing to supervise?

Also knocking out all of your prereqs before starting a program is smart.  Having to do them while in a program will put you behind or you'll risk exhausting yourself by doing to much to keep up with everyone else.  

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

That is a valid concern, but think of it this way.  You'll only be disconnected if you allow yourself to be.  There are plenty of threads from nontraditional students on these boards that discuss getting creative to stay connected to their field and in regular contact with potential letter writers on top of working full time and family obligations.  Do your potential letter writers need assistance with any special projects?  Are they conducting research?  Can you guest lecture for any of their classes?  Are you doing any independent work that they are willing to supervise?

Also knocking out all of your prereqs before starting a program is smart.  Having to do them while in a program will put you behind or you'll risk exhausting yourself by doing to much to keep up with everyone else.  

My recommendees are mostly adjunct professors who also work in their fields during the day, so not much room for that. If I have to I will think of something. One other school I was thinking of applying to has a deadline of February 1st but advises not to take the test any later than mid December.

I don't think the GRE should take 3 months to prepare, but it depends on your current ability and what scores you want to achieve. 

If you are really interested in that Feb 1 school (i.e. if you get into that school, you'll be likely to accept it over other offers you may get next year), then it's not too late to apply if you are already doing well in the GRE. Many schools have outdated or just wrong information about GRE scores and timings. It only takes 10-15 days for a school to receive your scores, so if you write the GRE in early January, there should be plenty of time. If you can devote about 30-40 hours to prepare for the GRE between now and early January, then you should also be fine (again, though, this depends on how you would score now vs. your goal scores). Asking now for letters on Feb 1 is also reasonable.

However, you shouldn't do this if you aren't sure that the Feb 1 school is the right fit for you. Taking another year will give you more opportunities next year (so, unless the Feb 1 school is one of the best opportunities, no need to rush it). If you wait a year, I would recommend letting your potential letter writers know about your plan to apply for Fall 2018 in a couple of months (after they have written letters for people applying in Fall 2017) and continue contact with them throughout 2017.

On 12/8/2016 at 11:05 AM, MarineBluePsy said:

There are plenty of threads from nontraditional students on these boards that discuss getting creative to stay connected to their field and in regular contact with potential letter writers on top of working full time and family obligations. 

On 12/8/2016 at 0:44 PM, Nico Corr said:

If I have to I will think of something. 

Try the old fashion way. Start a correspondence with potential LoR writers. And by old fashion, I mean actual physical letters. I mean well written letters that you show the best of yourself as an aspiring graduate student who will ultimately be that person's peer. Take a look at ISBN-13: 978-0812242539 for possible ideas on tone, style, and subject.

HTH.

1 hour ago, Sigaba said:

Try the old fashion way. Start a correspondence with potential LoR writers. And by old fashion, I mean actual physical letters. I mean well written letters that you show the best of yourself as an aspiring graduate student who will ultimately be that person's peer. Take a look at ISBN-13: 978-0812242539 for possible ideas on tone, style, and subject.

HTH.

This is an interesting idea, but a warning: many professors are neglectful of their actual physical inboxes. I've seen professor mailboxes overflow and/or piles of letters (unopened) sitting on professor desks. And some professors get so many letters from random people asking for admission, a cure for X, to review their new theorem Y, etc. that many letters from unknown sources go unread/ignored.

I know someone who was a TA at UCLA-- huge, huge classes and massive annual turnover.  She would always tell her students that if they wanted a recommendation, to ask for it by the end of the semester.  If they waited, she would have forgotten all about them no matter how well they did.  

I'd ask your most likely targets if they'd be willing to write a LOR, with the understanding that it might be on ice for a while.  See what they suggest.