2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

3 hours ago, ochemist94 said:

Got an interview at UCSF CCB program :)  Does anyone know how many they accept among the interviewees? 

Same here - very excited! Hope to see you there!

Though on the calendar to select interview dates, it doesn't seem like any days are highlighted.

49 minutes ago, Dragon_ChemBio said:

Same here - very excited! Hope to see you there!

Though on the calendar to select interview dates, it doesn't seem like any days are highlighted.

Me too! I asked Julia (the administrator) and she said she will send out further info on Monday! 

Undergrad Institution: PNW Liberal Arts School

Major(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: ~3.65 
Overall GPA: 3.77
Position in Class: Don't know...
Type of Student: Domestic, male, small town roots

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 159
W: 4.0
Chemistry: Didn't take

Research Experience: 1 summer working for a professor creating SC XRD curriculum for lab courses, 1 year on senior thesis (organophosphate pesticide degradation)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  ACS Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry, Dean's List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for 3 semesters (one of which, TA'd for the inorganic course that I had not taken, but created SC XRD lab work for)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Presented research (talk) at the Murdock College Science Research Research Conference and (poster) at the ACS meeting this spring. 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent connections in my proposed field, 2 alma mater recommenders, research in curriculum creation/interest in education

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Attended the American Crystallographic Association summer school and was one of two undergraduates present. Basically a week of post-doc level courses and hands on learning with the best of the best. 

Applying to Where:

UC Davis -- Inorganic Chemistry (Crystallography)

Northwestern -- Materials Science and Engineering (Conservation Science)

Georgetown -- Inorganic Chemistry (Crystallography)

U Washington -- Inorganic/Materials Chemistry

I have been accepted to UC Davis!! (Dec. 15) However, UW and NW both show that they have not received my GRE scores and I'm not sure what to do. Also, video for NW??? That field cancelled out after I selected my program... Is it because I applied for the school of engineering instead? 

Edited by octahedral93

4 hours ago, octahedral93 said:

Research Experience: 1 summer working for a professor creating SC XRD curriculum for lab courses, 1 year on senior thesis (organophosphate pesticide degradation)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  ACS Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry, Dean's List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for 3 semesters (one of which, TA'd for the inorganic course that I had not taken, but created SC XRD lab work for)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Presented research (talk) at the Murdock College Science Research Research Conference and (poster) at the ACS meeting this spring. 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent connections in my proposed field, 2 alma mater recommenders, research in curriculum creation/interest in education

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Attended the American Crystallographic Association summer school and was one of two undergraduates present. Basically a week of post-doc level courses and hands on learning with the best of the best. 

Applying to Where:

I have been accepted to UC Davis!! (Dec. 15) However, UW and NW both show that they have not received my GRE scores and I'm not sure what to do. Also, video for NW??? That field cancelled out after I selected my program... Is it because I applied for the school of engineering instead? 

I think only some programs including chemistry require Video interview for NW, and Don't worry! Congrats for being accepted to UC Davis!! I haven't gotten any e-mails...so nervous..

57 minutes ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

I think only some programs including chemistry require Video interview for NW, and Don't worry! Congrats for being accepted to UC Davis!! I haven't gotten any e-mails...so nervous..

Just curious, did you finish the video interview for NW showing after submission ? whats that about?

42 minutes ago, funebrene said:

Just curious, did you finish the video interview for NW showing after submission ? whats that about?

Yes I finished it before deadline and it was some questions about future plan, research interest, etc.

4 hours ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

The Davis response felt instantaneous. Making me nervous for other schools, especially due to the random "missing" GRE Scores. Still holding out for Georgetown as that's my top choice. 

3 hours ago, funebrene said:

Hi guys! I do think the video is completely optional for chemistry majors. I didn't do it and got the same warning message but I was accepted on Saturday! Still freaking out about other school though and best of luck to everyone :)

On 12/20/2016 at 1:43 AM, octahedral93 said:

Applying to Where:

Yup, I have the same problem with UWashington. Keeps on saying for me to submit my GRE scores. While below, it has all my GRE scores from 2 sittings and the subject GRE. Strange.

Undergrad Institution: Medium State school

Major(s): Materials Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.81
Overall GPA: 3.71
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: Domestic/American

Q: 160
V: 157
W:  3.5
Chemistry: 800 (79%)

Research Experience: 2 summer REU programs & 5 semesters of research, 1st author publication submitted to J. Phys. Chem. C. & another 1st author and 2nd author publication in preparation, 2 presentations at national ACS meeting (oral & poster), 2 presentations at regional ACS meeting (oral & poster)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Award in Undergraduate Research, Scholarship for excellence in STEM

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for Inorganic Chem. I

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: First student to join lab at home institution, so I built the lab and configured all instrumentation

Special Bonus Points: Strong and specific statement of purpose, 3 strong LOR's, been in contact with professors at several schools I'm applying

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

UT-Austin (Inorganic), UIUC, U Michigan Ann Arbor, Colorado State, Stanford, Northwestern, Texas A&M

9 hours ago, AnaChem321 said:

Hi guys! I do think the video is completely optional for chemistry majors. I didn't do it and got the same warning message but I was accepted on Saturday! Still freaking out about other school though and best of luck to everyone :)

Did you got offer from Northwestern???? 

Also, I wasn't able to complete the video in the regular application either. I wrote a nice script for it and tried it multiple times with IE, Chrome, and Firefox and it just kept lagging and not recording. I was in the lab on my University's wifi and I have a fast computer, so I don't know what went wrong.

Edited by Dibenzofulvene

14 hours ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Yes I finished it before deadline and it was some questions about future plan, research interest, etc.

11 hours ago, AnaChem321 said:

Thanks for the information!!

3 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

@AnaChem321 I am also curious! Also, if you were accepted how did they notify you?

I'm praying and waiting in anticipation for Scripps...

Yes I received a call and email from a professor on behalf of the admissions committee but haven't gotten any official papers from NW itself. Best of luck with Scripps!!

Edited by AnaChem321

57 minutes ago, AnaChem321 said:

Yes I received a call and email from a professor on behalf of the admissions committee but haven't gotten any official papers from NW itself. Best of luck with Scripps!!

I also got a call from Northwestern on Saturday (12/17) saying I got accepted into the program, ( :D !) but have yet to receive an official email or letter. I didn't do the video interview either because I didn't really find the time. I was wondering if I just imagined that phone call because it woke me up on Saturday morning lol.

1 hour ago, perylenekween said:

I also got a call from Northwestern on Saturday (12/17) saying I got accepted into the program, ( :D !) but have yet to receive an official email or letter. I didn't do the video interview either because I didn't really find the time. I was wondering if I just imagined that phone call because it woke me up on Saturday morning lol.

Congrats! Which field did you apply?? NW is one of my dream school and I am really anxious..