2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

Congrats Herbert West! 

So, I just found out that a publication that I submitted in December got accepted. I'm wondering what are you guys's thoughts about updating the schools. I don't want to cause them any more stress because I know they are super busy with applications. Also, I'm not sure that it will have any effect on the decision since the files have probably already been reviewed. 

22 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Congrats Herbert West! 

So, I just found out that a publication that I submitted in December got accepted. I'm wondering what are you guys's thoughts about updating the schools. I don't want to cause them any more stress because I know they are super busy with applications. Also, I'm not sure that it will have any effect on the decision since the files have probably already been reviewed. 

Thanks dibenzofulvene! I would probably tell the schools you're most interested in that you got a publication. It definitely shouldn't hurt to do that. It's really useful because it shows your prowess as a researcher.

6 hours ago, Herbert West said:

I just got an email containing visit weekend info from UW-Madison that said I was recommended for admittance! Hope everyone's doing well! 

congraturation!!!!!

5 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Hey guys, Stanford has started sending admits in Organic for international applicants. Not sure about domestic. 

:o How do you know? I haven't seen anything in the results section ...

Hey guys, I just wanted to get something off my chest..I don't really know of anybody going through the application process right now IRL because I am kind of non-traditional, so I just wanted to vent here. I switched masters advisors a couple of times and have gone through a lot of hell and depression throughout the years. The first time was because my advisor left me and there was no way I could go with him. He pretty much told everyone except me and then told me when it was too late for me to leave with him. That experience has really kept with me and I have some internal issues from it that I am still working through. The second time was a combination between bad research fit and him being emotionally abusive (telling me that I could not do research..even though I can, etc..). I made the hard decision to switch to my great advisor now that has been a godsend. I worked extremely hard over the past year and was able to publish in a short amount of time, and I'm super thankful of being able to continue on and complete my PhD at some great institutions.

However, I received notice that a particular school was wary because I had changed advisors so much. I am extremely upset, because I feel like that in a way negates the hard work that I've put in with my current advisor and it gives my past toxic advisors the strength to completely define me as a student. *sigh* I know that I should not let this upset me, and I should be writing my thesis right now, but it really has me contemplating a lot of things. 

Edited by Dibenzofulvene

3 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

However, I received notice that a particular school was wary because I had changed advisors so much. 

Who told you this? 

There are very few people who apply to Chem PhD programs with a "perfect" application. There's always a weakness (e.g. poor GPA) or something "non-traditional". The fact you got a paper out of your current lab is great (I'd argue that most undergrads applying to Chemistry PhD programs don't have any papers) and your currently advisor will clearly be putting in a strong letter about all the great work you've done in such a short time. In an ideal world yes, perhaps ad comms would prefer to see a couple of years research experience in one lab...but your CV clearly shows that changing labs isn't a problem with you. Going through different labs has helped you develop different research skills, and now you're better able to screen for toxic labs (trust me, you need this skill going in to grad school).

If there was one crusty old white guy on one ad comm somewhere complaining about your CV...screw 'em. 

On 2017. 1. 4. at 2:12 AM, Herbert West said:

I just got an email containing visit weekend info from UW-Madison that said I was recommended for admittance! Hope everyone's doing well! 

Congrats! I am also waiting for UW-Madison... Was there any changes on your website (my.wisc.edu) ???

20 minutes ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Congrats! I am also waiting for UW-Madison... Was there any changes on your website (my.wisc.edu) ???

Not immediately. The email came first on 1/3 at 10 am. Then my.wisc showed the same message the next day at 2 pm. Good luck! 

3 hours ago, Chem123 said:

It was an email from the admissions committee with a letter. No contact from a POI yet. 

Thank you very much for the info!! Good luck to your other applications!

Hi everyone! 

So I just checked MyWisc account and in the Grad Application Status, it says

"Chemistry PhD - Pending Review

"(some bunch of numbers)~G153~G00~Available for Recommendation~12/16/2016~1182 - Pending Review". Can anyone tell me what that means? 

Edited by sk8er determinant

29 minutes ago, sk8er determinant said:

Hi everyone! 

So I just checked MyWisc account and in the Grad Application Status, it says

"Chemistry PhD - Pending Review

"(some bunch of numbers)~G153~G00~Available for Recommendation~12/16/2016~1182 - Pending Review". Can anyone tell me what that means? 

Mine says the same thing..except the date is changed to 12/14 (the date I submitted the application)

2 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Mine says the same thing..except the date is changed to 12/14 (the date I submitted the application)

Mine says 12/16 which is quite odd because I definitely submitted on the 15th...I suppose that's when they got my application? Hm... Would definitely love to know what that means

1 hour ago, sk8er determinant said:

Mine says 12/16 which is quite odd because I definitely submitted on the 15th...I suppose that's when they got my application? Hm... Would definitely love to know what that means

Dibenzofulvene and sk8er Determinant, that could be the date they received all of the files needed for your application? (Letters, transcripts, test scores, and the like)