2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

24 minutes ago, ochemist94 said:

Congrats!! Me too :) Maybe see you at the visit weekend! 

Yay! Did they give you the dates for the weekend? The professor I spoke to said that he didn't know the dates.
I've never been to Los Angeles so I'm excited to visit and meet everyone

9 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Yay! Did they give you the dates for the weekend? The professor I spoke to said that he didn't know the dates.
I've never been to Los Angeles so I'm excited to visit and meet everyone

Did you get an email from UCLA too or only a call from the prof?

13 hours ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Congrats! Which field did you apply?? NW is one of my dream school and I am really anxious..

I think I picked organic. Also, I have heard that Northwestern sends out different rounds of acceptances, one coming out in early January I think.

2 hours ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Congrats! When did you submit your application to NW??

Thanks KR! I applied Nov 30-Dec 1st. A little late. I am domestic, though. I think it's still so early.

I am so confused by Irvine..it was one of my top choices at the beginning, but I have not heard anything.

Edited by Dibenzofulvene

13 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Yeah, that's where I'm checking the status using my NetID. 

Mine gave an error message when I tried to access the UW-Madison site from my phone, but I was able to check the Grad Application Status page from a desktop just fine.

I've been lurking and I'm starting to get acceptance letters so I thought I'd share. I think my background is a bit different - my standardized test scores are pretty bad, to the fault of my own. However, chemistry is a passion of mine and I have shown this through other routes. Networking was probably the most important part of my competitiveness. Every school I'm applying to has 2-3 professors that I've met in person and email occasionally. For the higher tier schools, I do not think I'd get in without this. Best of luck to you all. 

Undergrad Institution: Very small college (I have an A.S. degree as a transfer student) 

Major(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.90
Overall GPA: 3.95
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Male, learning disability, ethnic background, first gen

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 157
V: 154
W: 4.0
Chemistry: 670 (sigh..)

Research Experience: 1 summer with my college PI, a well known research in the field, made my own project. Collaboration with a national lab for 2 weeks. Summer at a large NSF CCI, published in high impact journal

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Analytical and inorganic chemist of the year, dean's list, McNair, LSAMP

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: established ACS student chapter, tutor, outreach events in the inner city

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Keynote speaker for regional conference

Special Bonus Points: I networked very hard. I have a lot of connections in my field currently. I've attended 3 national conferences, 3 regional, and 6 grad preview weekends. My PI has his own network of connections that are available to me. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Was a comm. college transfer that worked full time to pay tuition and rent. My background is extremely financially poor and I am just now getting up to speed on this whole research thing - it's fantastic.

Applying to Where:

UC Davis -- Atmo Sciences

UCSD - Chemistry (Accepted)

Caltech - Env. engineering

UC Berkey - Earth and Planetary Sciences

UC Boulder

These aren't all chemistry, but my field of research can all be completed within these disciplines - it is still in essence "chemistry". 

Edited by iketike

On 12/23/2016 at 2:37 PM, Herbert West said:

Mine gave an error message when I tried to access the UW-Madison site from my phone, but I was able to check the Grad Application Status page from a desktop just fine.

Yes, that was most likely the issue. It worked well for me when I visited the interface on my laptop. 

Enjoy your holiday break guys!

Applied to 12 universities for MS in Chemical Engineering.
Have not heard from anyone yet.

1. Ohio State University
2. Texas A&M University
3. Carnegie Mellon University
4. University of Maryland, College park
5. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
6. University of Washington, Seattle
7. University of Florida
8. Rutgers University
9. University of California, Riverside
10. Columbia University
11. North Carolina State University
12. Georgia Institute of Technology (Environmental Engineering)

Sorry for the delay, but got accepted to Northwestern by email (including financial information and visit weekends) on 12/22/16. I sent in my application on Dec. 1 and I did the video interview a few days later. I listed inorganic chemistry as my subfield on the application but the email was general for the chemistry department.

6 hours ago, Disselkyle said:

Sorry for the delay, but got accepted to Northwestern by email (including financial information and visit weekends) on 12/22/16. I sent in my application on Dec. 1 and I did the video interview a few days later. I listed inorganic chemistry as my subfield on the application but the email was general for the chemistry department.

Congratulations! Are you an international or domestic applicant?