2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

4 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

I agree, based on last year's results (I think metallocene and another poster experienced this). I'm hoping you get an acceptance ochemist!

Mine is still under review

When did you submit your application? I submitted on Dec 1st.

Aww thank you!! I submitted mine on November 19th, but my last recommender sent his letter on Nov 30th. I'm sure they'll review yours soon! 

Undergrad Institution: Cornell

Major(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: ~3.75 (self calculated, we don't show major GPA on the transcript)
Overall GPA: 3.54
Position in Class: not sure
Type of Student: Domestic, female, Asian

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 165
V: 163
W: 5.0
Chemistry: 840

Research Experience: 3.5 years total, including at my home institution with prestigious professor + internship at national laboratory. One publication (second author), another one pending.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: US National Chemistry Olympiad top 20 finalist, departmental award for best performance in organic chemistry, school scholarship for women in STEM,

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for organic chemistry last summer

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 4 chem grad classes taken, female in STEM status (lel), famous recommender, connections

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

research interest: Organic chemistry/materials chemistry. Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley, Northwestern, U Michigan- Ann Arbor, Stanford

Edited by Coburn

Undergrad Institution: Mid-size private liberal arts 
Majors: Chemical Engineering and Chemistry (ACS Certified)
GPA in Major: 3.91
Overall GPA: 3.86
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 170
V: 166
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 2 summers, one at my home institution and one at large state school

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: First author on one submitted paper to Chemical Physics Letters

Applying to Where:

All Inorganic or Physical Chemistry PhD Programs - UC Berkeley, Stanford, Caltech, UIUC, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Cornell, Princeton, Columbia

NSF and NDSEG fellowships

I've submitted all of my applications.

Edited by Disselkyle

6 hours ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Some people got interviews from UMich!

I noticed that on the survey page also. They are all International, which makes sense because the deadline was Dec 1st.

We should hear back from a couple schools this week..I have one unofficial acceptance so far from a school I submitted this week. 

Also, I decided to not apply to University of Pittsburg, University of Maryland College Park, or UT San Antonio for various reasons.

So, my final school list is: UCLA, UC Irvine, Northwestern, Scripps, UW Madison, UPenn, UNC Chapel Hill, Purdue, Boston University, U Michigan Ann Arbor, UIUC, Yale, Princeton, Stanford

Sending good vibes to you all!

On 12/14/2016 at 3:11 AM, perylenekween said:

No, there's no interview, they just email a response.

I can confirm this. I applied to U Washington (application submitted on Dec 4) and received an email on the 12th with an attached offer. No interview required.

Undergrad Institution: University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): none
GPA: 3.8 
Position in Class: Excellent (I think?) 
Type of Student: Domestic, female, white

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163 (92)
V: 161 (79)
W: 5.0 (93)
Chem: 820 (83)

Research Experience: 1.5 years at my university, one minor presentation in university, no publications
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list a few times, two in university fellowships
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: No TA experience, officer in a few clubs
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:  not really
Special Bonus Points: 4 grad level classes, top score in one of them; am a female in STEM; my advisor is kind of famous?
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: ???

Applying to Where:
All Inorganic/Organic/Organometallic programs (not sure which one I want to do)
University of California - Berkeley
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Washington (I got an offer!)
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

15 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

I noticed that on the survey page also. They are all International, which makes sense because the deadline was Dec 1st.

We should hear back from a couple schools this week..I have one unofficial acceptance so far from a school I submitted this week. 

Many of Korean applicants to U Mich Chemistry got offers interviews. And it seems like school wants to check the english fluency of them. 

12 minutes ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

In Applweb, Northwestern University haven't checked my GRE subject score as official, even though GRE general score was verified as official!

Anyone is in the same situation??

I emailed them the same thing and they replied they had received all my official scores. I guess they just did not update it but you can email them to make sure.

1 hour ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Many of Korean applicants to U Mich Chemistry got offers interviews. And it seems like school wants to check the english fluency of them. 

Does Umich Chemistry usually interview people before giving out offers?

My Northwestern Application is "Complete."

However, my Stanford application is "Incomplete." From previous years, I believe that this is just a computer error. They are pretty good with notifying applicants whose files are incomplete.

Anyone else applying to University of Chicago?

3 hours ago, funebrene said:

Does Umich Chemistry usually interview people before giving out offers?

Well I'm not sure, but it seems like necessary step for international students

3 hours ago, funebrene said:

I emailed them the same thing and they replied they had received all my official scores. I guess they just did not update it but you can email them to make sure.

I hope so.. Did you email to chemistry department?? or other email??

2 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

However, my Stanford application is "Incomplete." From previous years, I believe that this is just a computer error. They are pretty good with notifying applicants whose files are incomplete.

I applied to U chicago!  Ultrafast Chemistry!

2 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Yeah I applied to UChicago. Submitted early Nov and got an offer last week. 

23 minutes ago, ochemist94 said:

Got an interview at UCSF CCB program :) 

Did you get a call or email? I haven't gotten anything yet but can access this page on my application and I'm a bit confused.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 1.11.10 PM.png

1 minute ago, ire1 said:

Did you get a call or email? I haven't gotten anything yet but can access this page on my application and I'm a bit confused.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 1.11.10 PM.png

Yes, I got the same thing. Based on previous years, most people found out through the website, so I think we're good!