Social Psychology RESULTS

radquish7

This might just be overkill, but I thought it would be cool to have a place for social people post what specific schools (and perhaps professors?) we have all heard from all already- whether it be good or bad news. Personally, I'm going crazy trying to figure out if people have heard back from specific social programs yet or not! So, my future colleagues...any news??

-rad

You mean...something like this?

I am fairly certain that the point is so we know who is getting what good/bad news. The results page is anonymous and we cannot ask any further questions.

I think this thread is a good idea. I know that I am curious to ask questions if somebody got an interview/acceptance from any school that I am applying to.

I am fairly certain that the point is so we know who is getting what good/bad news. The results page is anonymous and we cannot ask any further questions.

I think this thread is a good idea. I know that I am curious to ask questions if somebody got an interview/acceptance from any school that I am applying to.

That is exactly what I had in mind!

I wanted to apply to UMich because a professor there does research on psychology and law. I based all my research off her. But, because it was so competitive she told me not to apply. She doesnt have a say until later. They automatically reject so many people.

I wanted to apply to UMich because a professor there does research on psychology and law. I based all my research off her. But, because it was so competitive she told me not to apply. She doesnt have a say until later. They automatically reject so many people.

oh wow thanks for sharing that, makes me feel a bit better. U Mich is ranked number 2 in social psych on the Social Psychology Network website!

nada. haven't heard back from anyone either. but then again, my application deadlines were january 1st and january 15th (today).

the only school i applied to that i know has gotten back to people already is rutgers. so i'm pretty positive i'm going to get a rejection letter from them sometime. they're only accepting one student for the entire psychology ph.d. program there this year. ONE.

So far I have 3 interviews (U Missouri Columbia, SUNY Buffalo and Wayne State) and 1 rejection (UMich). I'm international w/ US degree btw. Pretty happy about the interviews, but would be even more psyched if they were higher-ranked schools, and if they're flying me out for the interview (all 3 are email/phone). Also the UMich rejection is kind of a bummer. I'm a little miffed about the school because of the money it took from me, but then it was my own damn fault I didn't contact professors beforehand. Also, someone on the results page said they're taking only TWO this year - how insane is that? Oh well, I might as well tell myself the rejection really didn't have anything to do with me.

So far I have 3 interviews (U Missouri Columbia, SUNY Buffalo and Wayne State) and 1 rejection (UMich). I'm international w/ US degree btw. Pretty happy about the interviews, but would be even more psyched if they were higher-ranked schools, and if they're flying me out for the interview (all 3 are email/phone). Also the UMich rejection is kind of a bummer. I'm a little miffed about the school because of the money it took from me, but then it was my own damn fault I didn't contact professors beforehand. Also, someone on the results page said they're taking only TWO this year - how insane is that? Oh well, I might as well tell myself the rejection really didn't have anything to do with me.

Congrats on the interviews! When did you get the one from Wayne State?

Hey first post here from a long-time lurker :D

Congrats on your interviews! Can I ask who you applied to work with at SUNY Buffalo? I applied there too and haven't heard anything.

Hey first post here from a long-time lurker :D

Congrats on your interviews! Can I ask who you applied to work with at SUNY Buffalo? I applied there too and haven't heard anything.

Sandra Murray and Mark Seery. I'm not hearing anything from Sandra, but Mark is "very" interested. He's calling me tomorrow for our phone interview. He sounds like an awesome guy! Who did you apply for?

Also, updates: U Missouri is flying me out to Columbia, partially funded, and Wayne State wants to have a Skype video chat :D Anyone else had a video interview? I read somewhere that someone did...

Sandra Murray and Mark Seery. I'm not hearing anything from Sandra, but Mark is "very" interested. He's calling me tomorrow for our phone interview. He sounds like an awesome guy! Who did you apply for?

Also, updates: U Missouri is flying me out to Columbia, partially funded, and Wayne State wants to have a Skype video chat :D Anyone else had a video interview? I read somewhere that someone did...

OK, *whew!* I applied to work with Sandra Murray but not Mark Seery, so that puts me a little more at ease, at least for a while. Congrats though on your interview there and good luck!

That's interesting/cool that they want to have a Skype interview- I saw that somewhere else on the forums too. Let us know how everything goes :D

Wayne State wants to have a Skype video chat :D Anyone else had a video interview? I read somewhere that someone did...

No, but I know people who did, and apparently you should be aware of the weird time lag that will throw off the rhythm of the conversation and probably result in you and your interviewer starting to talk at the same time. The point is: if it happens, don't be thrown off or embarrassed, because it happens to everyone and surely your interviewer is aware of it.

Hi,

I've been rejected from U of Michigan, which threw me off a bit, but after looking at the results page and seeing how many rejections they've sent I'm feeling a bit better. I've had an interview in Harvard and have one set for U of Orgeon. I'm really anxious about the other 7(!) schools I've applied to - especially Cornell, U of Colorado at Boulder and Princeton. anyone heard from them ?

two questions :

1. Does any school accept applicants without interviewing first ?

2. Walking away from an interview - how do you know to judge your performance ?

Wow, you got an interview at Harvard! I'd be hyper if I were you. UMich is silly - they only took 2 people this year, so even if you were the 3rd most awesome of the lot, you're still out. Not much of a bummer other than the wasted money :D

Yes -- I got two offers where the acceptance letter was the first contact I'd ever had with the program (aside from the application itself of course).

Yes -- I got two offers where the acceptance letter was the first contact I'd ever had with the program (aside from the application itself of course).

socialpsych, did you have better luck with acceptances to business programs or social psych programs?

Edited by alexis

First off, congrats on the Harvard interview! Did you get flown out or was it over the phone?

Based on the results page, I'm fairly sure Yale accepts and then has their visit weekend afterward. That's the only one I know of, though I'm sure there are more.

Ohio State does this. They have a recruitment weekend in mid-February where accepted applicants come meet the faculty, tour the labs, etc. That's the only one I know.

I realize this doesn't help you since you didn't apply there, but maybe it will help someone else. Congrats on Harvard!

Edited by jordy