Applying to Programs with LOW GRE score - HELP

book2readme

I'm applying to Johns Hopkins, Northwestern University, Mt Sinai, Baylor College of Medicine and UC Davis. 

I currently have a horrible GRE score. I did not have a chance to study for it (collectively a week), but I had to apply this cycle given the fact that I'm in a research program that requires that I apply. I wanted to apply for MSTP programs next year, but my program advisor told me that I had to apply this year in order to receive funding until July of next year, so I took the GRE just in time for them to be received at the schools I'm applying to: 

V 150

Q 144

A 3.0

Do I have a chance? Any advice or support is appreciated. Thanks 

EDUCATION            

08/2006 - 05/2008       Tuskegee University (Tuskegee, Alabama ) GPA: 3.89

Major: Biology and Nutritional Science

08/2008 - 12/2012       Auburn University (Auburn, Alabama)

BS in Biomedical Sciences, BA in Spanish    GPA: 3.43

Honors Thesis (2012): Immobilized transition metal complexes as

macromolecular catalysts.

ACHIEVEMENTS

2013 - 2014                 U.S. Fulbright Scholar Program, Chemistry (Barcelona, Spain)

2015 - Present            Hopkins PREP Scholar, NIH-funded Post-baccalaureate Research

Education Program, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

AWARDS

2008                            Bill Ellard Memorial Endowed Scholarship, Auburn University

2008                            Thomas G. Jones Scholarship, Auburn University

2010                            American Chemical Society’s Regional Conference Travel Grant

2010                            Dean’s Research Award for Undergraduates, Auburn University

2011-2012                   COSAM Undergraduate Research Fellowship, Auburn University

PUBLICATIONS

2010                Gichinga MG, Striegler S*, Dunaway NA and Barnett JD, Miniemulsion polymers as solid support for transition metal catalysts, Polymer 2010, 51, 606-615.

Striegler S,* Dunaway NA, Gichinga MG, Barnett JD and Nelson AG, Evaluating binuclear copper(II) complexes for glycoside hydrolysis, Inorg. Chem. 2010, 49, 2639- 2648.

2012                Dunaway NA, Barnett JD and Striegler S*, Glycoside hydrolysis with sugar-templated microgel catalysts, ACS Catalysis 2012, 2, 50-55.   

Barnett JD, and Striegler S*, Tuning templated microgel catalysts for selective glycoside hydrolysis,  Topics in Catalysis 2012, 55(7) , 460-465.

2014                Fan QH, Striegler S*, Langston RG and Barnett JD, Evaluating N-benzylgalactonoamidines as putative transition state analogs for β-galactoside hydrolysis,  Org. Biomol. Chem. 2014, 12(17) 2792-2800

2016                Korangath P, Barnett JD, et al., Nanoparticles and their targeting: a study in preclinical models of HER+ breast cancer, (manuscript in preparation)

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:

05/2008 - 07/2008       Undergraduate Molecular Biology & Immunology Researcher (UNT Health Science Center)

Research Topic: Abundant expression of novel gene C17orf37 in prostate cancer

2009 - 2012                 Undergraduate Inorganic Chemistry Researcher (Auburn University)

Topic: Analysis of transition metal complexes as macromolecular catalysts                      

02/2013 - 08/2013       Chemistry Research Associate (University of Arkansas: Fayetteville)

Topic: Preparation and evaluation of polymer matrices for asymmetric catalysis

09/2013 - 08/2014       Fulbright Scholar (University of Barcelona)

Topic: Synthesis and characterization of photoactivatable DNA-cleaving copper complexes

07/2015 - Present      PREP Scholar (Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine)

Topic: Effects of magnetic nanoparticle-mediated hyperthermia on DNA damage repair pathways in colorectal cancer cells

POSTERS & PRESENTATIONS    

7/24/2008        Barnett JD. Novel gene C17orf37 is abundantly expressed in prostate cancer:

a prospective biomarker.

Poster; Univ. North Texas Health Science Center (Fort Worth, TX)

02/19/2010      Dunaway NA, Barnett JD and Striegler S. Carbohydrate recognition by binuclear

platinum complexes. Poster; Auburn University (Dept. Chemistry and Biochemistry)

12/3/2010        Barnett JD, Alonso NA, and Striegler S. Sugar discrimination by binuclear copper(II)

complexes. Poster. 66th Southwest and 62nd Southeastern Regional Meeting of the

American Chemical Society. (New Orleans, LA)

03/30/2012      Barnett JD and Striegler S. Transition metal complexes as macromolecular catalysts.

Poster. 26th National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) (Ogden,UT)

10/22/2015     Barnett JD. Effects of nanoparticles and nanoparticle-Induced hyperthermia on DNA

Signaling Pathways in human colorectal cancer cells.

Poster. Dept. Molecular Radiation Sciences, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer

Center, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (Baltimore MD).

04/13/2016     Barnett JD, Sharma A, Bunz F and Ivkov R. Effects of magnetic nanoparticle-induced

hyperthermia on DNA damage signaling.

Oral presentation. 2016 Int’l Congress of Hyperthermic Oncology (New Orleans, LA)

Your research experience on paper is pretty incredible, and getting the Fulbright is no joke either.

Your GRE scores are obviously not representative of your ability as a whole, especially given the circumstances you mentioned. Is it possible one of your rec letter writers is in academia and can attest to the fact that your GRE score is not representative of your academic ability? They could mention the circumstances that led to the low score too (last minute test-taking, etc.), if they're willing.

I know you can use your essays to mention outstanding circumstances, but I'm not sure that's the appropriate place to bring this up...perhaps someone else has a better answer.

If you apply to programs that use GRE as an initial filter, sad to say that you may not make the cutline. If you get past that initial screen, though, you have a great list of credentials so a good SOP and letters of recommendation could offset the GRE scores.Hopefully the schools you listed don't filter you out...

Interesting mix of schools - how did you decide which to apply for? 

I have GRE scores similar to yours but got a perfect on the analytical writing portion. I've applied to about 15 programs so far and counting. 

Two days ago I got invited to an interview for a PhD program at Johns Hopkins in science. I would encourage you to apply to a broad range of schools, think about the fact that if you do the PhD then MD it will probably be the same amount of time. I am doing the PhD (4 years) then MD (choosing a 3 year from PhD to MD program). Most MSTP programs only accept like 10 people and on top of that take 8-9 years anyway with Harvard being like 10 years. 

My advice is to apply to 10-20 schools (including top programs), get letters of recommendation commenting on research. Talk about your research in SOP and have a clear focus on what you want to focus on (for me it was cancer). I did Fulbright and was a finalist for the Rhodes scholarship. Ultimately I think what helped me was choosing 4 different departments to consider me on the JH application, clearly highlighting my awards, emailing a few professors for info, and just submitting everything on time. I also applied for broad range, so I'd recommend also doing multiple programs at one school (for example you could apply to Biomed and Immun at Harvard vs. just Biomed sciences). 

Basically you can still get into a top school, but you need to broaden your range so you don't end up in piles that reject just based on score alone (this may even differ from department to department at the same school!). 

Yeah, theyre not great (maybe try it again), but the GRE is not the end all be all nowadays. You can still be admitted to top programs with low GRE scores. Being admitted to grad school is all about how you package and sell yourself; so highlight your strengths to the point that your weaknesses don't matter. I'm familiar with the PREP program and that experience alone is very significant. Focus on that and your research experience because that is what all schools undoubtedly value. Graduate programs put a large weight on the quality of your research experience. 

So I got a 2nd invite from Johns Hopkins today - so I think test scores aren't end all be all for that school...with that said I did have a masters and undergrad from top 5  so maybe they overlooked the very low quant... You can check my signature to see how I end up doing later with similar GRE scores... i did have a recc from distinguished professors and department heads of physics and public health (2) and 2 others were PIs on research

Anyways, I will say for MCATs you do need a high score and I would recommend setting aside a at the very least 6 months of study (3 months full time study) if you plan on doing PhD/MD programs because they are not forgiving with low MCAT scores, from what I understand, but check around. 

But for PhDs i think it's about focusing on your research and getting strong letters of recommendation - don't stress over things you cant change...from recommendations, try to have at least 1 or 2 with high up titles... a department head saying you're prepared in the sciences says a lot and I'm sure will trump a low score on gre...

3 hours ago, kindsoul101 said:

So I got a 2nd invite from Johns Hopkins today - so I think test scores aren't end all be all for that school...with that said I did have a masters and undergrad from top 5  so maybe they overlooked the very low quant... You can check my signature to see how I end up doing later with similar GRE scores... i did have a recc from distinguished professors and department heads of physics and public health (2) and 2 others were PIs on research

Anyways, I will say for MCATs you do need a high score and I would recommend setting aside a at the very least 6 months of study (3 months full time study) if you plan on doing PhD/MD programs because they are not forgiving with low MCAT scores, from what I understand, but check around. 

But for PhDs i think it's about focusing on your research and getting strong letters of recommendation - don't stress over things you cant change...from recommendations, try to have at least 1 or 2 with high up titles... a department head saying you're prepared in the sciences says a lot and I'm sure will trump a low score on gre...

Yeah, definitely. The MCAT score would have to be fairly high. That's why I wanted to study for a few months before taking the exam. 

My stats are 3.95 GPA, McNair and University Honors scholar. Undergraduate Honors thesis with GRE scores of 156 V, 136 Q and AW 3. I applied to a mix of 9 PhD programs. Got two interviews on same day (Dec 22). Point is... Apply!, your stats are amazing. I think you should Apply.

Edited by johnallen

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2016 at 5:31 PM, johnallen said:

My stats are 3.95 GPA, McNair and University Honors scholar. Undergraduate Honors thesis with GRE scores of 156 V, 136 Q and AW 3. I applied to a mix of 9 PhD programs. Got two interviews on same day (Dec 22). Point is... Apply!, your stats are amazing. I think you should Apply.

Wow, what programs did you apply to?

Interview

U of Nebraska Lincoln - Global Family Health and Wellbeing Jan 27th

U of Minnesota Family Social Science Feb5th

Applied but no response

Virginia Commonwealth and Kent State-both Health psychology

Ohio state,  and U of Missouri and Iowa Social psychology

Northwestern human dev and social policy

Penn state human dev and family studies

• 2 weeks later...