Fall 2010 Admission Results

Hm, I can't see them letting in many more people. I mean, if they are shooting for a class of 12-15, they must only let in 20, and 5 of those have been claimed on the board. I dunno, maybe I'm underestimating the influence of this forum, but do more than 1/4 of applicants post their results?

Either way, I'm super curious about the political analyst with the 2.99 and sub-600 GREs.

I'm sad that what you said totally makes sense...I guess I just want it so badly, lol.

cpaige, any idea when we're supposed to hear something official about the MAs? Ideally decisions will go out for everyone including those this week. I'm just so anxious and I don't want to start the "Yalebration" quite yet...

Why would you hear with the political science applicants? Based on what you've said they are merely forwarding your application materials to another department, no?

True. Georgetown is notorious for offering lots of acceptances but very little in the way of funding. This can, of course, be negotiated (from what I've heard) if you have other offers.

Ugh, I just read on Georgetown's website that they accept 27 comparative students whereas they only fund 2! Meh...

http://government.georgetown.edu/57323.html

Yay another Madison buddy! Are you going to the recruitment "weekend" (which is actually on a Thursday and Friday)?

Congrats to you both!

Nervouscomparitivist- it must feel nice not to have to be nervous anymore since you now have an accept in hand for a great program!

True. Georgetown is notorious for offering lots of acceptances but very little in the way of funding. This can, of course, be negotiated (from what I've heard) if you have other offers.

How the heck is someone supposed to attend Georgetown without funding? Total cost of attendance is 60k/year!!!

http://finaid.georgetown.edu/coagrad.htm

Edited by Dialogue

Congratulations to everyone who has already heard back from some great schools. Thought I would take the opportunity to de-lurk, given how helpful this board is in managing the ridiculous angst of waiting...on the Poli Sci PhD front I applied to Berkeley, MIT, Michigan and Stanford (IR). I assume Stanford is a big no, but that isn't really surprising given I knew I was a bad fit for the faculty. I've also applied to non-Poli Sci programs Kennedy, Woodrow Wilson, and Yale.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

Even for 'unfunded' students Georgetown will waive tuition. But you still need to pay all the living expenses without a stipend, which can add up - DC is not a cheap town.

How the heck is someone supposed to attend Georgetown without funding? Total cost of attendance is 60k/year!!!

http://finaid.georgetown.edu/coagrad.htm

Minnesota just sent this:

"Our admissions committee wasn't able to schedule a meeting

until the very end of February, so we expect to have our

admissions decisions out in the first few days of March."

Minnesota just sent this:

"Our admissions committee wasn't able to schedule a meeting

wow trmcummi, can't believe you beat me to posting that one.

Wow congrats on your three acceptances! Looks like you're in pretty good shape :)

Thanks! I was surprised at how early they got back to me, but I certainly won't complain :) Good luck to everyone

Hey, just thought I would stop lurking (sort of). I'd rather not post too many details before admissions decisions are in. I'm a little superstitious I guess and worried I'll jinx it. I didn't really do the whole safety school thing. My topic is a bit specific so I just chose best fit. That may mean that I have to reapply, but I actually don't really regret it.

I applied to Princeton, Toronto, and Berkeley. I'm also applying to a Masters program at UNC, so we will see.

Just thought I should say hi, since I use this website daily to work myself up about admissions decisions.

Good luck everybody!!

Anyone have any good ideas (besides homework) for ways to pass the time? I'm two cups of coffee in and this entire process is making me crazy.

Try to learn an instrument! And to echo cpaige, I got a letter from Wisconsin and they still haven't gotten around to changing my online status, so they might not be done yet.

I'm gearing up to hear 3 big nos in 2 weeks. Last year it looks like Princeton notified admits on Feb 19 and rejects on Feb 20 and Harvard was around the same timeline. I also got a letter from UCL saying I could expect to hear by Feb 19. So I just want that day to come and get 3 out of the way.

I got an email from Minnesota this morning:

"Hi,

Our admissions committee wasn't able to schedule a meeting

--I saw the same post on the other page, but I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Sorry, guys...

Edited by M.Y

I know that some schools call if you're accepted, but if they try to call and you don't answer, will they email? I ask just because I'll be away for most of this month (Egypt and Sri Lanka, yay! Nothing like a vacation to take my mind off applications, hopefully!) and my phone won't be working in those countries...so it would be super nice to get email notification too.

Not that I'm expecting too many acceptances...one would be awesome, basically :)

Also, congrats to everyone who got good news today!

Edited by michal

Yeah, the fact that the AdComm knows who it's taking/not-taking already indicates that they could call who they've admitted. P.s. congrats to those offered the funded MA at Yale, that's really impressive. p.p.s. why didn't Yale choose to WL? p.p.p.s. anyone try calling the admissions offices for decisions?

did anyone try calling the admissions office?

ah the anxiety...

I got an email from Minnesota this morning:

"Hi,

Our admissions committee wasn't able to schedule a meeting

--I saw the same post on the other page, but I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Sorry, guys...

I got the same e-mail. Really MN? That long?

I'm wondering if some people got a different version of this, as apparently some people got the "we need that letter because you are considered for a fellowship" versus "we need it". Which raises the question: if they already decided who was up for fellowships last month, why are the leading everyone else on?

I got the same e-mail. Really MN? That long?

I'm wondering if some people got a different version of this, as apparently some people got the "we need that letter because you are considered for a fellowship" versus "we need it". Which raises the question: if they already decided who was up for fellowships last month, why are the leading everyone else on?

I don't know; I only know that admission process is by no means rational or understandable. Also, the person who said that he/she got the "fellowship" email from the graduate division, but we got "missing letter" email from Judith. I'm guessing it's the same problem occuring in different stages, and in fact most people should be able to be nominated for fellowships, shouldn't they? Oh well, I'm just guessing.