Fall 2010 Admission Results

I don't know; I only know that admission process is by no means rational or understandable. Also, the person who said that he/she got the "fellowship" email from the graduate division, but we got "missing letter" email from Judith. I'm guessing it's the same problem occuring in different stages, and in fact most people should be able to be nominated for fellowships, shouldn't they? Oh well, I'm just guessing.

I think the department has to recommend you for a fellowship, which means the dept has already decided.

I got the same e-mail. Really MN? That long?

I'm wondering if some people got a different version of this, as apparently some people got the "we need that letter because you are considered for a fellowship" versus "we need it". Which raises the question: if they already decided who was up for fellowships last month, why are the leading everyone else on?

I don't know; I only know that admission process is by no means rational or understandable. Also, the person who said that he/she got the "fellowship" email from the graduate division, but we got "missing letter" email from Judith. I'm guessing it's the same problem occuring in different stages, and in fact most people should be able to be nominated for fellowships, shouldn't they? Oh well, I'm just guessing.

Hey, I also got the mass email, and my "we need a letter for fellowship..." email was from Judith. So, I would say that they honestly haven't even really begun yet.

But, here's to good news for everyone!

Edited by HarrisonWinslow

Hey guys, just wanted to pop out and say hello and best of luck to everybody. I am applying in IR to a bunch of schools: NYU, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern, Minnesota, Michigan, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, along with a couple masters' programs in the UK. Top 3 LAC, pretty good grades, so-so gres, fair amount of research experience, focused SOP, etc. I know I don't really have safeties on my list, but if admissions don't work out, I'll take it as a sign that I'm better suited for something else.

To whoever suggested vacationing as a way to divert your attentions, I can concur. I have been on a couple fun trips since I turned in my applications and it's a great way to get your mind off obsessing over results. That said, unfortunately, email access is near universal and I still haven't found a solution to the frequent and nervous email checks...

I just got an e-mail about ten minutes ago from a Florida State University professor within my subfield letting me know that I was admitted to the program with funding! Excerpt:

"The award letter will offer you a package valued at approximately $43,500 for the 2010-2011 academic year (see the attached electronic copy of the letter). You can expect funding for a total of five years provided you make normal progress in the program each semester. This award provides a tuition waiver each term and a stipend of $20,500. You will be appointed to work with a faculty member as a graduate assistant and paid $17,000 during the 9 month academic year in addition to the tuition waiver. After successful completion of your first year coursework, you will be provided a $3,500 summer stipend and a tuition waiver. In addition to the waiver and stipend, we provide support for travel to present research at a professional conference each year, an office in the department, and access to top notch computer and experimental research labs "

I also received an email from FSU today informing me of my admission with funding. The offer seems identical. I counted FSU as my safety school and the offer is pretty generous.

Hey, I also got the mass email, and my "we need a letter for fellowship..." email was from Judith. So, I would say that they honestly haven't even really begun yet.

But, here's to good news for everyone!

Perhaps you are right, and for my sake I hope you are. But I honestly don't know why they would send some of the missing letter people mention of fellowship while not others if they hadn't looked at the apps. There would be no way to do that.

Since my current Fall 2009 grades were announced recently and my GPA got better, I wanted to update my file by e-mailing schools my unofficial transcript. When I told this to Northwestern, they sent me this reply:

"Unfortunately our admissions process is now completed; our committee has already reviewed

all files. If you are offered admission, we will be in touch to collect the updated

transcript information. Best of luck"

Since my current Fall 2009 grades were announced recently and my GPA got better, I wanted to update my file by e-mailing schools my unofficial transcript. When I told this to Northwestern, they sent me this reply:

"Unfortunately our admissions process is now completed; our committee has already reviewed

all files. If you are offered admission, we will be in touch to collect the updated

transcript information. Best of luck"

I sent an email to Stanford in early January, saying that if I could update my transcript. I received a response saying that my file had been reviewed, so there was no need to do so. I was shocked at that time, since I was thinking, "my file had been reviewed? no more information needed? Well, I was rejected in the first stage." However, I really didn't know how to interpret the message, and decided to let it go...

I also received an email from FSU today informing me of my admission with funding. The offer seems identical. I counted FSU as my safety school and the offer is pretty generous.

Congrats! I'm actually surprised how generous FSU's offer is, the university is having pretty bad budgetary problems (though who isn't, lol).

Congrats! I'm actually surprised how generous FSU's offer is, the university is having pretty bad budgetary problems (though who isn't, lol).

Thanks! I agree. This offer and UIUC's have been more than I expected from either school. I hadn't heard about FSU's financial trouble, but all the talk of UIUC's problems had me very worried. Maybe schools are just limiting their incoming cohorts instead of reducing funding?

wow congrats to whoever the Harvard acceptance! I didn't realize they're sending out such early notices.

btw, for the person who emailed Stanford for the status update, did you email the polisci dept or graduate admissions?

The department.

Thanks! I agree. This offer and UIUC's have been more than I expected from either school. I hadn't heard about FSU's financial trouble, but all the talk of UIUC's problems had me very worried. Maybe schools are just limiting their incoming cohorts instead of reducing funding?

I have heard this rumor from many sources. FSU is not as bad as Florida, a school that is firing tenured faculty, but all state schools in Florida are in bad shape with professors leaving if given the opportunity. It is not as bad as the mass exodus from California schools, but it is something to consider when making a decision.

As far as schools limiting their incoming class, I have been told that some programs like Ohio State are not admitting any new students unless they receive graduate school funding. I was told this in October, so that policy might have changed by now.

I have heard this rumor from many sources. FSU is not as bad as Florida, a school that is firing tenured faculty, but all state schools in Florida are in bad shape with professors leaving if given the opportunity. It is not as bad as the mass exodus from California schools, but it is something to consider when making a decision.

As far as schools limiting their incoming class, I have been told that some programs like Ohio State are not admitting any new students unless they receive graduate school funding. I was told this in October, so that policy might have changed by now.

"Mass exodus from California schools"? I can really only speak of the two programs I know best, Berkeley and UCSD, but who exactly has left in this mass exodus? Berkeley is supported by an endowment along with university funds, and they made a new hire last fall. UCSD remains a thriving young program with some of the best professors in the country. True, California is going through some tough times balancing its budget, but the political science departments at these UC schools are much better off than you would think.

Edited by rc47

"Mass exodus from California schools"? I can really only speak of the two programs I know best, Berkeley and UCSD, but who exactly has left in this mass exodus? Berkeley is supported by an endowment along with university funds, and they made a new hire last fall. UCSD remains a thriving young program with some of the best professors in the country. True, California is going through some tough times balancing its budget, but the political science departments at these UC schools are much better off than you would think.

Agreed on all accounts. UCSD graduate programs have been given the same budgets as last year for recruiting new graduate students and have also green-lighted a 7% cost-of-living adjustment. These programs are well protected and the professors are going no where.