Fall 2010 Admission Results

Damn. Around 5 % acceptance rate.

This process is getting more and more like a lottery! And I have terrible luck!

And they say on their website that all people accepted to PhD are offered full funding. So last year, they did not accept anyone to the phd in order to avoid the legal issues, right?

Well curufinwe, if the dept. gets a bit over 100 applicants, that means maybe 25 applied to each of the four subfields, rendering your chances a bit better. However, Scarlet might have better info on how the subfield application numbers break down.

Nope. MIT is strong in qualitative methods and they aren't particularly amazing in quantitative methods and formal theory.

MIT will notify next week - its definitely a top choice of mine.

Is anyone waiting to hear from Canadian schools? I decided to apply to one program up north.

So seems like we're entering the penultimate week of "high season" for the admissions cycle. Perhaps some rejection, waitlist notices, and (at a few schools) acceptances will be sent out second week of March, but it seems like the last week of Feb will be the next-to-last BIG week. It seems that based on forecasting from the info we've collected and/or last year's patterns, we should hear this week from:

MIT (acceptances only?)

Notre Dame (unless they're really finished, which I doubt)

Harvard (best of luck to those who applied!)

More from Columbia?

UCLA (can't imagine this weekend covered all admits...)

Anyhow, it shouldn't be a week that fails to stress us out, lol (sorry about the double negative wink.gif )

Definitely am rooting for everyone here, including the people competing against me. If this board has helped reassure me of anything, it's that if I don't get a spot at my remaining schools (and thinking, too, about the ones that have already rejected me...), I at least have the peace of mind that (with only a few exceptions) there will be some friendly and no doubt very bright students who will be attending these various institutions. Again, best of luck to all!

Well curufinwe, if the dept. gets a bit over 100 applicants, that means maybe 25 applied to each of the four subfields, rendering your chances a bit better. However, Scarlet might have better info on how the subfield application numbers break down.

Last year, 75 applied overall. Assuming this year's numbers increased, by sub-field, we have around 20% chance.

I'm Comparative. What about you guys?

So seems like we're entering the penultimate week of "high season" for the admissions cycle. Perhaps some rejection, waitlist notices, and (at a few schools) acceptances will be sent out second week of March, but it seems like the last week of Feb will be the next-to-last BIG week. It seems that based on forecasting from the info we've collected and/or last year's patterns, we should hear this week from:

MIT (acceptances only?)

More from Columbia?

Anyhow, it shouldn't be a week that fails to stress us out, lol (sorry about the double negative wink.gif )

Definitely am rooting for everyone here, including the people competing against me. If this board has helped reassure me of anything, it's that if I don't get a spot at my remaining schools (and thinking, too, about the ones that have already rejected me...), I at least have the peace of mind that (with only a few exceptions) there will be some friendly and no doubt very bright students who will be attending these various institutions. Again, best of luck to all!

Yes, it would be interesting to know if Notre Dame is done; I predict they'll meet this week one more time, and then c'est fini (I was told a final decision would be distributed to me by month's end).

My sense, based on past years' results, is that Columbia is done accepting.

The importance of these next two weeks is weighing on me. From the results pages, it seems like nearly all of the remaining acceptances will go out before the second week of March sad.gif. Good luck to everyone on here, and congratulations to those who already have some acceptances! I can only imagine what the stress level will be NEXT Sunday.

MIT (acceptances only?)

More from Columbia?

Why do I always find your posts very soothing to read? :)

It seems that based on forecasting from the info we've collected and/or last year's patterns, we should hear this week from:

MIT (acceptances only?)

More from Columbia?

what happened to Cornell?:huh:

I'm in at Uwash. Mass email around 11 am Seattle time. They are putting funding packages together... Pretty excited but now I have to actually decide between schools by April. I was hoping to not to have to be in this position but I guess I can't complain :)

Congrats! Man I was hoping to get in there. Really odd that they were working at 11am on a Sunday, no?

Edited by anxiousmike

Congrats! Man I was hoping to get in there. Really odd that they were working at 11am on a Sunday, no?

Thanks! Yeah, was not expecting a weekend update at all. I'm in comparative so its possible they are going by subfield. And I think the waitlist should come out soon. Good luck to you!

Also- JollyWag, are you going to the visit days? I'm not sure if I can make it out at that time...

Edited by thatsnotmyname

Why would ND be "done?" Hasn't only one person claimed a decision so far?

There is also another acceptance listed on the results page, and only three people posted acceptances last year. But I agree; I think there will be a few more acceptances, though one theory acceptance has already been claimed.

Thanks! Yeah, was not expecting a weekend update at all. I'm in comparative so its possible they are going by subfield. And I think the waitlist should come out soon. Good luck to you!

Also- JollyWag, are you going to the visit days? I'm not sure if I can make it out at that time...

also in at UW, pretty surprised to hear the decision now because it's Sunday. it says the funding package will come in three weeks. But I didn't see anything about visit week :blink:

btw, I study comparative politics.

Good luck to everyone else!! It really a good news to start a new week!

what happened to Cornell?:huh:

Thanks, APGradApplicant, for the nice summary and the weekly forecast :). But I would like to second that question (it has been brought up at least three or four times already): anyone know anything about Cornell?

Thanks, APGradApplicant, for the nice summary and the weekly forecast smile.gif. But I would like to second that question (it has been brought up at least three or four times already): anyone know anything about Cornell?

Unless I'm imagining things, I remember several Cornell applicants inquiring to the grad secretary about when the department might send out decisions, and it sounds like the first or second week of March is the expectation (which is a departure from last year). Ditto for Minnesota. Last year they did acceptances (and even some rejections I believe) during the final week of Feb, whereas this year they're sending decisions, in the words of Judith M (who all of us applicants have gotten e-mails from) "during the first few days of March". So yeah, my impression is that neither Cornell nor UMN should be expected this week...

also in at UW, pretty surprised to hear the decision now because it's Sunday. it says the funding package will come in three weeks. But I didn't see anything about visit week :blink:

btw, I study comparative politics.

Good luck to everyone else!! It really a good news to start a new week!

Congratulations to all of the UW admits. I haven't heard anything yet....Unfortunately I think we all know what that means.