Fall 2010 Admission Results

Congrats on JHU frosted - thats a realy great program. is it your top choice? when is visitation weekend? and any word on what the stipend is this year?

Thanks readeatsleep - I'm very excited about it. Chicago, Duke and Harvard were my top places; I'm guessing it will come down to Columbia and JHU for me, and I feel very lucky to have that choice. The email indicated that a package was on the way with further information, which I hope will address the items you mentioned.

To those still waiting on UCLA, I emailed Joseph Brown asking about my status and got this response:

The admission process is ongoing but will let you know within the next few weeks.

That's not really what I expected (I kind of just wanted to confirm my rejection). I guess it means a "few more weeks" of uncertainty.

thz u guys for the info..cuz i'm an international student and not sure if they all notify by email or regular mail...

i emailed st louis, then the response was like 'mails were sent a couple of weeks ago..'

and the graduate secretary just attached me a letter of no acceptance..

but it's ok, i juz need a fml rejection..

Also, does anybody want to claim the UMN acceptance listed in the results database? Please don't let yesterday's incident make you think that you're going to get it rescinded or something if you claim it on GradCafe. It would just be helpful to those of us who applied to know whether the admits have already been sent out and if we thus shouldn't have to worry this weekend...

I haven't been around the board for a few days, what is "yesterday's incident?"

I haven't been around the board for a few days, what is "yesterday's incident?"

APGradApplicant contacted one of the schools about when the decisions would come out and they responded. He copied and pasted the email here but then put his own comment right afterwards "have a good weekend applicants, I know I will!". The person at the school who had written him the email was here on grad cafe and thought that he was saying she had said "have a good weekend applicants, I know I will" when really it was just his own comment. It was just a misunderstanding but it got some people a little concerned...

amandaimeparis. Did you hear about funding from Rutgers yet? Where else have you been accepted? I don't want to be by myself there = )

I haven't heard about funding yet--I called the office yesterday but I am assuming they were digging out of the foot and a half of snow they just received, as no one returned the message I left.

I will most likely be attending anyway--I've been rejected everywhere else I applied thus far except for UConn (don't know about funding there yet either), and am only waiting on a few more schools. Rutgers was one of my top choices to begin with--I like the program, it's in-state tuition and commuting distance from home even if I don't get any funding the first year. My advisors and I feel it's worth going to the best school I get into even if I have to find external funding for the later years/wait a year to get a department fellowship and take out a small loan, as I have no debt from undergrad. So you will probably be seeing me in September!

I haven't heard about funding yet--I called the office yesterday but I am assuming they were digging out of the foot and a half of snow they just received, as no one returned the message I left.

I will most likely be attending anyway--I've been rejected everywhere else I applied thus far except for UConn (don't know about funding there yet either), and am only waiting on a few more schools. Rutgers was one of my top choices to begin with--I like the program, it's in-state tuition and commuting distance from home even if I don't get any funding the first year. My advisors and I feel it's worth going to the best school I get into even if I have to find external funding for the later years/wait a year to get a department fellowship and take out a small loan, as I have no debt from undergrad. So you will probably be seeing me in September!

Yay! I talked to the Vice Chair when I went to visit and he said they are doing a lot more grant writing and getting students on board so that they get part of the grant. I also heard from one of the students that after the first year, if you want to teach you usually can and they pay pretty well per class.

I just found out that I got into the Yale MA program! It's an unofficial notification, so I don't know what funding will be like.

So now I have a tough decision to make.

Congrats! That will definitely be a difficult decision. In my opinion it would all come down to funding. Yale would be hard to turn down if you got funding but the debt might not be worth it otherwise (especially with offers from 2 great programs).

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to wait to see what the funding situation is like. I also need to see whether I get off the waitlist at Chicago, since I would go there in a heartbeat.

Also: just found out that I was waitlisted at UNC. I also found out that Chris Reynolds is actually ChrisTINE Reynolds. Oops!

Haha, I made that same mistake as well in a couple emails before I realized. I'm sure she deals with a lot though.

So, for the sake of clarity, did Minnesota or Johns Hopkins notify en masse, or were those posted notifications yesterday isolated, individual notifications? (I know that it is AP's job to sound this horn, but, it has come down to crunch time for many of us...)

Unclear at this point about JHU. My understanding with Minnesota is that only a few individual applicants, all of whom were accepted, were notified for various reasons, either because they were offered a special fellowship or currenty attend the university as an undergraduate and thus have friendly relationships with professors on the admissions committee. These notifications were all either earlier this week or before. The two posted for yesterday remain unclaimed and appear to me to be likely trolls just trying to mess with UMN applicants' heads. If you scroll back through posts from the last few days, it seems that UMN faculty/staff, along with some at other universities, are aware of the way that any decision (good or bad) has a very good chance of being posted on GradCafe and thus my theory is that, similar to UCSD and UT-Austin, UMN is going to send all of its decisions out on Monday, whether people are accepted, rejected or wait listed. We shall see, but I'm pretty sure that will be the case, as we know that everyone will be notified by Monday.

Edited by APGradApplicant

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to wait to see what the funding situation is like. I also need to see whether I get off the waitlist at Chicago, since I would go there in a heartbeat.

Also: just found out that I was waitlisted at UNC. I also found out that Chris Reynolds is actually ChrisTINE Reynolds. Oops!

Is it very typical for students enrolled in a terminal MA program to receive funding?

Unclear at this point about JHU. My understanding with Minnesota is that only a few individual applicants, all of whom were accepted, were notified for various reasons, either because they were offered a special fellowship or currenty attend the university as an undergraduate and thus have friendly relationships with professors on the admissions committee. These notifications, were all either earlier this week or before. The two posted for yesterday remain unclaimed and appear to me to be likely trolls just trying to mess with UMN applicants' heads. If you scroll back through posts from the last few days, it seems that UMN faculty/staff, along with some at other universities, are aware of the way that any decision (good or bad) has a very good chance of being posted on GradCafe and thus my theory is that, similar to UCSD and UT-Austin, UMN is going to send all of its decisions out on Monday, whether people are accepted, rejected or wait listed. We shall see, but I'm pretty sure that will be the case, as we know that everyone will be notified by Monday.

Thank you AP for keeping me up-to-date. I hope we all not only hear on Monday, but hear great news on Monday. :D

Thank you AP for keeping me up-to-date. I hope we all not only hear on Monday, but hear great news on Monday. biggrin.gif

No problem. Glad to be of help and yes, let's definitely hope for good news for all of us on Monday! I don't want to stray from the admissions results topic, but hopefully I'll see you Wednesday evening/Thursday morning at UC-Davis?