Fall 2010 Admission Results

Ok I'm gonna ask because I am too curious. Is she the one who posted personal info on there and got stalked and I think at some point there was a car accident?

I am quite curious about the so called de facto rejections. How do you know that, dear. i just have not heared from them. For NYU, in their websites, they said the mail of admission will be sent to you by mid or late March. Does that implies that we cannot hear from NYU until then? Or people may receice email notice before the formal mail? Totally messed up.

I am quite curious about the so called de facto rejections. How do you know that, dear. i just have not heared from them. For NYU, in their websites, they said the mail of admission will be sent to you by mid or late March. Does that implies that we cannot hear from NYU until then? Or people may receice email notice before the formal mail? Totally messed up.

I only received an official rejection from UT Austin. And for Northwestern, I personally e-mailed Will Reno and learned (unofficially) that I was rejected. For the others, I have not been officially rejected. But, since people received their acceptance e-mails at a certain time and a certain day not only this year but in recent years as well, and people who hadn't been notified at that specific time were very rarely accepted at a later time... This, although unofficially, insinuates that I did not get an acceptance. Hence, de facto.

hi everyone. i was accepted to georgetown IR but with no funding. it is a great program and i would love to go there. but i wanted to ask everyone here what they think about taking out loans to go get a phd. is it worth it? should i try and apply another year?

You need to consider this *very* seriously. A phd takes years. In your instance, years at an expensive school in an expensive place (DC/Vir/Mar). Most people will tell you to defer from attending unfunded, and there is merit in the warning. There is pretty good research to the fact that those going to grad school will never make up the financial time/ground lost had they foregone grad school and simply taken a job. If you take out loans, you're setting yourself up for a long road to anywhere secure. This all depends, however, on your own financial situation. If you're minted, there are no worries, although it would be nice to be funded. If you need to take loans for all things considered; tuition, housing, general living, you should probably consider other options. Finally, you might consider this as well; funding offers typically go to the depts most desired students. If you go into it without funding there is little to guarantee you that there will ever be funding in the future.

Edited by PeaceDoc

They rejected a few at 2:59 am EST last Friday, then some more at 2:59 am EST on Saturday (including me). Maybe they're rejecting as they accepted (by subfield).

may I ask what subfield are you in?

Hello Everyone

Just got my e-mail saying I got in / Georgetown gov. I applied to the international law and global security M.A.(full-time) . So has anyone heard anything about funding ? I even checked online for the program costs but I couldn`t find it , but since I`m international from BRazil and besides not being able able to get a loan in the US the currency does not help, so I need funding ... socorro !

Boa sorte para todos !

may I ask what subfield are you in?

Theory

Just got my e-mail saying I got in / Georgetown gov. I applied to the international law and global security M.A.(full-time) . So has anyone heard anything about funding ? I even checked online for the program costs but I couldn`t find it , but since I`m international from BRazil and besides not being able able to get a loan in the US the currency does not help, so I need funding ... socorro !

Don't think GTown gives stipends to MA students, but I think I heard on this forum that they cover tuition?

So I am expecting to hear back from USC this week. From reading other posts and noticing the acceptance timelines of others, should I assume rejection? I noticed all POIR acceptances so far were via email at the end of Feb, however, there were only a small number.I'm DESPERATELY hoping that this was a first wave of admissions. There were people also rejected via email and I have not received an email. Do grad schools ever accept through mail?

I only received an official rejection from UT Austin. And for Northwestern, I personally e-mailed Will Reno and learned (unofficially) that I was rejected. For the others, I have not been officially rejected. But, since people received their acceptance e-mails at a certain time and a certain day not only this year but in recent years as well, and people who hadn't been notified at that specific time were very rarely accepted at a later time... This, although unofficially, insinuates that I did not get an acceptance. Hence, de facto.

Has anyone in this forum ever received the acceptance notification from Columbia or NYU? Is there a rule for the de facto rejection tradition in those two universities? Figure cross for my application!

Has anyone in this forum ever received the acceptance notification from Columbia or NYU? Is there a rule for the de facto rejection tradition in those two universities? Figure cross for my application!

I got the inofficial notification from NYU on February 9th, and the official letter (as attachment to an e-mail) at the end of February. One or two other forum members have claimed NYU acceptances, and several Columbia acceptances were claimed as well on this very thread.

I got admitted by Columbia some time ago, when the wave of acceptances came out.

Admitted students were asked to respond by last Friday whether they will be attending the Open house - this sounds like they are done with acceptances.

Then again - see discussion in 'Columbia' thread - it is not really clear what is going on in their department.

Edited by Yes

I got admitted by Columbia some time ago, when the wave of acceptances came out.

Admitted students were asked to respond by last Friday whether they will be attending the Open house - this sounds like they are done with acceptances.

Then again - see discussion in 'Columbia' thread - it is not really clear what is going on in their department.

Oh, thanks for your reply. Do you think it is the proper time for me to drop them an email for a final check? It was extremely sad to be rejected silently.But really appreciate your prompt reply.

Oh, thanks for your reply. Do you think it is the proper time for me to drop them an email for a final check? It was extremely sad to be rejected silently.But really appreciate your prompt reply.

Hehe, do not bother with the e-mail or even calls for that matter. They have a strict policy of "we don't care about you, losers", so they never reply.

Yes, why not - you have nothing to lose. I'd prefer certainty myself, so I would probably try to contact the department. I dont know if there was anyone waitlisted, so there might be hope. smile.gif

Be aware though that the department has been somewhat slow to respond...so it might take some time for them to get back to you. Maybe call?

If anyone is successful in actually having a conversation with a Columbia admissions person, I'd be very interested to know how you did it. I called the Political Science Dept. a while back and was told that admissions was handling everything. I then called admissions and was automatically transferred to a voicemail system. I left a message and haven't heard back.

Perhaps those of us who live a reasonable distance from NYC should just pay Columbia a visit in person? It's just common courtesy to let people know or at least be somewhat accessible via phone/email/whatever. Other departments are able to do it; why can't Columbia? We all paid an application fee, for Pete's sake.

As your application was likely not reviewed, it may be wise to go over the heads of the department and ask the graduate school directly for a formal refund of the application fee. My experience with people in NYC is that you have to be fairly demanding with them or they brush you off.