Fall 2010 Admission Results

Me too. So sad!!! Has anyone received notice from GWU, AU ?

There were a few AU rejections claimed in the forum. GWU sent out acceptances today (though all acceptances were without funding, so I am dreaming of a world in which GWU sends me an acceptance letter tomorrow with full funding.)

Edited by whistler

Congrats to the GWU admits!

I have to wonder, however, why these DC schools think they're such hot shit that they can admit students without funding and expect them to bend over and take a financial drubbing while virtually all other schools offer (in most cases) tuition and plus a stipend. And PS, coming from a person who lived in DC for a year and a half, it is NOT a cheap city.

Accepted to George Washington, but without funding! wink.gif

Looks like a mass email, "The department's admissions committee ranked close to 400 applications this year. The pool was one of the most competitive we have ever had. Our goal is a diverse class of about 15 top-notch students."

Congradulations! I have not receiced any news from it. is it PhD program????

Congrats to the GWU admits!

I have to wonder, however, why these DC schools think they're such hot shit that they can admit students without funding and expect them to bend over and take a financial drubbing while virtually all other schools offer (in most cases) tuition and plus a stipend. And PS, coming from a person who lived in DC for a year and a half, it is NOT a cheap city.

Pure market economics at play. They offer people unfunded PhD slots and they still take them. So, why not right? The market moves towards meeting demand.

There were a few AU rejections claimed in the forum. GWU sent out acceptances today (though all acceptances were without funding, so I am dreaming of a world in which GWU sends me an acceptance letter tomorrow with full funding.)

I extremely hope so. Keep figure crossed for all of us waiting for the result.

there is one thing I need to encounter , athough it is cruel, the rejection, which means I got nowhere to go. Have you anyone heard of any good programs who admit in the coming spring. I cannot wait for another year, staying with my parents and reapplying it. So would anybody like to figure out some spring program in this field. Hope what we get will deserve what we struggled, and fight for in the past.

best,

there is one thing I need to encounter , athough it is cruel, the rejection, which means I got nowhere to go. Have you anyone heard of any good programs who admit in the coming spring. I cannot wait for another year, staying with my parents and reapplying it. So would anybody like to figure out some spring program in this field. Hope what we get will deserve what we struggled, and fight for in the past.

best,

Forget grad school. If I were you I'd focus on my ability to write coherent English.

Edited by reader

Accepted to GWU without funding, too. Yeah, I will reject the offer to live in NYC and I will pay thousands of dollars to become a scholar :D lol.

And as usual, NYU official rejection. See, was that so hard to send, admissions office?

I am very pleased to see that you've taken such an interest in me. However, I wouldn't confuse "vague scholarship" with borderline functional illiteracy, as you so eloquently have.

Do you really think you're such an articulate writer that you have the right to criticize anyone else? No one envies or admires someone who puts others down. If you don't want to spend the rest of your life alone and bitter, I suggest you learn a little compassion for those you don't believe are on your "level."

For what it's worth--I have a friend at GW who was unfunded year 1 but then got funding year 2. But it's risky. Lots of people don't end up with funding. Some of his colleagues are funded though (I think he said something like 6-7 per year) and their funding is guaranteed for five years. Probably best to take the offer where funding is certain. It's surprising, though, that so many people do take unfunded offers. He said his incoming class had like 20 students (only 7 were funded).

Do you really think you're such an articulate writer that you have the right to criticize anyone else? No one envies or admires someone who puts others down. If you don't want to spend the rest of your life alone and bitter, I suggest you learn a little compassion for those you don't believe are on your "level."

That makes sense. And you didn't even have to take a shot at JHU to get your point across! Thanks for the lesson - I'll pipe down.

I extremely hope so. Keep figure crossed for all of us waiting for the result.

best,

I am waiting to hear from GW and USC. I already look at GW as a rejection and frankly speaking I am not very optimistic about USC. I think we can easily say no for spring admissions. Even if there are some, most probably they don't offer financial aid to spring admissions. I am not planning to apply again - I will try to find a job and apply after one or two years. There are way too many applicants, and well I guess I am not good enough. A short job experience might make me look better.

Don't get me wrong (well I am pretty much in the same situation), but if you get rejected in Fall 2010, I don't think you can easily find a placement in Spring 2011.

I just received an official acceptance from YALE's MA program (East Asian Studies). I was referred from PHD program. But it comes with no funding at all. If anyone on this forum that is being accepted to this program get any funding? :unsure:

For what it's worth--I have a friend at GW who was unfunded year 1 but then got funding year 2. But it's risky. Lots of people don't end up with funding. Some of his colleagues are funded though (I think he said something like 6-7 per year) and their funding is guaranteed for five years. Probably best to take the offer where funding is certain. It's surprising, though, that so many people do take unfunded offers. He said his incoming class had like 20 students (only 7 were funded).

This sounds exactly like the situation at Georgetown

On the contrary, I applaud Johns Hopkins for their wisdom in summarily declining your file. The fewer preening grammarians in academe (or online) the better!

While I understand the frustration towards online grammarians (though the post I criticized was indeed a complete wreck), I'm not sure why we ought to care less about grammar in academe. That's just a sad wish.

I am waiting to hear from GW and USC. I already look at GW as a rejection and frankly speaking I am not very optimistic about USC. I think we can easily say no for spring admissions. Even if there are some, most probably they don't offer financial aid to spring admissions. I am not planning to apply again - I will try to find a job and apply after one or two years. There are way too many applicants, and well I guess I am not good enough. A short job experience might make me look better.

Don't get me wrong (well I am pretty much in the same situation), but if you get rejected in Fall 2010, I don't think you can easily find a placement in Spring 2011.

If you're still determined to pursue a PhD I would recommend that you obtain a master's in the interim. Successfully doing so would demonstrate your capability at the graduate level. While in a MA program I would suggest you also try to get a publication under your belt. This will increase the competitiveness of a future PhD application.

If you're still determined to pursue a PhD I would recommend that you obtain a master's in the interim. Successfully doing so would demonstrate your capability at the graduate level. While in a MA program I would suggest you also try to get a publication under your belt. This will increase the competitiveness of a future PhD application.

Well in fact I am currently in an MA program. Getting published will definitely help me. Unfortunately, right now I don't have any publications and I only have one conference presentation.

Re: the latest Notre Dame news on the results page. I have truly never seen anything like this. It seems there is fourth category between "rejected" and "wait-listed", and we are in that ether (which is better than being rejected outright, certainly).

It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination...