Fall 2010 Admission Results

I called the University of Chicago to find out when their admission week-end is (not that I have reason to think I'm in, I'm just trying to do some minimal planning as to when I might travel in case I get good news). I was told it was March 12th.

And I was also told... decisions could come "within the next day or so".

Btw- here is text of Emory reject

Thank you for your inquiry, I apologize for the delay in replying. Decision notifications from the Graduate School will be sent via email on Friday, however I can tell you that we will not be able to offer you admission. The applicant pool this year was not only extraordinarily competitive, but also considerably larger than recent years. We received 150 applications to fill only five slots available to us. I regret that we will not be able to find a place for you in this fallā€™s entering class.

We sincerely appreciate your interest in Emory and wish you success in your academic career.

Denise Brubaker

Academic Department Administrator

Btw- here is text of Emory reject

Thank you for your inquiry, I apologize for the delay in replying. Decision notifications from the Graduate School will be sent via email on Friday, however I can tell you that we will not be able to offer you admission. The applicant pool this year was not only extraordinarily competitive, but also considerably larger than recent years. We received 150 applications to fill only five slots available to us. I regret that we will not be able to find a place for you in this fallā€™s entering class.

We sincerely appreciate your interest in Emory and wish you success in your academic career.

Denise Brubaker

Academic Department Administrator

I wonder how the size of their applicant pool compares to others in the top 25-30, and if that "larger than recent years" applies to most places.

I'm really starting to freak out about my chances. I thought applying to 13 schools would give me a decent chance to get in somewhere, but as I look through my emails (think Tina Slater's we have 393 applicants this year...) I'm starting to think it will be nearly impossible for me to get in anywhere. Ugh.

end vent

Sorry to be a pest, but was the email from a professor or from the department? Thanks!

No worries -- sorry, I'm having a busy day. It was from a professor. Congrats to all the Berkeley and NYU acceptances! I haven't heard from them and so assume I didn't get in.

Who is claiming the Northwestern acceptance that was posted right now?

I posted that, curufinwe. I received it just an hour ago or so, which came as a (very good!) surprise as I thought they were done accepting.

pablo, Berkeley did tell someone else who contacted them that they would sent out their emails over the course of a few days (see a few pages up), so good news could still come.

Edited by Tan

Congrats to you, too! Minnesota, right? That's great department. Don't despair about Berkeley! Last year, they did about half of their acceptances one day, and half the next, so we could get lucky tomorrow! But even if you don't hear good news, you have an excellent acceptance in your hand, so don't worry about it.

Thanks, I'm psyched about Minnesota! Best of luck everyone.

I wonder how the size of their applicant pool compares to others in the top 25-30, and if that "larger than recent years" applies to most places.Ā 

I don't have proof, but I would think it might be the case. I spoke to professors at other schools and in different departments conversationally (business, econ, polisci) and the words "record numbers" were often used.Ā 

Edited by qazwerty

I posted that, curufinwe. I received it just an hour ago or so, which came as a (very good!) surprise as I thought they were done accepting.

pablo, Berkeley did tell someone else who contacted them that they would sent out their emails over the course of a few days (see a few pages up), so good news could still come.

thats great, man, congrats. I'm glad you proved me wrong.

Though I am still right about the "not being hopeful" thing since I didn't get one :)