Fall 2010 Admission Results

Bobb Cobb,

I really like Mizzou. Both of my cousins from St. Louis went there and loved it (they are both very intelligent). I am doing CP. I am pleased with the sort of talent there and I think it is either a 14k or 16k stipend. I will see when the official letter comes, I guess!

That stipend should work pretty well in Columbia. I am not sure what else they have in terms of fringe benefits, but with CP you should be pretty well set if that's where you choose to end up.

This is pretty random, but has anyone heard anything from UNC? I haven't heard a peep from them.

My friend called them up last week. Apparently they said they have sent out all their acceptances and are operating and unofficial waitlist, but that they are rarely turned down beyond their anticipated yield rate. So unfortunately it doesn't look likely any more admissions are coming :(

On a side note, anyone claiming the Berkeley waitlist that went up on the results page? Any details on subfield etc pls?

This is pretty random, but has anyone heard anything from UNC? I haven't heard a peep from them.

They sent out all of their acceptances at least a couple weeks ago. Then, to prove that they are beyond silly, they sent out a mass email that had everyone's email address clearly visible. Brilliant!

I called UNC last week and talked to the grad secretary. She said that all the acceptances had been sent out. However, she said that the admissions committee was going to meet what was then a week from Wednesday (in other words what's now yesterday) and decide who to put on the wait list. Rejections and WLs would be sent out via e-mail sometime end of this week or early next week she said.

I also got that email; why do you think itĀ“s a problem?

It's a simple case of being courteous about privacy really. My email is my full name, and I know I'd rather have say over who knows where I was accepted or rejected...

I don't think this was a school that I heard many people mention, but I claim the acceptance at University of Iowa. It appears, however, that funding is either limited, non-existent, or not determined, as it is not at all referenced in the e-mail. Yeah, like I'm gonna pay my own way there...haha

Ā 

I don't think this was a school that I heard many people mention, but I claim the acceptance at University of Iowa. It appears, however, that funding is either limited, non-existent, or not determined, as it is not at all referenced in the e-mail. Yeah, like I'm gonna pay my own way there...haha

I think they usually have very small classes compared to peer schools. Also, I know that their funding was weak last year as well. I know someone that knows someone in that department, and they mentioned that the funding was going to be real tight this year too. Of course that is 3rd hand so grains of salt and what not... Either way if so that is a shame because they seem to have a good program with some good potential mentors.

On 2/18/2010 at 9:36 AM, APGradApplicant said:

Thanks, irishfan! Haven't heard from you in awhile (as a group rather, not just speaking for myself). Have you been surviving the process alright?

Pretty good, pretty good. I've gotten into Kentucky and Texas Tech, rejected by New Mexico.

Luckily, I've been able to pass the time by working on my thesis, having a 9-5 job, and tutoring some students at a local university.

A bit random, but does anyone have any insight into the Politics Dept. at Brandeis? I know last year they did not accept any students for their Ph.D. program (damn you Bernie Madoff!); but have they recovered enough to accept students for the upcoming year? By the looks of the results page, decisions from Brandeis have come at various points throughout Feb. and March in the past...anyone know what the timetable might be this year?

A bit random, but does anyone have any insight into the Politics Dept. at Brandeis? I know last year they did not accept any students for their Ph.D. program (damn you Bernie Madoff!); but have they recovered enough to accept students for the upcoming year? By the looks of the results page, decisions from Brandeis have come at various points throughout Feb. and March in the past...anyone know what the timetable might be this year?

I emailed the DGS a few weeks ago and he said the committee would meet at the end of this month. A new cohort seems a go.

Did they refund applicants' application fees? Seems a bit unfair to charge if there is zero chance of being admitted.

I believe they did refund application fees last year (I remember seeing someone mention it on the results page). I think they also offered some folks who would normally have been accepted to the Ph.D. program a reduced tuition option on their MA program.

Hopefully the email to Keller was true, and Brandeis will be accepting (and funding) students for their Ph.D. program for the Fall.

I know that they are probably rejections, and there are other priorities, but it would be great if these schools could go ahead and tell me so I can quit freaking. I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope I have a miracle acceptance from Princeton coming, but it's not highly likely given the history of acceptance/rejection from that program, and I would like to be able to officially shift my focus if I didn't get in.