Consolation Prizes

starfish

On the off chance that the admissions committees fail to see the brilliance and promise in each of us and we aren't accepted this year, does anyone have any consolation plans? I don't mean to ask what you will be doing if you don't get in, but rather if you have any particular treat in mind for yourself to keep your spirits up.

I just came up with mine--if I don't get in, I'm going to get a Newfoundland landseer puppy. I think it will be hard to be too depressed with a giant fluffy ball of puppy joy bouncing around my house and yard.

Anyone else have something in mind to soften the blow?

Hmm, go buy some crazy Belgian beer perhaps?

Also my plan for what to do (if I ignore my real backup plan of doing a master's at my undergrad institution) is to move to San Francisco and become a House DJ and then I can sometimes go to Berkeley and scowl at the professors that probably rejected me. (I know you said specifically you weren't asking that, but I rather like mine)

Also my plan for what to do (if I ignore my real backup plan of doing a master's at my undergrad institution) is to move to San Francisco and become a House DJ and then I can sometimes go to Berkeley and scowl at the professors that probably rejected me. (I know you said specifically you weren't asking that, but I rather like mine)

I like that too! Much better than mine, which is so mundane--teaching at community college(s) and playing with a new puppy. You can see, I'm much more excited about the puppy. ;)

Even better, perhaps some of the professors who rejected you will fall so in love with your DJing skills that they will buy you a drink, and you'll start talking and soon enough they will be begging for you to be their student. It's all about dreaming, right?

I think if I don't get in anywhere, I'll complete my Peace Corps application. I think it would be a great life experience, plus it will be another two years before I have to think about the real world again...

I'm hopefully going to Hawaii on my spring break. Here's hoping that I'll have good things to celebrate. If I really don't get in, well, I'll have gotten to go to Hawaii, and I'll buck up and try again next year.

Maybe curl up in a corner for a couple of hours, bobbing my head and speaking in tougues. After that, go out and plan to continue my current career -- I am fine where I am.

I like that too! Much better than mine, which is so mundane--teaching at community college(s) and playing with a new puppy. You can see, I'm much more excited about the puppy. ;)

Even better, perhaps some of the professors who rejected you will fall so in love with your DJing skills that they will buy you a drink, and you'll start talking and soon enough they will be begging for you to be their student. It's all about dreaming, right?

Haha, that would be a hell of a way to go.

Unfortunately even moving over there is unrealistic considering I would have to take out enough in loans to start a small business in order to afford rent there until I started making any money :\

Well, I'm applying for jobs right now, so hopefully I'll have something to do if the gods don't smile upon my academic plans. Looking to teach high school again.

Otherwise, I'm moving someplace I want to be - like Boston, DC, SF, Seattle, LA - to look for a job. My state's gone in the can employment-wise!

If I don't get in, I'll have a great excuse to move to wherever my boyfriend does his MFA.

If neither of us get in, we'll have a great excuse to move to Brooklyn. I'll sell my soul to Big Pharma or something for a year, and he'll take classes at UCB.

I love the UCB! I wonder if they still have free shows on Sundays

My consolation probably involves picking a city I like in China, moving there, and teaching English, so I can hoard some money in anticipation of my inevitable return to the battle for an acceptance into a Ph.D program. That was a confusing sentence, wasn't it? Well, the main part is that I will get away from my super-over-protective family and live somewhere else :)

Oh, and a less grandiose consolation would be splurging on some unnamed photography equipment, maybe a good lens.

I'm going to Red Lobster to stuff myself full of cheddar biscuits and order Parrot Bay Shrimp with a super giant "as large as a tire" adult beverage. Either way.

Haha, I love this! And of course you are a fellow Louisianan. Food and whiskey is the prize and consolation prize for everything in life down here. Crawfish etouffee for me, either way!

Edited by intextrovert

I'll retreat to the Mountains and buy a cabin (seriously).

Also as a Fellow Louisianan, I would like to remind everyone that Red Lobster does not count as an authentic Louisianan seafood restaurant. Please go to Ralph and Kacoo's, Mike Anderson's (although the one near me closed down), or (better yet) a fellow Louisisan's house to get good Crawfish Etouffee. Parrot Bay Shrimp still sounds delicious though. Just making sure non-Louisianans don't get confused. :)

I'm going to Red Lobster to stuff myself full of cheddar biscuits and order Parrot Bay Shrimp with a super giant "as large as a tire" adult beverage. Either way.

Those cheese biscuits are incredible, and will certainly lift your mood if you're down. Mmm... fresh from the oven, glistening with garlic and butter and cheese... now I'm drooling.

This is an interesting topic...I think my initial consolation prize will be similar to my celebratory prize...champagne or related alcoholic beverage.

Afterwards, I think I'll take a trip to LA for the Coachella Music Festival in April.

After that...hello applications to teach abroad.