A Sticky Admissions Situation

Hayyamyy

Question

I just wanted to say I've been following grad cafe for a while and the comments have been so useful to me throughout my applications. Thank you all so much! :D

I am in a very unique spot with my top program. I am currently enrolled in as a master's student and will be completing my master's degree next semester. I've applied to my school's pharm sci PhD program and had a Skype interview with a few professors I would like to conduct research with last Monday. One of the courses I am tentatively enrolling in is for a course taught by one of the professors I interviewed with. However, I do not need the course to graduate and the addition of the course would require me to pay about $2500 out of pocket. I did not realize the cost until I looked at my tuition bill this morning. What do you suggest I do? 

- Email my professor explaining the situation and hope that it won't affect a potential acceptance? 

- Stuck it up and pay the $2500 (which is a huge financial cost to me) 

- Drop the course and don't mention it to him hoping he did not notice I was enrolled?

This is my first time posting, I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you! 

4 answers to this question

If you have not discussed the course with the professor at all, then you should just drop the course and not say anything. If you have mentioned it in passing and told the professor you would be taking their course, then drop the course and politely let them know that although you discussed it with them before, you decided not to take the course this semester. If the prof had encouraged you to take this course and expected you to be enrolled, then you should explain the financial situation and they will understand. It's up to you whether you talk to the prof before or after dropping it. I think if the financial cost is too much then you should definitely drop it. If you still might take the course if the prof says something convincing to you, then try to have the conversation first. Personally, I wouldn't pay $2500 for a course so I'd drop it and take it as a PhD student if you get in!

Edited to add: I forgot to say that all of this is indeed irrelevant to admissions and I wasn't suggesting that you talk to the prof since it could affect admissions. Instead, I think it's polite and professional to personally let someone know that you decided not to take their course if you had previously told them you would take their course :)

Edited by TakeruK
added clarification

I can't speak with absolute certainty, but I doubt the professor will care. You've already interviewed with him, and external factors like you being in class with the prof are unlikely to have a significant impact.

I highly doubt the professor will care or that dropping his course will have any effect on your admissions decision. Course registration statistics change all the time before the semester starts. I wouldn't be surprised if he has no idea who exactly is registered for his classes right now. I would just change your registration and not email the professor or say anything about it, it really has no relevancy for your application.