Does application date matter?

emilyf413

Hi all,

I've been turning in my applications pretty close to the due date. This is because I was under the impression that for MPP programs it's not really rolling admissions/application date doesn't really matter much as long as it's before the due date. But now I'm seeing that some people on here have already received some decisions because they applied earlier.

Do you think my application date matters? Thank you!

The people who have gotten their admissions results applied for early decision, that means that they applied at an earlier date and usually only to one school that was their top choice and if they got in they wouldn't need to apply anywhere else because they're committed to that school. The rules vary by school of course. There may be exceptions.

The application dates are more recommendations than hard deadlines in my experience.  The most selective programs may take them more seriously.  And yes, it does seem as though they often actually review them on a rolling basis, even if their webpage gives no indication of this.

Deadlines are not suggestions. If they give a date, you need to submit it by then. Just follow whatever the school says. 

From my understanding, it depends on the program. Some won't review any applications fully until after the deadline, while others might start reviewing yours as soon as they have everything they need (including recommendations). I would not wait until the last minute, and would submit as soon as you have everything ready to go. Obviously, if you need the time to finalize things, take it, but don't stress over every little detail and submit last minute (also for your own sanity so you are not stressing).