Contacting current students

katalytik

I contacted one of the grad students at one of the schools I applied to before I started the process. She was very helpful and I think it made my application stronger; in fact, she even provided feedback about my essay. I think I should have done that at the other schools, but never did.... oh well.

Anyone else regrets not doing this or even regrets doing this?

I contacted one of the grad students at one of the schools I applied to before I started the process. She was very helpful and I think it made my application stronger; in fact, she even provided feedback about my essay. I think I should have done that at the other schools, but never did.... oh well.

Anyone else regrets not doing this or even regrets doing this?

I regret not doing this... It would have been nice to have the inside scoop! I just was so late in deciding what schools to apply to (late fall instead of summer/early fall), that I was afraid such a late email might have the potential to make me look desperate. (As if grad students really have the time to yap to a prof about some random wannabe grad student).

I haven't, as I don't want to come off as a creep or something emailing them out of the blue (though if I were a grad student, I would be completely willing to help people who took the time to email me about the program).

I have thought about emailing students in the schools I am actually accepted to, to ask them about living in the area and what they think of the department and such (though a visit and talking in person would serve the same purpose).

I only contacted one from one school. He was absurdly helpful, though, and reccommended that I email random grad students from other programs. He said that he'd contacted tons of grad students out of the blue during his own application year and they were all helpful. I didn't ask him to talk to a prof or read anything though, just info about the community, research, etc.

I have thought about emailing students in the schools I am actually accepted to, to ask them about living in the area and what they think of the department and such (though a visit and talking in person would serve the same purpose).

This is probably a great idea for the lucky ones that get in!

I assume if I were contacted by some random person, I'd reply with some info about the program, but I wouldn't tell dirty little secrets to internet strangers. Now, if they were referred by my advisor/the DGS/the graduate secretary, then I might be more forthcoming. It's a good idea to talk to current students at some point. I did it after I had my answers and needed to make a decision, and got some very useful inside information. I think the students were much more forthcoming because I'd already been accepted and wasn't just contacting them out of the blue.

I assume if I were contacted by some random person, I'd reply with some info about the program, but I wouldn't tell dirty little secrets to internet strangers. Now, if they were referred by my advisor/the DGS/the graduate secretary, then I might be more forthcoming. It's a good idea to talk to current students at some point. I did it after I had my answers and needed to make a decision, and got some very useful inside information. I think the students were much more forthcoming because I'd already been accepted and wasn't just contacting them out of the blue.

My one contact was from a trusted person for the grad student. I did not ask the program coordinator, but she offered to give me the contact information for this one grad student who is also in the same general category. To avoid the "over the transom" or "creepy" feeling, you can always ask the coordinator (if you can get them before the application season gets into full swing) about any students who would be willing to answer questions about the program and their experience so far.

I applied to two other programs and I did not pursue it at those two because:

1. At one, I am collaborating on research already with a prof. in my target dept.

2. At the other, I spoke directly with the head of the graduate studies so I assumed I can't do any better. he was positive so I stopped.

BUT, I think current students would give out some interesting information which no one else would want to talk about......... or how to make the application successful. I guess this is all 20/20 hindsight..

Contacting current students actually saved me from applying to a place I really would have regretted going to. Particularly, I had a long phone conversation with a student who told me about her EX-advisor. She was very honest and made it very clear that he was not someone I should be working with. I really appreciated her frank response. However, I know that's not always the case with contacting current students.

Edited by eamiller12

I do really wish I'd contacted some grad students, especially since in a number of instances, they participate in some way in the admissions process- at one of my schools some grad students sit on the adcomm!

But the grad students at my home university who I've talked to have given me great advice. They can be a lot more in tune with your experiences as an applicant, especially if there are particulars about the admissions process that you're unsure of, and you feel weird asking profs for fear of looking silly. On the other hand, since profs make the final decision, I'm sure they're the better ones to ask in terms of advice for SOPs.

I haven't contacted grad students at programs I'd like to join myself, but I was quite close with several grad students in my program as an undergraduate. Said grad students were sometimes contacted by prospectives so I was clued in about how they handled the resultant correspondence.

My two cents is simply this: If you contact current grad students, contact one who has been around, preferably one is currently dissertating. If they include any information concerning a working dissertation title in their bio, this is a good indicator that they are a serious, senior student.

Since such students are experiencing the more trying period of their graduate school stay, I'm willing to bet that they will be more likely to be brutally honest which is what I'm also betting you want. They are no longer in a head-spin over being admitted or in denial (I suspect) about rejoining the real world in a dire economic climate.

Of course, it may be interesting to contact both newbies and oldies for comparison's sake. Working hypothesis: oldies will give you more dirt!

All of this is written from my perspective as a current grad student. I probably would've written quite different responses when I was applying.

This is something that everyone should do. You want to know if the stipend is liveable or if students are struggling to make ends meet, if there are problems with the program/university, etc. A visit is best to find this out but otherwise, try to have a frank phone conversation with someone rather than doing it over email. (But you can definitely set up the conversation over email.)

100% agree with this. I would NOT give out inside department info or dirty little secrets to someone that I don't know, and I definitely would not over email. Moreover, I'm far more likely to give out detailed information to someone that has already been accepted and is trying to decide where to attend rather than those who have applied but may or may not be accepted.

I did the same thing that fuzzylogician did when I applied, talking to current graduate students when I visited programs and, for the program that I couldn't visit, over the phone and IM. I had great conversations with people and learned a lot about programs. Though, to be said, I could tell fairly quickly on some visits that the program wasn't the right place for me.

The dirt on the program and pitfalls are what I really would want to know about. No one better than people experienceing it first hand to tell me......

I agree that you want to know these things but, unless you have friends in the program, it's unlikely you'll find out these things via email from a random person picked off the list of current graduate students. I can always tell who finds me that way, in part because my list of interests on the department website are out of date.

I didn't contact because, as stated above, I thought current students might perceive the e-mail as a bit random.

I would contact students if I was admitted to a program.

Last year, when I applied, I visited a school about 2 days after I applied (only convenient time). The students were very nice, but after the visit I regretted applying. It just was not the type of environment where I would want to complete a PhD.

It was unfortunate because it seemed like a great program (and the campus was gorgeous), but I didn't like the feel at all.

I think the students were much more forthcoming because I'd already been accepted and wasn't just contacting them out of the blue.

Agreed. While I'm sure many students would be willing to talk to prospective applicants, especially at the referral of a professor, they'd likely be more forthcoming and spend more time communicating with someone who has already been accepted to the program.

I don't think I would have too many reservations about telling random people that I love my program, because I do, and there's nothing dirty, little, or secret about it. I would think that at the very least it would be informative, if you did manage to get responses from grad students, to see how inhibited they seemed to be from telling you about the program. Plus, some people ARE willing to be quite open and honest about negative aspects of the program, even to complete strangers who are merely applying -- or at least that was my experience.

One disclaimer though: I applied as an undergrad at a well-known school with connections with some prominent faculty in my field, and even some grad student friends who knew people at a few of these programs. Of course, not all of this came across in the email, but I did mention my UG school and wrote from an @schoolname.edu address, which I figure increased my chances of getting a response.

Edited by socialpsych

I don't think I would have too many reservations about telling random people that I love my program, because I do, and there's nothing dirty, little, or secret about it. I would think that at the very least it would be informative, if you did manage to get responses from grad students, to see how inhibited they seemed to be from telling you about the program. Plus, some people ARE willing to be quite open and honest about negative aspects of the program, even to complete strangers who are merely applying -- or at least that was my experience.

One disclaimer though: I applied as an undergrad at a well-known school with connections with some prominent faculty in my field, and even some grad student friends who knew people at a few of these programs. Of course, not all of this came across in the email, but I did mention my UG school and wrote from an @schoolname.edu address, which I figure increased my chances of getting a response.

I agree with this. I am not sure people are so turned off from prospective student contact. There is nothing wrong to talk with them if you can get their attention. If they don't reply, then at least you tried. I also have connections in my field so it helps to go through a known network, but direct contact should also be an option. I am not as hesitant as some people on this thread. When one is so timid about such things, we can lose out on important information. Getting in touch needs to be done properly, but I see nothing wrong with contact -- even if out of the blue. We have self-selected at the graduate level so I don't think there is going to be some huge number of contacts even if the grad student is going to hear from someone.