Hello everyone!

I submitted my application through CSDCAS last month, and am now trying to get more info on the programs I applied to. I was limited to the Chicago area because of my husband's job, so I applied to:

-Governors State U

-St. Xavier U

-Midwestern U

-Northwestern U

-Rush U

-Elmhurst College

I missed the open houses for St. Xavier, Rush, Midwestern, and Elmhurst (all due to scheduling conflicts with work, unfortunately), so I would love to hear people's thoughts on the SLP programs at these schools if you have either visited or applied and were accepted. If you know anyone that attends these programs, what are their thoughts?  Finally, is there a better place than gradcafe where I could ask these questions? I would prefer to ask students who are currently attending the programs what their experiences have been like, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. If you guys have any resources that might be helpful, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Dena

Hi - I also live in Chicago and am limited to those same schools except that I did not apply to Rush or Governors State.  I'm currently doing my post-bacc at St. Xavier -the professors are very helpful -I cannot comment on the grad program and missed the open house because I had class.  St. Xavier, Midwestern and Elmhurst all have a different feel to them -My advice would be to wait and see where you are accepted and then schedule a day to visit.  Midwestern requires an on-campus interview that lasts from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm so if you are asked to interview you should get a good feel for their campus and program.  There are so many factors to consider cost, commute, etc.  Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Current Rush student, I can answer any questions you may have about the program! I would recommend waiting to hear back from at least a few universities before you start doing heavy research though, each year is a little different and the process is very subjective and can be hard to predict. I will say that you can set up a tour of Rush pretty much any time that is convenient for you, regardless of acceptance status.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 9:22 PM, lillklebenow said:

Current Rush student, I can answer any questions you may have about the program! I would recommend waiting to hear back from at least a few universities before you start doing heavy research though, each year is a little different and the process is very subjective and can be hard to predict. I will say that you can set up a tour of Rush pretty much any time that is convenient for you, regardless of acceptance status.

Thank you for your response! How are you liking Rush's program so far? I read a post on gradcafe about someone whose "family member" apparently totally regretted going to Rush and thought it was way too stressful, vigorous, etc. It sounds like an excellent program to me, though, and I am especially attracted to learning in a medical setting. I expect that any SLP program will be challenging, but the person who posted on gradcafe made it sound unbearable! I know that's just hearsay, but I did want to hear some other perspectives from students themselves. How do you like your cohort? What about your professors? 

On 1/11/2017 at 8:19 PM, Afternoonprogram said:

Hi - I also live in Chicago and am limited to those same schools except that I did not apply to Rush or Governors State.  I'm currently doing my post-bacc at St. Xavier -the professors are very helpful -I cannot comment on the grad program and missed the open house because I had class.  St. Xavier, Midwestern and Elmhurst all have a different feel to them -My advice would be to wait and see where you are accepted and then schedule a day to visit.  Midwestern requires an on-campus interview that lasts from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm so if you are asked to interview you should get a good feel for their campus and program.  There are so many factors to consider cost, commute, etc.  Good Luck!

Thanks for the response! I interviewed at Midwestern at the end of January, and I'm waiting to hear back from them :)

I'm in a particularly stressful situation since my lease at my apartment here in the south suburbs (Flossmoor) is up on March 31st, so my husband and I have to move by April 1st! Which means that I have to choose a school and find an apartment by then. I really don't know how that's going to happen, but all I can do is hope for the best! 

20 hours ago, 2016SLP said:

Thanks for the response! I interviewed at Midwestern at the end of January, and I'm waiting to hear back from them :)

I'm in a particularly stressful situation since my lease at my apartment here in the south suburbs (Flossmoor) is up on March 31st, so my husband and I have to move by April 1st! Which means that I have to choose a school and find an apartment by then. I really don't know how that's going to happen, but all I can do is hope for the best! 

I interviewed at Midwestern on Jan. 19th and haven't heard anything yet either.  It will be a difficult decision to decide where to live unless you know where you are going to school -you don't want a crazy Chicago commute on top of Grad school.  Have you narrowed it down to your top choices?  Elmhurst's email said that they will let us know by the end of Feb.  I wish they would send us their decision already!

On 2/13/2017 at 9:52 PM, Afternoonprogram said:

I heard from Midwestern in Downer's Grove today! So excited I got accepted.  I've heard from 2 out of 4.  It's so hard to wait!

Congratulations! This is wonderful news. You are an inspiration.

Hi there! We applied to a few similar schools in the Chicago area. I too applied to Midwestern (IL), Governors State, and Northwestern! I got accepted to Midwestern, and I was invited to an interview at Governors State but declined it. Northwestern is my number 1 choice, but I know how difficult it is to get into the program. Midwestern is definitely my go-to school if all else fails- love their program! :) Good luck!!

• 4 weeks later...

Which Chicago program are people choosing?  It's interesting that they send out acceptances and then wait so long to send funding.  I've been wait listed at Elmhurst and wonder what my chances are of being accepted off the wait list or if I should just commit to another school I've been accepted at  . . .