Harvard Ed. L.D. 2017

AppalachianAspirer

I'm feeling pretty bummed after not getting an interview for either Harvard or Vanderbilt. I do have an interview with Texas A&M's PhD program in a couple of weeks but it is not a fully funded program so that could be a huge hurdle that may keep me from attending. Congrats to all of you that got an interview and best of luck to those of you who, like me, may be licking your wounds a bit right now. Like Joe Dirt says, you've just to keep on keepin' on. 

On 2/4/2017 at 8:59 AM, AppalachianAspirer said:

Janky, Harvard was the only one I applied to as well. Pretty bummed, but already thinking about things I could potentially do to maybe make my application stand out for next year.

I'm going to give myself the weekend to feel sorry for myself, then regroup.

Yeah, I'm bummed too. I suppose it's possible we were both so awesome we got in without interviews? ? But I'm not betting the farm on it. 

42 minutes ago, AppalachianAspirer said:

Janky,

It's hard to know what they are looking for. I sort of suppose that my lack of work in urban schools worked against me. I have an administrative job offer in a Title I school for next year; makes me wonder if I should take it.

Hard to ever know, I suppose. I have 7 years in an urban district in a school that gets national recognition for the work we do to improve learning. High poverty rates, high homelessness. I love this work, but also want to do more systems-wide.

I've been involved in several reputable national teacher-leader efforts, have an MEd and JD from reputable schools, and have a clear vision of where I would like my work to go in my career. Professionally, I finally thought I had a competitive resume. But, even with all that someone's gotta fall short. 

The hardest part was telling my children, who live in a different state, that I wasn't getting an interview. My 9 year old roots so hard for me. He knows that as my professional opportunities grow the easier it is for me to travel and/or possibly move to his state. 

I was a top-3 or 4 finisher for a position with the Gates Foundation a few years back and it was a similar letdown. You do your best and damned if it's just not good enough.

like a boxer getting a title bout only to take it on the chin in rounds 1 or 2.

But, sounds like we are both successful educators with a deep passion for doing right by kids. We'll be alright. ?

Hi, Janky and Appalachian Aspirer,

Have I missed something? Did you guys receive confirmation that all interview invitations have been extended? I just called the admissions office and asked if the invitations have been sent and was told "Some have but it's not an admission decision." I then asked "Are there more invitations to come?" and was told "That's all I can say for now." According to last year's forums the invitations were mailed over a one week period. So...have you have you guys heard/ understood otherwise? Is it possible that we're jumping the gun by assuming that all invitations have been sent?

Gambatte!!!

Kelly

Edited by KellySatya

8 hours ago, KellySatya said:

Hi, Janky and Appalachian Aspirer,

Have I missed something? Did you guys receive confirmation that all interview invitations have been extended? I just called the admissions office and asked if the invitations have been sent and was told "Some have but it's not an admission decision." I then asked "Are there more invitations to come?" and was told "That's all I can say for now." According to last year's forums the invitations were mailed over a one week period. So...have you have you guys heard/ understood otherwise? Is it possible that we're jumping the gun by assuming that all invitations have been sent?

Gambatte!!!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I haven't given up all hope, but I'm also a bit pragmatic - getting an early invite seems to bode better than not, and getting in without an invite at all seems nearly impossible. I take pride in my background, but I wouldn't think my background is sufficiently better than anyone else's to warrant that. So, finger crossed, but also don't want to set myself up for more disappointment. Only time will tell though and I'm still anxious to hear either way for sure.

Hey Janky,

Thank you for your reply. I understand your perspective. I wish you the best. I'm on the edge of my seat, too! I was told by the admissions office that one does need to interview in order to be admitted. However, I've also been told that interviews are sent out over a one week period. Personally, I'm giving it until Friday. Again, GOOD LUCK!!!!

Kelly

I am disappointed too. 

I'm pretty sure if we haven't received an interview invite it's not going to happen. 

I taught 9 years at an urban Title 1 school. Im an assistant principal (2years) now in Houston isd, the 7th largest district. This school was a turn around school and we were able to turn it around. 

I did average on my GRE (156 V, 150 Q and 4.5 W). 

I felt given my work background I had an outside shot. 

It's a bummer for sure (not getting an invite to interview). 

I'm sorry Gerardo! It sounds like you're doing excellent work though! Your students will surely be over the moon to have you with them again next year if Harvard doesn't work out. :-)

Kelly

Thank you guys. Your words encourage me. 

Ive started a doctoral program at the University of Houston in executive leadership.  While it is not Harvard, and not my first choice, it allows me to work full time and work on my degree. 

I will start to look for principalship positions for this fall ( within Houston ISD). Hope it works out! 

• 3 weeks later...