Comparative Literature Programs

I got an interview with them this morning. I'm going to be in NYC anyway so I'm trying to arrange an in-person meeting but I'll probably have to Skype as well. I talked to one of the professors on the phone just now.

I don't think Harvard interviews though? Some programmes do it without saying so on the website, or only interview some candidates but not others.

This happened to my friend's cohort member. He was interviewed; my friend wasn't. But this was a different department.

I got an interview with them this morning. I'm going to be in NYC anyway so I'm trying to arrange an in-person meeting but I'll probably have to Skype as well. I talked to one of the professors on the phone just now.

That's great! I have a skype interview in a few days. I am too scared to function. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone who has applied to complit at columbia for a PhD track heard back??? I can't tell from the results search if just the english department has made decisions or complit as well...

I've fot a few questions for you!

- What are the Comp Lit programs that automatically offer full funding to all those accepted? (For sure, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, but probably many more, your expertise can be useful for me ^.^)

- For those who have received positive answers, is there a big difference in the rankings between your Undergrad/M.A. School and PhD School (or schools you've been accepted to)?

- What were your undergrad major and MA field before applying to Phd in Comp Lit?

Thank you so much!

I've fot a few questions for you!

- What are the Comp Lit programs that automatically offer full funding to all those accepted? (For sure, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, but probably many more, your expertise can be useful for me ^.^)

- For those who have received positive answers, is there a big difference in the rankings between your Undergrad/M.A. School and PhD School (or schools you've been accepted to)?

- What were your undergrad major and MA field before applying to Phd in Comp Lit?

Thank you so much!

Other programs I can think of that fund all their students include Washington University in St. Louis, Penn State, and Northwestern, but I'm sure there are plenty more. I'm pretty sure that UT Austin also funds nearly all, if not all, of its students. For example, they were required to admit fewer students this year due to budget cuts.

As for rankings: I'm sure you've already heard this before, but undergrad and grad rankings can vary enormously. And with Comp Lit it's especially hard to gauge because there are no rankings per se - just the NRC survey reports, which are kind of wacky anyway. If you want to know about the overall prestige of undergrad to grad schools (which is usually based just on undergrad stats), the schools I got into were ranked about the same as my undergrad institution or a little lower. However, the ones with the lower undergrad rankings are higher ranked according to the NRC, so shrug.

My B.A. was in English, French, and German.

Of the places I've been in contact with, I think Michigan and Rutgers fund everyone, and Illinois funds everyone but international students, I believe. Just so you know, I received funding offers from all the universities I was accepted to. It seems that comp. lit. programs are pretty good about finding funding. I got into schools that are generally ranked quite a bit higher than my undergraduate and graduate university. I have a BA in Creative Writing and will have an MA in English this spring.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting ready to apply to some PhD programs in Comp Lit.  Emory is my dream school.  Their program seems perfectly suited to the research I want to do.  However, when I got my MA in French, my GPA was only 3.22.  (I was working part-time and raising a pre-school aged son on my own.)  I did better as an undergrad.  I know I need to apply to some less competitive schools, but it's hard to get a feel for how competitive a program is.  Can anyone recommend some good safety schools?