Fall 17 applicants OR/ISE/MSE

jaejin

19 minutes ago, ghjk said:

Yeah, still not hear anything despite my email to Prof. Kulkarni letting him know I have a deadline to make for the other offer. I don't understand wth is going on, particularly when 2 students posted on the result board saying that they are accepted into this program. And he's the one who encouraged me to apply by saying that my profile is quite strong (and even gave me advice on switching from the track comp. finance to business analytics track, as that's where the two professors I am interested in working with are housed, and he said they might not accept anyone in comp. finance this year..). Which track did you choose?  

Machine learning.

I'm particularly surprised because the posts on the Survey indicate that they received acceptance emails back in January. If they sent them out that early, then I'd think that they'd have made all of their decisions (rejections, waitlists, and possibly a second round of admits?) within another week or two.

Edited by poopyhead

3 hours ago, JYL_eng said:

Looks like everyone in this forum so far is applying to PhD programs?

I'm applying to master's program at Berkeley, Columbia and Stanford

So far I've only received an interview invitation from Berkeley

good luck! when is it? I'm applying for masters as well, but not berk

1 hour ago, poopyhead said:

Machine learning.

I'm particularly surprised because the posts on the Survey indicate that they received acceptance emails back in January. If they sent them out that early, then I'd think that they'd have made all of their decisions (rejections, waitlists, and possibly a second round of admits?) within another week or two.

Or they might be fake ones? Based on my correspondence with another professor at INSTORE (on January 24th), the committee has not met yet (he supposed). There is probably one round of admit only, as he said explicitly that they would admit very few students in this year (2-4 slots available, at most)

1 hour ago, ghjk said:

Or they might be fake ones? Based on my correspondence with another professor at INSTORE (on January 24th), the committee has not met yet (he supposed). There is probably one round of admit only, as he said explicitly that they would admit very few students in this year (2-4 slots available, at most)

So I'm guessing no word (at least not yet) from the two that posted results? 

Do you know if the separate tracks have different admit processes and slots? I'm guessing not.

And I noticed that past acceptances seem to suggest late Feb to mid March with no mention of interviews. Hm ...

Oh, and I recall their website saying that they typically admit 12 students with around 800 applicants (I'm guessing this is across stats, OR, and INSTORE).

Edited by poopyhead

7 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

So I'm guessing no word (at least not yet) from the two that posted results? 

Do you know if the separate tracks have different admit processes and slots? I'm guessing not.

And I noticed that past acceptances seem to suggest late Feb to mid March with no mention of interviews. Hm ...

Oh, and I recall their website saying that they typically admit 12 students with around 800 applicants (I'm guessing this is across stats, OR, and INSTORE).

No, the same person made a decision on the track (Prof. Kulkarni). He might consult with some particular faculties you mentioned on your SOP to assess the fit, but he would be the one who makes the final call. And no word from the two until now, despite me politely asking them for more information on their background. 

Could you give me the link to that statistics? 4 students in INSTORE indeed mean *very few,* assume they got like 200 applicants. By the way, I think Machine Learning track would be very competitive, as that field is hot NOW and a lot of applicants would probably apply to that track if they are trend-following.

3 minutes ago, ghjk said:

No, the same person made a decision on the track (Prof. Kulkarni). He might consult with some particular faculties you mentioned on your SOP to assess the fit, but he would be the one who makes the final call. And no word from the two until now, despite me politely asking them for more information on their background. 

Could you give me the link to that statistics? 4 students in INSTORE indeed mean *very few,* assume they got like 200 applicants. By the way, I think Machine Learning track would be very competitive, as that field is hot NOW and a lot of applicants would probably apply to that track if they are trend-following.

http://stat-or.unc.edu/graduate-admissions/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-graduate-admissions-process

Yeah, this started out as a "reach" program and it's drifting more and more into that territory by the day ... 

6 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

http://stat-or.unc.edu/graduate-admissions/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-graduate-admissions-process

Yeah, this started out as a "reach" program and it's drifting more and more into that territory by the day ... 

Haha, you should chill out...At the end of the day, I'm sure this program's acceptances come down to FIT, as do many other highly competitive programs....Your life is decided by you, not the program you are in, so just kick their ass when you get the acceptance letter.

Edited by ghjk

14 hours ago, ghjk said:

Hi Rick, thanks for sharing your thought, and congrats on being admitted to G. Tech's ISyE (one of a top programs in OR man!!). For G. Tech, you were probably selected by that faculty or some other faculties in order to be admitted (I knew because I wasn't selected (unofficially) due to the reason that none of the faculty members indicate *strong* interest in sponsoring me). Mind sharing a bit about your profile here? Where else did you apply besides Berkeley? 

10 hours ago, yc3107 said:

Rick YG

Big congrats, GIT OR is a very top program.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience about this two programs, I received an interview from Columbia IEOR yesterday, I also received an interview from Berkeley IEOR two weeks ago.

Have you got an offer from Berkeley IEOR because I guess they made the decisions yesterday or do you know some people who have been admitted into Berkeley?

@yc3107 @ghjk

Hi guys (and girls) (trying to be p.c.),

Thanks!

I have not heard anything from UC Berkeley since the friendly but puzzling non-academic interview. I check the online application website (is there a separate website for posting decisions...?) frequently and there does not seem to be any update.

Today I heard from the Columbia IEOR program director (through email) that I was admitted. The official letters are to be delivered by the School of Engineering (e.g., Dean's Office?) so it takes some extra days according to the director's email. In fact, last week, one faculty member already invited me for a Skype chat, telling me that I was (most likely) admitted and expressing his interest in working with me if I choose Columbia.

I have applied to quite a few (PhD) programs in OR. Currently want to know more about the progress at UC Berkeley, Cornell, Stanford and MIT - have not heard anything from these schools.

Best luck to everyone!!

1 hour ago, ghjk said:

Haha, you should chill out...At the end of the day, I'm sure this program's acceptances come down to FIT, as do many other highly competitive programs....Your life is decided by you, not the program you are in, so just kick their ass when you get the acceptance letter.

Heh, thanks. We'll see ...

@ Rick YG

Congrats on getting an offer from Columbia's IEOR! I was also contacted by Berkeley IEOR several weeks ago and had a casual interview with them. I also had interviews with two Columbia IEOR professors (I thought the interviews went pretty well). However, I haven't heard anything back from Columbia yet (I assumed that it means a waitlist/rejection), but I was admitted by Berkeley's IEOR. Do you know whether Columbia's IEOR has sent out all the offers?

22 hours ago, yc3107 said:

@or17sw

Big congrats that you was admitted into Berkeley. I want to ask you if  Berkeley IEOR had sent out all offer previously (I guess so)?

Thank you! I am not entirely sure. But my hypothesis for both Berkeley and Columbia's IEOR is that they sent out offers to candidates that they want for sure, and might send out other offers after more committee meetings/discussions (that's the impression I got from a Columbia prof who interviewed me; it seems that they were planning on having another committee meeting to decide who to take). 

7 minutes ago, or17sw said:

Thank you! I am not entirely sure. But my hypothesis for both Berkeley and Columbia's IEOR is that they sent out offers to candidates that they want for sure, and might send out other offers after more committee meetings/discussions (that's the impression I got from a Columbia prof who interviewed me; it seems that they were planning on having another committee meeting to decide who to take). 

Hmm...do you know if that would include non-interviewed candidates as well?

9 minutes ago, ghjk said:

Hmm...do you know if that would include non-interviewed candidates as well?

I have no idea. It seems that Columbia's IEOR is interviewing quite many candidates. It also seems likely to me that very strong candidates would be accepted without any interviews. Best of luck!

To ghjk, I am the International student who has been admitted in Princeton's ORFE as PhD student. Bachelor Degree in CS (GPA: 3.9/4) and Master's Degree in CS (GPA: 3.88/4) from top research school in France (ENS). Three very strong LORs from very famous professors in ML. No publications. GRE: quantitative 162/ verbal: 152/ writing: 3.5 and TOEFL: 101/120. Good luck !

Finally someone started a threat, it's been a long wait. I applied to a number of programs in OR/FE phd. So far I've gotten into Carnegie Mellon OR and gotten a visitation invite from Umich but no official offer.

Haven't heard from Columbia or Berkeley for interviews though so not sure what that means.

17 minutes ago, lpminp said:

Finally someone started a threat, it's been a long wait. I applied to a number of programs in OR/FE phd. So far I've gotten into Carnegie Mellon OR and gotten a visitation invite from Umich but no official offer.

Haven't heard from Columbia or Berkeley for interviews though so not sure what that means.

Nice man! Congrats... Which program of Umich did you apply to?

@ghjk Hi, I found this thread from the survey. I am applying OM (buz school) PhD this year. Maybe we can share some information. How do you know that Tepper interviewed only 5 students? I haven't got any the interview so quite curious.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:44 PM, poopyhead said:

So it looks like Cornell ORIE results are coming in? Does anyone know if they send out all of their admit emails at once or if they do it on a case-by-case basis?

I actually just got my acceptance today, a few days later than everyone else, as well as a belated interview invite from Columbia. Totally unexpected on both accounts. So to those of you who haven't heard back yet, don't lose hope yet. Results can come at any time.