Fall 17 applicants OR/ISE/MSE

jaejin

1 hour ago, lpminp said:

I actually just got my acceptance today, a few days later than everyone else, as well as a belated interview invite from Columbia. Totally unexpected on both accounts. So to those of you who haven't heard back yet, don't lose hope yet. Results can come at any time.

Congrats man!! Did you get the fellowship as well? When would you have the interview with Columbia's IEOR? I actually think, based on the post on Results, that only 2 people in this forum got accepted for the Cornell's ORIE so far... Best of luck on Columbia!

On 2/17/2017 at 9:29 PM, ILoveSolder said:

seems like there were a bunch of MIT ORC PhD results today. Did anyone apply and not hear back?

I'm also curious about that. Did they pre-reject some people (based on some overarching criteria) and are going to review select applications now? Or have all decisions been made? It would be really bad if they just rejected people (me) outright, on account of lower-than-holy-GPA, and didn't even read the documentation...

Also PhD: does anyone know if Berkeley IEOR and Stanford MS&E admit people without interviewing them? Or should I take the absence of an interview invite by now as a rejection?

Edited by -outsider-
typos

On 1/27/2017 at 3:54 PM, jaejin said:

I applied to Columbia, MIT, Michigan, Stanford and Univ of Florida

On 2/5/2017 at 3:14 PM, ghjk said:

I applied to several OR programs (G. Tech, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, UNC) as well as OM programs at biz schools (CMU Tepper, U-Wisconsin -Madison, Indiana Uni, NYU Stern, OSU Fisher, UW Foster, Columbia) So far got a fellowship at U-Wisconsin-Madison and a pending onsite *interview* at Foster(anybody went through this before, could you share your experience?) and rejections from OSU Fisher (big surprise to me), CMU Tepper (made it to the shortlist but failed to get on the 5-people interview list:p), G. Tech (unofficial), and most likely waitlisted at Columbia's IEOR (so sad...). 

Did anyone else apply to Michigan OpRes, Cornell ORIE, GeorgiaTech ISyE and/or Purdue IndEng? Has anyone heard back from any of them?

It's my impression that Michigan and Purdue have not been very popular with applicants here this year. Is that really the case? Why so?

3 hours ago, -outsider- said:

I'm also curious about that. Did they pre-reject some people (based on some overarching criteria) and are going to review select applications now? Or have all decisions been made? It would be really bad if they just rejected people (me) outright, on account of lower-than-holy-GPA, and didn't even read the documentation...

Also PhD: does anyone know if Berkeley IEOR and Stanford MS&E admit people without interviewing them? Or should I take the absence of an interview invite by now as a rejection?

Haven't heard back from Berkeley and Stanford yet, but was interviewed a few weeks ago.

Also, I highly doubt that MIT rejects on account of GPA. Can't reveal much about myself but I do have a 4.0 GPA from well-known prestigious undergrad as well as quite solid research experience but was still rejected. I guess what really matters is your research fit (and thus my rejection).

My previous work was on a slightly different side of OR from what they do at ORC. But whatever, I have other offers and will probably (and hopefully) have a better fit somewhere else.

3 hours ago, -outsider- said:

Did anyone else apply to Michigan OpRes, Cornell ORIE, GeorgiaTech ISyE and/or Purdue IndEng? Has anyone heard back from any of them?

It's my impression that Michigan and Purdue have not been very popular with applicants here this year. Is that really the case? Why so?

Yes. I got into Cornell and GaTech at least couple weeks ago. Didn't apply to Michigan and Purdue.

10 hours ago, -outsider- said:

I was accepted to Cornell and went to UMich's visitation weekend. No idea about number of applicants though.

23 hours ago, ejr2233 said:

Haven't heard back from Berkeley and Stanford yet, but was interviewed a few weeks ago.

Also, I highly doubt that MIT rejects on account of GPA. Can't reveal much about myself but I do have a 4.0 GPA from well-known prestigious undergrad as well as quite solid research experience but was still rejected. I guess what really matters is your research fit (and thus my rejection).

My previous work was on a slightly different side of OR from what they do at ORC. But whatever, I have other offers and will probably (and hopefully) have a better fit somewhere else.

Yes. I got into Cornell and GaTech at least couple weeks ago. Didn't apply to Michigan and Purdue.

Hey do you know anything about GaTech's ACO program? how does compare to its industrial engineering program?

So I guess there's still nothing from UNC INSTORE? Previous years suggest that there are no interviews and they send out notices in March, but the two from January this year are making me nervous.

5 hours ago, poopyhead said:

So I guess there's still nothing from UNC INSTORE? Previous years suggest that there are no interviews and they send out notices in March, but the two from January this year are making me nervous.

I heard that they already selected the candidates. So you might want to give up hopes:p

46 minutes ago, ghjk said:

I heard that they already selected the candidates. So you might want to give up hopes:p

*sigh*

If that's the case, I wish they'd just send the rejection notices already.

Edited by poopyhead

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Has anyone applied to Columbia MS&E and got a response, yet? I see that MFE & MSOR applicants have received interview invites/ admits. But, there is not much information about the MS&E admits. 

Thank you!

On 3/9/2017 at 0:01 PM, SP09 said:

Hi All,

Has anyone applied to Columbia MS&E and got a response, yet? I see that MFE & MSOR applicants have received interview invites/ admits. But, there is not much information about the MS&E admits. 

Thank you!

My friend applied on Jan 6. No news yet. I heard someone got an interview for MS&E (different forum). Anything new?

@cocomomo I do hear from current students that they direct MFE rejects to MSOR. But MS&E to MSOR, I read one mention in some forum, but not really sure about it. If I do get more information, I shall post it here.

Hey everyone, for those of you applying to Columbia's IEOR, keep your hope up! I just had an interview today with a professor, and there was a technical question that came as a surprise:) (Spoiler: drawing randomly x_1, x_2,....x_n from U(0,1), and stop right after you have x_n>x_{n+1} on the nth roll. Find expected number of rolls). Good luck to the rest.

I got an admit from Purdue & UIUC for Masters. I'm interested in OR. I am not sure which one to pick. Moreover, how is the job scenario for OR for an international student? Can someone please help me out?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys

Prospective MS applicant for Fall 2018 here. Still in the process of putting together a final university shortlist but will be applying for OR or Stat programs.

Did everyone on here apply for a phD in 2017?

Looking for university shortlist advice and profile evaluation. Is this the right thread to add to?