Advanced Certificates

Anyone planning on getting an advanced certificate? I think I'm interested in an Advanced certificate program in autism spectrum disorders but I'm not sure how or if that would benefit me career/money wise. What certs are you thinking of and what are the benefits you've found in receiving them?

22 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Anyone planning on getting an advanced certificate? I think I'm interested in an Advanced certificate program in autism spectrum disorders but I'm not sure how or if that would benefit me career/money wise. What certs are you thinking of and what are the benefits you've found in receiving them?

I'm planning on getting my TSSLD certificate. I'm not sure if I want to work in the schools immediately but it's required by NY if you do!

I'm doing a certificate in Deafblindness Intervention as part of my 2nd bachelor's. I chose it because I have an interest in auditory-verbal therapy for the deaf & hard-of-hearing. When I started networking with AVT's currently working in the field, most told me that they had at least one student with deafblindness on their caseload at any given time. I didn't know anything about deafblindness aside from having read a biography of Helen Keller and her teacher Annie Sullivan when I was a kid. Obviously things have changed for the better since the 19th century! A lot of what I've learned/am learning in the courses required for the certificate applies to deaf & hard-of-hearing students with typical vision as well. I think I will be a better AVT for having done the certificate regardless of whether it winds up helping me get into grad school and/or land a job.

I would do a certificate for your own professional development if there is one that interests you, but I would not go into it assuming it will help you make more money. If it does, fantastic. Just don't count on that happening.

23 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

I'm doing a certificate in Deafblindness Intervention as part of my 2nd bachelor's. I chose it because I have an interest in auditory-verbal therapy for the deaf & hard-of-hearing. When I started networking with AVT's currently working in the field, most told me that they had at least one student with deafblindness on their caseload at any given time. I didn't know anything about deafblindness aside from having read a biography of Helen Keller and her teacher Annie Sullivan when I was a kid. Obviously things have changed for the better since the 19th century! A lot of what I've learned/am learning in the courses required for the certificate applies to deaf & hard-of-hearing students with typical vision as well. I think I will be a better AVT for having done the certificate regardless of whether it winds up helping me get into grad school and/or land a job.

I would do a certificate for your own professional development if there is one that interests you, but I would not go into it assuming it will help you make more money. If it does, fantastic. Just don't count on that happening.

Yeah I wouldn't assume I would get more money. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if that was the case or not. I actually had an interview with a school for children with auditory disabilities the other day and would've loved that experience, but it was just too far away. I don't know much about becoming an AVT. I just started a tab on it so I can do some research on it later. Do you have to become an SLP first in order to become an AVT or is sort of a separate field? 

AVT's are either SLP's or Audiologists who have specialized training & a certain number of supervised hours doing AVT. Teachers of the Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing can earn the AVEd. designation, which is similar but geared towards working in a classroom setting rather than 1:1 or small-group like a SLP would. You can find out more details on the certification process on the AG Bell website.

19 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

AVT's are either SLP's or Audiologists who have specialized training & a certain number of supervised hours doing AVT. Teachers of the Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing can earn the AVEd. designation, which is similar but geared towards working in a classroom setting rather than 1:1 or small-group like a SLP would. You can find out more details on the certification process on the AG Bell website.

Thanks for that info! I just love this field. So many different paths you can take :)