Financial Statement Form (International Students)

eko

Hi all,

The Univ. of Binghampton requires the international students to submit a "Financial Statement Form".

------------------

http://www2.binghamt...nt%20app%20info

http://www2.binghamt...9%20-%20PDF.pdf

-----------------

This is a mandatory document and each int applicant has to fill it in. However, I do not have any funds and I would like to apply for assistant positions for funding. Do you think I should just ignore this document or send it "empty"?

Thank you a lot for your help, I am a bit confused

Also, I wish good luck to everyone!

I agree with Sanssouci. I asked several schools, and they will all accept this document when you find out that you've been accepted and exactly how much funding they have provided for you. It's quite natural to take your TA-ship and tuition waiver into account when you make your case for whether or not you can pay for grad school.

This form is more of a visa issue, than a departmental problem.

Some of my schools wanted it sent with the application. To me, this means either, 1) if you get in, the process will not be delayed because we already have your form, or 2) if you provide it with application, the government will be less concerned about your study in the US.

I know this because I inquired. However, it's different with every school. Some schools want it only if you're admitted.

Edited by peppermint.beatnik

Some of my schools wanted it sent with the application. To me, this means either, 1) if you get in, the process will not be delayed because we already have your form, or 2) if you provide it with application, the government will be less concerned about your study in the US.

I know this because I inquired. However, it's different with every school. Some schools want it only if your admitted.

I agree with the above. I also had to deal with this with one of my schools. I'm in the same situation as the OP, so they told me to just fill it in with all zeroes. Best to call the international office of the school that you're applying to.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this because I inquired. However, it's different with every school. Some schools want it only if you're admitted.

It is different for every school, you should contact the international admissions office.

I have worked at an international admissions office for a university and we required the financial forms only after admission so that we could complete the I-20. The school would not count the financial document requirement fulfilled until we had documentation of full funding (it could be through a combination scholarships, GA, TA, or personal funding). If we received a form that was all zeros it could not be considered fulfilled unless the department sent us evidence of a GA or TA, or if the student earned a scholarship that covered the full cost.

If your university works the same way ours did you should send in the form, even if blank, since they will most likely need the form even if you receive some form of assistantship that covers the full costs.

Sorry for the long post that may or may not be helpful.