Ridiculously stupid application status-checking routines

Maya

So as we all wait for decisions to come in, I thought I would share my neurotic daily status-checking routine with you all.

6:30am (Eastern Standard Time): wake up to get ready for work, but first:

-check every email account (even though I only used one email account for my applications). Check phone messages (because of course, if a call about being admitted is going to come in at all, it's going to happen before 6:30 in the morning, right?).

-check my account on the NYU Supporting Materials Tracking System, even though all of my materials have been accounted for, and I know that this site is not used for relaying admissions decisions. But I check it anyway.

-go to University of Michigan weblogin and check application status. After viewing 'application credentials, I go to "view financial aid document status" and then "view financial aid award notices". Then "accept or decline financial aid". I think deep down I'm hoping they have accepted me and have accidentally already posted my funding info before posting my admission status. I also click on "View I-20 or DS-2019 Status",with the same ridiculous idea in mind.

-go to Northwestern University 'apply yourself' website and click on everything that can be clicked, looking for any kind of update at all. I look everywhere for admission status, even though I know exactly on what page and where on the page the admission decision will appear when it eventually does get posted.

-check grad cafe forum results page, then sociology forum.

7:20 am: rush to get ready for work and try to catch my 7:30 bus.

8:10-20am: apologize for being late to work, and then repeat the above routine before actually starting my real work

Rest of the day: repeat the status-checking routine at least 20x. Though the email-checking happens about every 30 seconds.

Needless to say, the routine is about the same on the weekends, without the work part, and sometimes the routine gets a little mixed up if I come home intoxicated. And of course the first round of status checking happens a few hours later in the morning.

Yikes. Seeing it in writing makes me realize just how ridiculous I am. But I'll still keep doing the same thing!

I do basically the same thing, only I don't turn on my pc when I get up, just check my mail in my phone. Same routine, check every 20 mins for an update, every 30 minutes gradcafe, every time my phone vibrates for mail, again and again and again....

You are so not alone on the crazy incessant checking routine. Not only do I check my emails (and I have several) non-stop, I also turn up my ringing volume on my cellphone to the loudest. This is to prevent me missing any calls, if I am notified via phone. Gosh, I am crazy, mostly crazy about the silence and the wait.

I did the same, and a little worse. I forwarded all app data to my blackberry.....which I carry on person at all times. I also got into the habit of running after the USPS truck, I've made it part of my daily workout. Worst part is I just got my first acceptance, but it was over the phone, so until I have the packet in my hands, I'm too nervous that I imagined it so I've been waiting to post :(..... Yes, I'm that neurotic.

I did the same, and a little worse. I forwarded all app data to my blackberry.....which I carry on person at all times. I also got into the habit of running after the USPS truck, I've made it part of my daily workout. Worst part is I just got my first acceptance, but it was over the phone, so until I have the packet in my hands, I'm too nervous that I imagined it so I've been waiting to post :(..... Yes, I'm that neurotic.

Now you are gonna keep all of us guessing?? I call that evil :)

Edited by Astronautka

Now you are gonna keep all of us guessing?? I call that evil :)

I'd guess Wisco. They sent stuff out in several departments.

Am I the only one who doesn't check obsessively? Who is happy being done and doesn't want to start a new round of things to do/decisions to make? Who is trying to catch up on social things? I don't mind waiting... I just try not to think about it.

I have a question for everyone here. Is it ok, and if so at what point is it acceptable, to contact the DGS at a school to find out when decisions are going to be made?

I'm REALLY FREAKING TIRED OF WAITING! i know that most of the schools I've applied to usually send admision letters on the second week of February. but really, i want to know now.

I check my email constantly (when I get up, when I get to work, after the first cup of coffee, before the second cup of coffee, and so on). And I check the results search almost as often. It was all I could do to work on the non-internet-connected computers in the secure computer lab today for like an hour (no internet because of privacy concerns about register data). Anyway... every time I get an email, even in my spam box, my heart starts racing. This is sick.

All that coffee probably isn't helping...