Complete application now Incomplete Help!

Catlover133

I applied to CSU San Marcos on January 3rd with my transcripts from the 4 year university i went to, the 3 letters of recommendation and my personal narrative.

Today I get an email stating that I need to send in transcripts from Mira Costa Community College ( I took a summer class there years ago).

I'm very frustrated that it took the university a whole month to contact me.

On top of that I have now found out that I am not in the priority applicant pool anymore. I know it is my responsibility to have the transcripts in, but it is also the universities responsibility to communicate accordingly and I don't feel that has happened.

To make things worse, my father has emailed the Department Chair of the MSW Program asking that once my transcripts are recieved to be put back in the priority pool. Now I didn't ask him to do this, he did this on his own without talking to me.

So my question is: am I in the wrong to feel this way? What can I do?

9 minutes ago, .letmeinplz// said:

Just send in the required transcript. You still have a chance as they would have just rejected you for having an incomplete application if you didn't. 

That said, your dad sending an email might be seen as a red flag to be honest.

Why do you think it might be seen as a red flag?

2 hours ago, Catlover133 said:

Well, the university website does state that they need the transcripts from all the colleges you attended.  If community colleges were excluded, the website would've stated it (for example, one of the grad programs I applied to mentions that they don't need community college transcripts, just the institute you graduated from).  I'm actually surprised CSU contacted you, to be honest.  Most colleges state on their website that it is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that all required materials are in by the deadline.

As for your dad's email being seen as a "red flag", it could be.  Even though you didn't ask your father to do this, the admissions people don't know that.  They might think that you told your dad to email them and you could come across as someone who's not independent or can't solve his or her own problems.

Edited by alisham

2 hours ago, Catlover133 said:

I know it is my responsibility to have the transcripts in, but it is also the universities responsibility to communicate accordingly and I don't feel that has happened.

To make things worse, my father has emailed the Department Chair of the MSW Program asking that once my transcripts are recieved to be put back in the priority pool. Now I didn't ask him to do this, he did this on his own without talking to me.

Yeah, it's no one's responsibility but your own to get your materials in on time. No one is responsible for following up with you. If anything, you should be grateful that they're giving you an opportunity to submit materials a month late. I don't think you get to be upset about that. 

As for the email from your father, I have to admit that if I'd received an email like that from an applicant's father, I'd find it very strange. I don't think it did you any favors. I hope it didn't hurt you. All I can advise at the moment is to get the transcript submitted as soon as possible, and ask your family members not to intervene. No one can tell them anything about your status anyway (privacy laws would prohibit that), and it's odd at best. You're an adult now, and you're expected to behave like one, not have your parents try to wrangle special favors from officials on your behalf. 

50 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Yeah, it's no one's responsibility but your own to get your materials in on time. No one is responsible for following up with you. If anything, you should be grateful that they're giving you an opportunity to submit materials a month late. I don't think you get to be upset about that. 

As for the email from your father, I have to admit that if I'd received an email like that from an applicant's father, I'd find it very strange. I don't think it did you any favors. I hope it didn't hurt you. All I can advise at the moment is to get the transcript submitted as soon as possible, and ask your family members not to intervene. No one can tell them anything about your status anyway (privacy laws would prohibit that), and it's odd at best. You're an adult now, and you're expected to behave like one, not have your parents try to wrangle special favors from officials on your behalf. 

I agree. I didn't ask or want my father to send an email. He did it on his own accord. 

I forgot a transcript in one of my applications, and one of my referees forgot to send his letter of reference to another. >_<  What's done is done, though. You just have to learn what you can, and move forward. Just breathe deeply and binge-watch some Netflix or something until the school decides.

That is unfortunate about the single summer course warrenting a transcript.

Did your university transcript not list that course as a transfer credit?

Mine did and one of the programs requiring transcripts from all colleges/univ attended waived my community college transcript because the summer course transfer credit was listed on my bachelor transcript from university.

I'm sure you know this but the quickest way for them to receive your transcript would be electronically if that is an option or for you to pick it up from c college and overnight it to their department. 

The application process is so intricate and it is a shame that insignificant factors such as 1 course can affect your application.

Hopefully it will all work out, just remember that when one door closes another opens. 

Good luck!

20 hours ago, weshh said:

That is unfortunate about the single summer course warrenting a transcript.

Did your university transcript not list that course as a transfer credit?

Mine did and one of the programs requiring transcripts from all colleges/univ attended waived my community college transcript because the summer course transfer credit was listed on my bachelor transcript from university.

I'm sure you know this but the quickest way for them to receive your transcript would be electronically if that is an option or for you to pick it up from c college and overnight it to their department. 

The application process is so intricate and it is a shame that insignificant factors such as 1 course can affect your application.

Hopefully it will all work out, just remember that when one door closes another opens. 

Good luck!

It was on my transcript from my 4 year university. I completely forgot to request the transcript so it's my fault. Thankfully I'm having it electronically delivered. I'm just worried now that there will be negative repercussions because of my father e-mailing the Department Chair as well as the fact that I e-mailed 2 different staff about this issue. Oh well though, part of me feels like they're used to this kind of thing. Only thing I can do now is wait.