Jump to content

Second choice school wants a decision before I'll even hear back from my top choice


Recommended Posts

Hi! I'm looking for advice. I've been accepted to my second-choice school, but I'm still waiting to hear from my first-choice school. My #2 school wants a decision by March 1st, but I don't expect to hear back from my #1 school until mid-March... Can I ask my #2 school to extend my decision deadline? Is that even possible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The agreement looks like it only applies to funding, of which they made no mention. I have an outside fellowship that covers my cost of attendance up to $39,800 per year. The estimated COA for the school is $42,000 per year, so I imagine with a few days per month subbing at the local school district, I should be okay.

If I email them asking for an extended deadline, will that reflect poorly on me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, it won't reflect poorly on you. And if a school that hasn't offered you funding is pressuring you to make a decision, in my opinion the only thing you can do is accept, and later rescind if you get a better offer. I don't think anyone can fault you for that. But for starters, see about getting an extension. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use