ENMU online courses

Hello all,

I'm looking into taking two courses at ENMU this summer. I see they are short courses, approximately 8 weeks long. Has anyone taken CDIS courses through ENMU during the summer, and can you testify as to the difficulty level of the classes given how short they are?

Thanks,

Kate

I'm taking ENMU course right now.  I started in the fall.  I never took any of the 8-week courses, but I hear they can be intense.  I guess it just depends on what your schedule outside of taking classes is and how focused you are.  I took 9 hours last semester and am taking 9 now.  I'm working full-time which is why I don't want to take 8-week courses.  It's better for me, personally, to stretch it out, and I'm doing well.  I do love ENMU's program. 

2 hours ago, Kate22192 said:

Do you both think they are manageable if I work full-time? I was also looking at a two-ish week vacation this summer, which simply won't be possible if I take these courses, it seems....

I did them while working full-time but it was very hard to maintain anything outside of this. The professors vary too in their toughness. I had one where it was impossible to receive an A without studying at least 10 hours a week. 

20 hours ago, kayyyyy_ said:

I did them while working full-time but it was very hard to maintain anything outside of this. The professors vary too in their toughness. I had one where it was impossible to receive an A without studying at least 10 hours a week. 

Jeez, that's intense!!! I wonder if there's anywhere else to take these that isn't so intense/only 8 weeks

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, Kate22192 said:

Do you both think they are manageable if I work full-time? I was also looking at a two-ish week vacation this summer, which simply won't be possible if I take these courses, it seems....

I know I probably couldn't.  How many are you planning on taking?  One might be manageable, but I don't know about more than two.  So far, I haven't encountered an overly tough professor. 

35 minutes ago, edardi1 said:

I know I probably couldn't.  How many are you planning on taking?  One might be manageable, but I don't know about more than two.  So far, I haven't encountered an overly tough professor. 

I was planning on taking 2. I'd honestly much rather a typical 12 or 16 week course but I can't seem to find Intro to Comm Disorders as well as Neuro at the same school.

6 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

I was planning on taking 2. I'd honestly much rather a typical 12 or 16 week course but I can't seem to find Intro to Comm Disorders as well as Neuro at the same school.

Try UWEC. I took intro to comm disorders there and the professor was so nice!

4 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

Try UWEC. I took intro to comm disorders there and the professor was so nice!

Somehow I'm not seeing an Intro to Comm Disorders class? I see "Developmental Language Disorders" but not Intro

8 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

hmm it's CSD 150, i took it during the summer so maybe that's when they offer it. 

Weird, it totally wasn't on their website! I'll email them for more info. Do you know if it was a regular 16 week course?

20 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

Weird, it totally wasn't on their website! I'll email them for more info. Do you know if it was a regular 16 week course?

No it was a 8 week course, started June 5th and went to August 8th! 

2 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

No it was a 8 week course, started June 5th and went to August 8th! 

Darn. I'm hoping for something more like...at least 12 weeks. So they're not SO intense, and so I have a chance of doing a vacation. I managed a 9 day trip while doing online courses at Utah last summer by working ahead but I imagine that's just a nuts idea in an 8 week course

For that one, I was actually in Europe for 14 days. The professor let me work ahead completely and it was super manageable. 

4 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

Darn. I'm hoping for something more like...at least 12 weeks. So they're not SO intense, and so I have a chance of doing a vacation. I managed a 9 day trip while doing online courses at Utah last summer by working ahead but I imagine that's just a nuts idea in an 8 week course

2 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

For that one, I was actually in Europe for 14 days. The professor let me work ahead completely and it was super manageable. 

Oh really? Interesting. I'd need that prof and the neuro prof to do that for me...

3 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

Oh really? Interesting. I'd need that prof and the neuro prof to do that for me...

Yeah and I still have notes and stuff if you get into that class just let me know!

Hello! My question to you is are you looking at UG or grad classes? I'm a current grad student at ENMU and when I was registered as a non-degree grad, I looked into taking a summer grad course. I was advised not to by the department chair as the summer grad courses are intense and will "consume you." If you're not in a grad program, I would suggest contacting Dr. Swift and the instructor of the course(s) you are interested in taking for advice. Keep in mind, GPA! You don't want to jeopardize your chances of getting into a grad program because of wanting to "get it out of the way" during the summer and potentially getting a lower grade than taking a regular 16-week course. 

• 3 months later...

I think I'd love 8 week classes. I have an 8 week attention span. My alma mater was on quarters and I loved it, 10 weeks and you're done. I took a graduate class in Entomology a couple years ago and even though I love the subject I thought the 14 week class would never end. I'll be in trouble if I can't find a grad school on quarters.:huh:

Edited by tonguelover

I took the 8 week Neuro course last summer and there is no way you can take a vacation during it. Its fast paced with loads of information. Even if you worked ahead its so much information to remember I would not recommend doing that if you are want to get an A. I took two 8 week courses last summer and worked 10ish hours a week and pretty much spent most of time studying for Neuro. I went on vacation literally a few hours after my final! lol

On 2/5/2017 at 1:47 PM, Kate22192 said:

Hello all,

I'm looking into taking two courses at ENMU this summer. I see they are short courses, approximately 8 weeks long. Has anyone taken CDIS courses through ENMU during the summer, and can you testify as to the difficulty level of the classes given how short they are?

Thanks,

Kate