Alternative programs to consider if I'm not accepted to an English PhD program?

charolastra

Question

Application season was horrible for me, so I'm not really expecting an acceptance. While waiting for results, I'm contemplating what to do if rejection is my future. Would a gap year be good? Or should I consider a Masters programs? Are there any funded English Masters programs? Post-Baccs? Any programs/jobs/internships that would be good to consider while waiting for the next round of applications for the English phD? I'm feeling discouraged, but hoping that other opportunities might actually allow for a better application next go round. 

1 answer to this question

A gap year is never a bad idea. It gives you a chance to taste life outside of academia and rejuvenate for the major grind that grad school is. Most funded master's programs have deadlines at the same time as PhD programs so it's probably too late to try that for this cycle. Applying to both MA and PhD programs next time is a great idea though.