do adcomms read this forum/your Facebook/etc?

kismetcapitan

LOL My facebook profile is private that only those in my Networks can search me up. So the person who has my name on Google's search results... if you just look at my undergrad, you'll note that this person didn't go to my undergrad (good thing considering that the picture isn't really attractive!). It took me to the second page to find the real ME.... my universal Amazon book wish list.

Fortunately, those are good books that I'm asking for! :)

But I'm still fretting a bit about my Skype profile picture for one of the schools as the prof and I talked to each other over Skype (not video)... I actually changed my old picture of me holding my baby cousin not to give any wrong impressions to another picture of just me.

I don't want to start controversy but I think you should be a little more sensitive . Some of us that are applying to grad school do have children. And I don't believe that my Facebook picture with my husband and daughter is at all giving "the wrong impression." I can't speak for other programs but the one's I'm applying to specifically state on there websites that they are family friendly. In fact I wouldn't want to be part of a program that frowned upon women with children because I can almost bet there's a double standard and they don't see it as an issue for the men to have a child. Sorry but this is a sensitive point for me.

I don't want to start controversy but I think you should be a little more sensitive . Some of us that are applying to grad school do have children. And I don't believe that my Facebook picture with my husband and daughter is at all giving "the wrong impression." I can't speak for other programs but the one's I'm applying to specifically state on there websites that they are family friendly. In fact I wouldn't want to be part of a program that frowned upon women with children because I can almost bet there's a double standard and they don't see it as an issue for the men to have a child. Sorry but this is a sensitive point for me.

Maybe Im dense but how would family status even factor into the admission process. My current fb profile image is an artistic photo of my little girl hugging me. I never reference the fact that I have a wife and two kids on either app nor expected it to come up in this process.

As to the original subject matter here, my name is relatively common unless you add where I live. Then Im more findable

So this got me curious to google my name (my first name is different spelling so nothing has ever shown up before) and I am happy to say that the first three pages just contained my publications, academic announcements, awards, presentations, and research. I also found out that I was thanked in a publication that I was not an author on or anything. My facebook is on the most private setting so that didn't even show up. Then after page three I guess there is some softball player in Michigan that is awesome, so I guess that wouldn't be too bad either haha. Essentially, please Google me schools smile.gif

I don't think ticklemepink was being insensitive at all..

Fact is, from what I can tell, he/she doesn't have a child. So if people would see a pic of her holding a little baby and assume it was his/hers, they would, in fact, get the "wrong impression".

Maybe Im dense but how would family status even factor into the admission process. My current fb profile image is an artistic photo of my little girl hugging me. I never reference the fact that I have a wife and two kids on either app nor expected it to come up in this process.

As to the original subject matter here, my name is relatively common unless you add where I live. Then Im more findable

That was exactly my point it should not matter. But someone said that pictures with children could give the wrong impression and I thought they were a little insensitive. But like I said before I don't want to start controversy. I just wanted to point out that many of us have children and I'm not afraid of letting admissions committees know that. In fact one of my most prestigious awards was an academic award from undergrad given to one academically outstanding nontraditional every year. And I listed this in the awards sections of the application so I'm sure they do have an idea of my family status.

Sorry this is so off subject.

Edited by MelMcC

I just googled myself. My facebook page comes up (just a pic of me and my twin at a Cubs game). Then it's a pic of me from work holding a giant check. Our teacher fundraising group gave me money to attend an academic conference (I'm a teacher). I look like I just won the lotto!

Then there are a whole bunch of hits for old women from Germany who have the same name as me who apparently have died, or have had a relative die, because it's always listed in the obituaries. A little more creepy, but obviously not me.

I don't think ticklemepink was being insensitive at all..

Fact is, from what I can tell, he/she doesn't have a child. So if people would see a pic of her holding a little baby and assume it was his/hers, they would, in fact, get the "wrong impression".

Sorry if I offended anyone, maybe I was being TOO sensitive. I just originally read her post as stating that appearing to have children would be a bad thing and considering I fight the assumption of "mom = not dedicated" everyday I can be a little sensitive. Sorry ticklemepink and melusine and anyone else who thought my post was unwarranted.

Edited by MelMcC